Can husband and wife both claim ESA?

124»

Comments

• Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 641
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks Epitome.. i hit a 'not-so-good' patch so didn't update after the call.

ESA phoned back and spoke to my husband, I was asleep after meds. I know he is on my doctors, hospital, social services records as able to speak for me but hadn't realised I'd added him on my ESA..so that was a stroke of luck.

He explained what we were trying to do, the letter from IS and answered some questions and ESA agreed to remove the Income related entitlement. They asked him to wait half an hour before phoning IS so she could email IS with a confirmation.

He phoned IS and they could see IR was stopped and said they'd proceed with the claim and we didn't have to post anything back.

They made no mention of WTC.

I am hoping everything is now in order.. and just waiting for letters with the next step to arrive.

Thank you so much for checking back on me.. it really means a lot that I have had so much help and support.
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    Please phone ESA and make sure your ESA Conts has been rebuilt as an ESA Conts only live claim still in payment.
  • Cyclamen
    Forumite
    edited 31 July 2017 at 6:03AM
    Post at the end of last week included two letters from esa, the same date so no clues as to which was correct.
    1) writing to tell you your esa has been stopped because we can no longer pay you..
    2) writing to tell you you will receve £109 ESA (not certain on amount and again its out of my reach at the moment)

Huge panic. My husband phoned and they had failed to fill in Income related for the first letter and contributions based for the second. I do wonder about who drafts there letters! They are often confusing.

My ESA contributions is still being paid and I checked with online banking.

My husband received a letter from income support and he has been accepted. After the 'run-on' from working tax credits ends he will get just under £40 a week. We are both happy with this and it will help enormously.

The job centre said he could earn £20 as a disregard before this is taken off his Income support. He plans to do some online survey sites does he have to tell them this? Or does he just keep a record of any pay outs with dates etc.

Thank you.

P.S sadly my ESA renewal form has arrived. Bad timing as I am struggling having been trying to help with all the changes here, a 'not-so-good patch' and paperwork. I've been putting it off for a week but after hospital today it will have to be our next task. I think it was due so I'm trying not to feel ganged up on.
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    IS = £40 a week, what I said it should be, sounds about right. Good.

If he starts work, or receives an income he must tell IS and CA
    Cyclamen wrote: »
    Thank you..
    No problem, nice to see a thread complete to the end.

Bye
  • Cyclamen
    Forumite
    Yes you were spot on.

We will tell them any changes.. as i said earlier I am scared of getting into debt/trouble.

We were told a £20 disregard but think I'll write and tell them he does online surveys and earns X amount a week usually and see what they say.

Huge thanks Epitome.. its been a bit of a rollercoaster so your help and calculations and kindness are greatly appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure