Topcashback Questions & Answers

Comments

• steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Everyone,

@steve1500 - I do believe the matter has been resolved but if you prefer, feel free to drop me an email to [EMAIL="mse@topcashback.co.uk"]mse@topcashback.co.uk[/EMAIL] .Please be aware I can only take a look into transactions on your own account in this instance.

Still broken
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D

• While your claims are being looked into, TopCashback is also doing some overall investigations into what has happened with these.

Best wishes,
    Matt

18 October 2016

Customer Resolution Investigator
    Co-operative Bank

Re: Your letter 10 October 2016 - ref ,,,,,,,,,,

My complaint related to a Current Account affiliate marketing promotion that Co-operative Bank promoted/marketed sold for a cashback reward of 125.00 via www.topcashback.co.uk on 18 April 2016. I complained of Cashback Misselling - Apparent Failure To Honour/Pay In A Timely Manner An Advertised/Promoted Cashback Incentive Via Third Party - www.topcashback.co.uk For Successfully Opening Account Number And Completing A Full Switch.

800.00 deposited every month from outside source

Salary/Pension credit credited to account every month since May 2016

4 direct debits paid out every month

Full switch completed with switched in account closed

I have not previously received a Cashback Incentive from Cooperative Bank via "any" "CashbackSite" "Moneysupermarket.com! is a "Comparison Site" as opposed to a "Cashback Site"

T+C posted on TCB website did not bar existing customers who had previously received incentives from any source with exception of via TCB, paid in 800.00 during any previous months from the cashback offer that I accepted and duly went on to fulfill all T+C. T+C posted on TCB website

As I told you during Phone Call - Co-operative Bank/TCB T+C are plastered all across forums.moneysavingexpert.com

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5387309#3 - January 2016

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5387309&page=13#245 - April 2016 - Cashback value offered merely varied as illustrated by this thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5444472&highlight=coop+bank

During Phone Call when I mentioned transaction was confirmed you answered "it was confirmed was it" this indicates that you know how cashback incentives via cashback sites work.

Following your Phone Call I sent secure messages relaying the T+C from TCB website which related to 125.00 cashback incentive - Cooperative Bank offered via TCB

The transaction tracked and was subsequently confirmed on/around 12 July, confirmed means in the words of TCB "Confirmed means we have been alerted that we are eligible for the commission and will be paid in due course"

Five Months and a week after the transaction date in common with many other users on www.moneysavingexpert.com forums the transaction was rejected, TCB inform me it has been given no apparent reason for this.

18 Apr 2016 £0.00 £126.25 declined

On 27th September I submitted to TCB an appeal claim against Cooperative Bank decline of above transaction - This was and remains only response

06 Oct 2016 - TCB - Member Id ..........
    Hi There,
    Sorry to contact you out of the blue, we have recently been advised that The Co-operative Bank require further information for us to be able to submit claims so that they can successfully look into the transaction and resolve claims.
    As we are still waiting for the exact information that they require, we are placing your claim on hold until we receive this information.
    Once we receive this information, we will be in touch to request this and then we will submit your claim for review.
    Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
    Regards

I asked -

1. Are Co-operative Bank aware that FCA state all promotions should be paid within four months in this electronic world?

Why after 5.5 Months have I not been paid 125.00 cashback incentive for successfully participating in Cooperative Bank marketing promotion via TCB on 18th April?

2. What is the reason for my apparent valid promotion transaction having been rejected/refused for payment.

Why did you respond by quoting and attaching a screenshot of Cooperative Bank T+C relating to Co-Operative Bank 150.00 switch offer which has been offered directly via Co-Operative Bank via its own website since 3 May 2016?

TCB merely included this information on its website, clue is in opening words of the screen shot
    "In addition to the cashback offer from TCB The Cooperative Bank is also offering ......"

Do you agree that Cooperative Bank 150.00 switch offer offered via Cooperative Bank website screen shot you attached started on 3 May 2016?

Cooperative Bank confirmed TCB cashback transaction of 125.00 on 12 July- Was that a mistake by Cooperative Bank?

Cooperative Bank declined TCB cashback transaction of 125.00 on/around 25 September Was that a mistake by Cooperative Bank?

Do you agree that you made a mistake by answering my concerns/complaint re non payment of TCB 125.00 cashback incentive from 18th April 2016 by quoting and sending a screen shot of Cooperative Bank 150.00 switch offer which started on 3 May 2016 via its own website?

Why have Cooperative Bank made - there is some suggestion -one mistake too many in relation to its marketing promotion/incentive offer/attempts to buy current account market share via offering a TCB cashback incentive TCB?

Why are Cooperative Bank as evidenced by many posts on Moneysavingexpert forum attempting to renage on many confirmed TCB confirmed transactions?

Moneysavingexpert forum evidences many people have had Co-operative Bank/TCB confirmed transactions from different value cashback promotions subsequently rejected, Why have Co-operative Bank made so many mistakes?

I am giving Co-operative Bank a second opportunity to resolve my complaint thus avoiding a likely FCA fee, Cooperative Bank making itself look incredibly ridiculous in the eyes of FCA.

Your failure to respond to my initial complaint with a response that actually related to the issue presented to you - namely 125.00 cashback offer T+C offered via TCB on 18th April 2016 has caused me further unnecessary wasted time/inconvenience/stress -

It is now over 6 Months since I participated in Cooperative Bank selling of Current Accounts/ marketing incentive promotion via TCB

In order to resolve this complaint please pay me -

125.00 that Cooperative Bank offered via TCB on 18th April - T+C I met in full

100.00 compensation

In the event that you issue another apparent negative aka "in denial" response to me and/or dont settle my complaint as I have requested above I wont hesitate to complain to FCA.

Yours Sincerely
  • Hi I use top cashback, I bought john Lewis car insurance based on cashback amount. and weeks later I am told that they would not be paying any cashback out when its to late to cancel or change insurances I logged a complaint but got fob off with waffle. What stops this happing time and time again with other companies
    the cashback monies was the only reason I picked this company.
    thanks nee
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    RATBIKENEE wrote: »
    Hi I use top cashback, I bought john Lewis car insurance based on cashback amount. and weeks later I am told that they would not be paying any cashback out when its to late to cancel or change insurances I logged a complaint but got fob off with waffle. What stops this happing time and time again with other companies
    thanks nee

As per the guidance
    Think of cashback as a bonus only - it's not guaranteed

Tracking problems occur for many people using cashback sites. There are times when you'll expect to be paid but won't be.

If you do have problems getting paid, remember you need to contact the cashback site directly, not MSE. We just tell you about the top paying sites.

However, it's not just problems with cashback sites. They get the money from the retailers or product providers. Disputes in this area are common, so sometimes the cashback site doesn't receive the cash either.

Plus, unlike when you get cashback from a retailer, which is part of the product T&Cs, here you've fewer rights. The best way to approach this is to consider cashback as a bonus if you get it, but don't let it drive your purchasing decisions

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/cashback-websites
    2010 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    1. Think of cashback as a bonus only - it's not guaranteed
      Tracking problems occur for many people using cashback sites. There are times when you'll expect to be paid but won't be.
      If you do have problems getting paid, remember you need to contact the cashback site directly, not MSE. We just tell you about the top paying sites.
      However, it's not just problems with cashback sites. They get the money from the retailers or product providers. Disputes in this area are common, so sometimes the cashback site doesn't receive the cash either.
      Plus, unlike when you get cashback from a retailer, which is part of the product T&Cs, here you've fewer rights. The best way to approach this is to consider cashback as a bonus if you get it, but don't let it drive your purchasing decisions.
    The above is taken from an MSE article about cashback sites.

The fact remains that NOBODY would bother using cashback sites if they didn`t expect to get the cashback.

The above bold first line should actually be on the home page of every cashback site, preferably flashing as a warning that it`s not guaranteed.

Why don`t these sites make it absolutely crystal clear on their home page that cashback is not guaranteed?

Because NOBODY would use them, that`s why.

The other thing people keep forgetting is they have their own legal rights and should use them more often when facing "brickwall companies".

https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim-online
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,084 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 18 October 2016 at 2:42PM
    RATBIKENEE wrote: »
    Hi I use top cashback, I bought john Lewis car insurance based on cashback amount. and weeks later I am told that they would not be paying any cashback out when its to late to cancel or change insurances I logged a complaint but got fob off with waffle. What stops this happing time and time again with other companies
    thanks nee

Ask John Lewis Insurance for its final response in writing then either escalate the complaint or make a claim as per link in earlier post -

http://www.johnlewis-insurance.com/homepage/customer-services/making-a-complaint.html

https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim-online

It offered a cashback incentive to take out a car insurance policy and that was the reason you took out policy through it as opposed to via one of its competitors and thus if you are not paid the cashback incentive that was advertised/promoted via a third party namely TCB you will have been mis-sold your car insurance policy.

To add some balance

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=71471828&postcount=2912

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?354870-Topcashback-at-it-again&p=4245644&viewfull=1#post4245644

"Issue a small claim - Sorts the wrangling out and you get paid"
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Hi

Anyone else finding this? Since this afternoon the Get Cashback link to a merchant just opens a new page on TCB, its not redirecting to the merchant.

This happens on Ebay, Screwfix and Now TV, I assume all links are doing this

PS: I already e-mailed you on your mse e-mail
  • TopCashBack_Company_Representative
    TopCashBack_Company_Representative Posts: 2,184 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Everyone,

@steve1500 - Please do drop me an email, if you are using a category like cashback not reached payable it may be worth using the 'other' category as this may help.

@bristolleedsfan - As I have explained the best method for resolution is a claim. However, as also explained it's also something we are looking into external of the claims process. If you need any more assistance please let me know.

@RATBIKENE - Members are not fobbed off with 'Waffle', rather told truthful reasons for a commission payment being declined or told where we are at with their claim. If you would like me to investigate the message you received please email me at mse@topcashback.co.uk.

@2010 - It's not possible to guarantee cashback without us having to subsadise this elsewhere. Using cashback sites gives you the chance to earn cashback. If you don't use them you're not giving you the chance. While people can certainly make informed decisions themselves, personally speaking I'm not one to give up on earning free money.

@bxboards - This does seem to be an issue affecting some merchants. We are investigating this matter and looking to resolve as soon as we can.

I hope this helps everyone.

Best wishes,
    Matt
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of TopCashBack. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    2010 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Hi Everyone,

@2010 - It's not possible to guarantee cashback without us having to subsadise this elsewhere. Using cashback sites gives you the chance to earn cashback. If you don't use them you're not giving you the chance. While people can certainly make informed decisions themselves, personally speaking I'm not one to give up on earning free money.
    I hope this helps everyone.
    Best wishes,
    Matt

Why don`t you make it absolutely crystal clear and prominent on your home page that cashback is NOT guaranteed?
  • TopCashBack_Company_Representative
    TopCashBack_Company_Representative Posts: 2,184 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi 2010,

We do put this on every merchant page, in the area we advise all members to read before purchasing. This is in addition to the terms and conditions which members accept when sign up. I do know not everyone will read these word for word, but they are deliberately short and in clear understandable sections so members can read through these. Whether members take note of these is totally down to their own personal judgment but it's certainly there for members to see.

Best wishes,
    Matt
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of TopCashBack. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback