Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lidl - the 6 packs of small 'doughnut' peaches. Beware, the Mrs bought a pack of 6 yesterday, looked fine but today found 5 out of the 6 were rotten.
    As they're in a pack it's hard to check if they are in fact over soft.
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    PLRFD wrote: »
    I can report that Lidl Deluxe Melton Mowbray pork pie is pretty much tasteless.

There was a taste test of half a dozen different pork pies on one of the TV shows last week ( cannot remember which one ). Dickinson & Morris came out top by a long way
    https://www.porkpie.co.uk/
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    Lidl - the 6 packs of small 'doughnut' peaches. Beware, the Mrs bought a pack of 6 yesterday, looked fine but today found 5 out of the 6 were rotten.

I got some of those, and they have been nice so far (still got 3 left).

Also the raspberries I've had from both Lidl & Aldi over the past couple of weeks have been excellent, and I've not had to throw a single one away.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    I've not had a good experience with these before - white fleshed and never seem to ripen!

Whereas the nectarines I bought recently at Aldi the other week have been in the fridge and are absolutely delicious: sweet, tangy and juicy.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • glensmen
    glensmen Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lidl thai green curry paste - terrible, bland green goop. Not significantly cheaper than elsewhere either.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I've not had a good experience with these before - white fleshed and never seem to ripen!

Whereas the nectarines I bought recently at Aldi the other week have been in the fridge and are absolutely delicious: sweet, tangy and juicy.

My successful experience with them [cheap Doughnut Peaches] comes from buying them when they are still hard, and then putting a few at a time on the window sill to ripen. (I've even put ripened ones back in the fridge and they've been okay to eat for another couple of days).
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Lidls own hummus under the name "Meadow Fresh" came out best on today taste test on "Eat Well For Less" on BBC1 - and nearly half the price of the others tried ( and a third the price of the most expensive )
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So the Mrs bought a selection of veg from Lidl last Monday, stored in fridge, cooked them on Wednesday, but discovered they were very soft by then, not really edible. That was our final Lidl veg shop. Lidl needs to get its butt into gear about its fruit and veg, since we can't do a full shop there we'll be giving Lidl a miss in future.
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've had problems with Lidl veg from day one.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    Went to Lidl yesterday and they had 1kg tubs. Guy next to me in the queue (probably from Indian restaurant) was buying a tray! Maybe that's why you can't find them.

(Greek full fat yogurt) Ooooh that's an interesting thought. My Lidl is in a studenty area with lots of Indian restaurants around so that makes sense. Will carry on looking, just in case.

Bought a jar of Aldi Caramelised Red Onion Sweet Chutney last week and it is quite good! (Sorry can't remember price). Not as good as my home made spiced plum chutney but I didn't make enough last year so have run out!! :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure