PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Green BT/telecoms box on house property

dc197
dc197 Posts: 812 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Anniversary
edited 28 January 2016 at 1:16PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hello
Does anyone have any experience with a property (either one you currently own or have thought about buying) which has a green BT or telecoms cabinet/box on it?
Does access by BT/etc ever give you any problems? Do BT ask or warn in advance, or do you just wake up one morning to find a man kneeling in your front garden?
Any other thoughts or comments please?

We're looking at a house that has a cabinet about 1m into the property in the front garden. I can't foresee it being a problem unless BT are there every other day or cause disruption.
But I'd love to hear your views please.

Thanks in advance

UPDATE - the following is now the actual box, not just a stock photo.
BT_box_on_tweed.jpg

Comments

• marksoton
    marksoton Posts: 17,516 Forumite
    For comms i wouldn't worry so much. They rarely require intrusive access.

Water pumping stations etc you need to be belt and braces.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    BT access to the box will mainly be reactive - somebody logs a fault, and if their visit to the property shows the fault needs access to the box, then they go and access the box there and then.

How often will that be? How long's a piece of string?
  • chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    If you've got one of those in your front garden, you'll get damned good FTTC broadband speeds ;)
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    chris_m wrote: »
    If you've got one of those in your front garden, you'll get damned good FTTC broadband speeds ;)
    Soon as they get round to doing something with the loops dangling from most poles around these parts, we'll have FTTP...
  • You can expect them there every time someone nearby orders an upgrade or downgrade of service or logs a fault. I pass one on a daily basis and there's an engineer's backside sticking out of at least every couple of weeks.
    And that's just at 9am.
    3.9kWp solar PV installed 21 Sept 2011, due S and 42° roof.
    17,011kWh generated as at 30 September 2016 - system has now paid for itself. :beer:
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    You can expect them there every time someone nearby orders an upgrade or downgrade of service or logs a fault. I pass one on a daily basis and there's an engineer's backside sticking out of at least every couple of weeks.
    And that's just at 9am.

Assuming the backside is on view from the road, it isn't much of an issue from the home owner.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    It is quite unusual for BT to place these on private property; not unheard of, but unusual enough that, in your position, I'd double and triple check my ownership of that area.

They aren't intrusive, they aren't often accessed and having one does, indeed, mean excellent communications speed and reliability. I'd regard it as a plus. The minus for me would be the underground routing from the box, and the virtual impossibility of having the box moved for, say, building an extension, garage, or access. May not trouble you in the slightest.

But I'd still be triple-checking my ownership!
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The one at the end of my road has someone there on probably at least 10% of the time I pass by. I'd guess its not faults but upgrades and installations.
    Can they access it from the road? Or do they need to go into your garden?
  • Vxs
    Vxs Posts: 39 Forumite
    edited 27 January 2016 at 8:35PM
    chris_m wrote: »

This was my first thought lol

in-fact, you might even be able to get FTTP for next to nothing!

Most areas have copper to the green cab and fibre to the exchange, yours being so close would be an easy install for fibre to the cab if its still on old copper. To someone who demands good internet or works from home this is a House PRO not a CON, I would love my cab to be in my front yard lol
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    If it is on the property shouldn't there be an annual payment for having it there?.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure