Withdrawing pension before 55 to invest?

Comments

• Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Sorry, but I would not want to use a mortgage adviser who did not understand pensions and investments.

Would you use a podiatrist that had little knowledge of brain surgery?

Mortgage advisers are supposed to know about mortgages, and a passing knowledge of life insurance also helps. They certainly don't need to know pension legislation.

In any case the OP isn't even a mortgage adviser, he's a manager.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sorry, but I would not want to use a mortgage adviser who did not understand pensions and investments.

That is unfair.

The days of a jack-of-all-trades are gone. Most investment level advisers do not do mortgages. They use mortgage advisers (who do not do investments).

There are also plenty of mortgage broker businesses without any investment adviser link at all (which I consider daft as we have an agreement with several mortgage brokers who refer investment class business to us and they earn more from the investment referral than they do their primary role) However, mortgage advisers are a defined role nowadays.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Malthusian wrote: »
    Would you use a podiatrist that had little knowledge of brain surgery?

Mortgage advisers are supposed to know about mortgages, and a passing knowledge of life insurance also helps. They certainly don't need to know pension legislation.

Two couples in their early 50s come to you for advice on a £400k mortgage. One couple has pensions and ISAs valued at £3m; the other couple has no pensions or investments.

Would you give the same mortgage advice to both couples?
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    McDizzle wrote: »
    Thank you to those that have replied. Don't worry this isn't anyone trying to scam me it was just something that a friend had quoted and it didn't seem quite right as I couldn't find any information about it online.

Thanks again.

Tell your friend it is illegal and not to do it
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Two couples in their early 50s come to you for advice on a £400k mortgage. One couple has pensions and ISAs valued at £3m; the other couple has no pensions or investments.

Which one do you think I should not recommend the most competitive lender to?

I'm assuming the first couple has their reasons for not being cash buyers as otherwise this is going to be a short meeting.

The information given only affects the mortgage advice if the first couple qualifies for a more competitive mortgage due to meeting affordability requirements, or would benefit from an offset mortgage, however the only knowledge I require to give correct mortgage advice is that they have a lot of money, I still don't need a detailed knowledge of pensions legislation.
  • RickyB2000
    RickyB2000 Posts: 321 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

My experience of mortgage advisors is they are not there to advise on whether buying a house is a good idea, or how you should go about buying a house. You ring them up and you say I need a mortgage. They ask questions about the sort of mortgage you want, but they don't really advise about whether you should go for say a 2 year fix or a 5 year fix (other than pointing out the differences between the two). They understand affordability etc so you only apply for a mortgage you will actually get. They help you make the decision, but they don't do it for you. If you have a lot of money they may suggest going offset, but they are unlikely to suggest you become a cash buyer - after all you rang them for a mortgage.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    My experience of mortgage advisors is they are not there to advise on whether buying a house is a good idea, or how you should go about buying a house. You ring them up and you say I need a mortgage.

That is it.
    but they don't really advise about whether you should go for say a 2 year fix or a 5 year fix (other than pointing out the differences between the two).

Actually, they should cover that bit off. Sometimes it is guidance (as more than one method often works) but they are also responsible for making sure the deal you select is appropriate. e.g. if you say you are moving in 3 years and they arrange a 5 year fixed, then that would be a failure that would see a complaint go against them. Or if you say you are looking for certainty of payment amount, then they should arrange a fixed etc.

They should record enough info in their factfind to allow them to filter many of the options down.

They are not financial planners though as has been said.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • RickyB2000
    RickyB2000 Posts: 321 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    dunstonh wrote: »
    That is it.

Actually, they should cover that bit off. Sometimes it is guidance (as more than one method often works) but they are also responsible for making sure the deal you select is appropriate. e.g. if you say you are moving in 3 years and they arrange a 5 year fixed, then that would be a failure that would see a complaint go against them. Or if you say you are looking for certainty of payment amount, then they should arrange a fixed etc.

They should record enough info in their factfind to allow them to filter many of the options down.

They are not financial planners though as has been said.

Yes, true. I usually have a pretty good idea what I want when I speak to them. They just help find the best deal, remove some of the uncertainty around affordability and picky lenders and in theory make the application process easier.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 25 July 2017 at 8:43PM
    McDizzle wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have good overall financial knowledge as I manage a team of mortgage advisors but I have little experience of pensions and investments so could do with some help if possible.

I have been told that it may be possible to withdraw 55% of your pension pot (whenever you like not just after age 55) to buy a property and use that property as part of your retirement plan.

Can anyone shed any light on whether this is an option and if so some of the conditions that may apply.

For example, let's say you can do this and I buy a property to rent out. Does all of the rental income have to be reinvested into my pension pot or could this be used to as part of my normal income to spend on what I like?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry but what i think you mean there is "i can do sums and work out interest payments and commission well"

Everything you say after that first paragraph shows that you do not have good financial knowledge.

Your thread title is " Withdrawing pension before 55 to invest?" but your pension IS invested !

As said by others its illegal to withdraw it before 55, but even if you were 55 unless you were heading for well over a million in your pension, it would still in be a completely insane and financially utterly inept thing to take your pension money and buy any investment with it, let alone a house.

This is before you even get into the recent changes about BTL and taxation making it much less profitable (in some cases not even marginally profitable.

And thats before you look at the risk aspect of a single investment (house).

Stick to your mortgage advising and spend a year or two learning about pensions and then maybe you can look at how the investments in your pension are doing. I'd recommend the Monevator website.

**let's try to keep the forums a friendly place** Forum Team
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    even if you were 55 unless you were heading for well over a million in your pension, it would still in be a completely insane and financially utterly inept thing to take your pension money and buy any investment with it
    Or maybe not, since I intend to do that, starting with the 25% tax free sum as soon as the law allows, then taxable as soon and as fast as is sensible given its effect on future pension contributions and tax efficiency.

That will increase my investment options, notably facilitating more P2P. The withdrawing combined with VCT investing will minimise the tax cost of withdrawing and increase future availability of unfettered lumps of money and untaxed future income. In essence I'll get it all out at no or negative net tax cost and arrange ongoing tax free or exempt income.

It's not surprising that a mortgage broker is interested in BTL. While pension law does ban withdrawing to do it before 55 in most cases, non-residential is fine including with a mortgage. Might be an excessive portion of total investments, we don't know enough about their situation or how many properties might be involved.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure