PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

First time buyer - competing with other buyers

Hi All,
I'm hoping someone can offer some advice, as my fiance and I are getting rather fed up with the process of buying a house having been looking for 6 months now.

We are first time buyers with the fortunate position to have a decent £16k to put towards a deposit (MAX).
This gives us 10% towards a reasonable deposit for a property around Bury/Rawtenstall in Lancashire.

As a building surveyor myself, I like to think I know what I'm looking at when I view a property and therefore understand a bit more of what a property will take to put right etc. So I'm happy to take on a bit of work.

We've lived in a flat for 4 years now though and so for us, the outside is more important than the inside. We'd ideally like a nice garden, off road parking and a garage would be ideal but not essential.

We've found 2-3 big properties now which fit well within our budgets but require work. We put offers in on two. The first was accepted but then when the mortgage company came to value the property they valued it at less than our offer and so the seller refused to sell for that price. With no more money to put in, we had to pull out. Leaving us £370 out of pocket! :eek:

The second we loved too! Again needing stripping out and re-doing but this time we have been out-done by a cash buyer who was willing to pay more than the asking price.

I thought being a first time buyer without a chain would leave us in an advantageous position, but it seems like an impossible task.

I wondered if anyone could offer any advice on how we get on this ladder? I thought raising the deposit would be the hard part!!

(P.S; we don't want to buy new build, we'd rather take on a bit of a project with more character).

Comments

• ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sounds like you've been unlucky, but look at it from the sellers' perspective: why should they sell it for a lower price to someone just because they're a first time buyer?

FTB's just ain't special when someone else has deeper pockets. Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Echo the above. FTB can be an advantage in many ways, but if someone's not desperate to sell they will be quite happy to wait longer for a few more grand.

Cash buyers will probably come ahead of you. Especially ones willing to oh above what you will. As will anyone willing to pay more than you in most cases.

You will get there though!
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Another echo here.

Being a FTB is all well and good, but £££ is probably more important to most sellers.

Be patient, you will get there.
  • david1951
    david1951 Posts: 431 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Being at the absolute limit of your budget doesn't help. You need to be prepared for unexpected costs, including after you've bought the house (boiler breaks down on day 1 etc.). During the buying process all sorts of things can crop up that require more money (indemnity insurance, extra solicitor work, inspections from survey, etc.). Having a buffer also means you are in a position to withdraw your offer, e.g., if the seller starts messing you around, bed survey results, etc.

What left you £370 out of pocket?
  • Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Plus at the price you are looking at, there'll be a lot of first time buyers.

We've just sold our house, we had 6 offers, all from 1st time buyers, some with very good deposits. Ultimately, it came down to who offered the most.
  • Surrey_EA
    david1951 wrote: »
    What left you £370 out of pocket?

Mortgage valuation I guess.
  • bobsy852
    bobsy852 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Surrey_EA wrote: »
    Mortgage valuation I guess.

Yeah mortgage valuation.

I know I can't do anything about coming up against cash buyers. Just seems to be a lot of competition on the properties we like. Only one we didn't get competition on was one that was prone to flooding! But even we decided we didn't like that property enough to risk having to repair it every year!

I'm just finding the whole process very frustrating. Estate agents aren't really flexible enough and my fianece and I work in different places and are available at different times making viewings difficult.

The market also seems pretty stagnant in that properties don't change much so we struggle to find anything new we like!

We'll have to keep looking. I'm just hoping it doesn't go on much longer! I can see why people buy new builds. A shame they don't offer what we want.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I suspect from what you've said and the way you've said it, your frustration arises from the fact that your expectations tend towards the unrealistic, and may require a little management. Downwards.
  • LadyL2013
    LadyL2013 Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Been in the same position myself. ALWAYS lost out to investors who could always go well above the asking price, even when I was offering substantial amounts over. But I have my own feelings about investors being allowed to by smaller properties (but that's for another thread) and doing FTB's out of a house.

Anyhoo, the current property that is currently going through the motions I only got because the sellers had a preference to give the house to an FTB over an investor because they struggled to get on the ladder and wanted to give it to someone who was in their position. I ended up having to go 10k above asking price (very common here) to get it and still the investor offered more than me.

Now I'm worried about the valuation!

But unfortunately in this market where stamp duty laws have changed and investors will now be setting their sights on smaller properties, it's going to be harder than ever. Money is king at the moment. The only thing you can do is keep going and eventually, it'll work out for you. But I really feel your pain, I do. Every single property I've gone for I've lost out to an investor.
  • Surrey_EA
    bobsy852 wrote: »

I'm just finding the whole process very frustrating. Estate agents aren't really flexible enough and my fianece and I work in different places and are available at different times making viewings difficult.

Are you both available on a Saturday? Surely all EAs open on Saturdays?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure