PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Finding a property for friend to stay, found advert is it legal (lodger or tenant)

It advertises itself as a bedsit, but says landlord lives in property and its shared facilities.

However it then says each bedroom has a card meter installed and lodgers have to pay for themselves.

Its Scotland by the way.

Comments

• ST1991
    ST1991 Posts: 515 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I remember one of my friends was desperate for somewhere to live and moved into something similar. It was a large house divided into bedsits, with a communal bathroom. So, everyone had a electric meter in their room (accepted pounds...) and each room had a bed, sofa (barely fit in there) and a very small kitchen station (oven with hob on-top). So i guess it is legal.. but i'm not sure about Scotland...
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    I lived in something similar for a year back in my just graduated skint and single days. Lots of places like that around.

One little tip is for them to fill up their washing up bowl in the bathroom, rather than using the water heater in their own room.
    Zebras rock
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I lived in somewhere some years ago where the house had belonged to a woman that'd died and her daughter inherited it. She converted it so the grandson had the whole of the ground floor and there were 6 bedsits on the two floors above. We all had our own electricity meter in the room, with a kitchenette/sink and room for a microwave. On the first floor were two shared bathrooms/loos and a cleaner came in once a week. There was a gas meter for the boiler in the bathrooms and we additionally had to put 50p in the meter every 2 baths.

I never once saw the chap on the ground floor .... but his mother was omnipresent, living just over the road, she was always out and about cutting the hedge/whatever.

You really need to go and see it and see what the layout is, what the offer is for.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    What facilities does the landlord share? Whose electricity supply powers the shared facilities?

I'm not entirely convinced that these are bedsits. To me it sounds as though the landlord is trying to claim that those living there are common law tenants (lodgers) rather than assured tenants or short assured tenants. The landlord is also possibly trying to get round the HMO regulations. If in doubt contact the council and clarify.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    How many units?

Sounds like an HMO (rules the same in Scotland?) - check with council website.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 11 October 2016 at 2:07PM
    G_M wrote: »
    How many units?

Sounds like an HMO (rules the same in Scotland?) - check with council website.

HMOS I think are similar in Scotland i.e locks on indivudual doors fire exists etc.

In that case I am a little unclear it says 3 bedsits and landlords property in same house so 4 rooms total not including kitchen and bathroom also not including if the LL's area is a flat with own cooking and bathroom (advert just stays landlords private quarters)
  • Sounds like an HMO to me. There is nothing illegal about it assuming the LL is complying with the regulations. Check with the local council if the LL is registered and has an HMO licence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure