Utility warehouse bill URGENt

Options
I am at my wits end utility warehouse will not give me an answer and are saying that they are going to take £315 this month for gas/electric and broadband and phone ,yet my my smart meter tells me that for the last three months my smart meter has been showing less than £50 per month for gas and electric ive asked them on repeated occasions why and they refuse to put anything in writing where my money is going and NO im not in debit on my account ,i really worried and at my wits end don't know where to turn to for help or what to do can anybody help me,not sure of next move desperately need advice

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    No company can take a disputed amount by Direct Debit as you are covered by the Direct Debit Guarantee. Just tell your bank not to pay anything, or recover any payment if it is too late. The Bank are responsible to you as their customer.

Send an email(don't telephone) to UW demanding a full detailed bill and an explanation for the £315 bill. If they don't respond, submit a formal complaint and eventually go to the Ombudsman.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can cancel a direct debit at any time. Just contact your bank and ask them to cancel it.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • SummerFun
    SummerFun Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    If you think they owe you money at any time, and are not prepared to reimburse you, sue 'em!
  • SummerFun
    SummerFun Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    No company can take a disputed amount by Direct Debit as you are covered by the Direct Debit Guarantee. ...

Which part of the guarantee covers that?
    Direct Debit Guarantee
    • The Guarantee is offered by all banks and building societies that accept instructions to pay Direct Debits
    • If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit the organisation will notify you (normally 10 working days) in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request the organisation to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request
    • If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society
      • If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when the organisation asks you to
    • You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society. Written confirmation may be required. Please also notify the organisation.

But there is a clause that covers receiving a refund you are not entitled to ;)

Also
    * The Guarantee covers Direct Debit payments. It cannot be used to address contractual disputes between you and the billing organisation.​

Source: https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/pages/directdebitguarantee.aspx
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    SummerFun wrote: »
    Which part of the guarantee covers that?

But there is a clause that covers receiving a refund you are not entitled to ;)

Source: https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/pages/directdebitguarantee.aspx

You omitted this section from the link above.
    The Direct Debit Guarantee applies to all Direct Debits. It protects you in the rare event that there is an error in the payment of your Direct Debit*.

As far as you are concerned the £315 payment is an error unless you have a detailed bill for that amount. What if they said they were going to take £50,000?

As said previously, you are the Bank's customer and they follow your instructions; not that of the Energy Company. You do not need to justify to the bank your decision.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Can you post a copy of the latest bill - delete the name and address bit.

Don't forget your UW bill also includes phone and broadband - have you exceeded a GB limit ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport