Customer Compliance Officer Visit.

Options

Comments

• HB58
    HB58 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    Options
    If you have decided to go ahead with the meeting, try to have someone with you who can offer moral support and also take notes of what is said.
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Options
    They are visiting as they think you are co-habiting with someone else.
    Someone has called them to say that is the case.
    They need to specifically get in the property to look around for signs of co-habitaion.
    Shoes, combs, mens toiletries, clothes all that kind of thing, they will search credit reference agencies for accounts at that address and DVLA records for vehicles.
    This is not advice of what to avoid, but what to expect.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • civvygit
    civvygit Posts: 14 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    We jointly own a camper van, it's registered to my address in his name, but that's because I have off road parking and the insurance was nearly halved!

All of his other paperwork goes to his home address.

I'm done for.
  • vax2002
    Options
    civvygit wrote: »
    We jointly own a camper van, it's registered to my address in his name, but that's because I have off road parking and the insurance was nearly halved!

I'm done for.

That will take some serious explaining.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • looby75
    looby75 Posts: 23,387 Forumite
    Options
    don't worry I've had one of those letters and it was fine.

Someone had reported me for.....getting a new tv lol It was a neighbour who had a bee in her bonnet about me and decided to start reporting me for everything under the sun she could think of.

The compliance officer was lovely, she just looked at my bank statement online (I didn't have any paper copies) and other id, asked about who lived in the house etc and that was that.

If you are honest with them then everything will be fine.
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    Options
    Don't refer to him as your partner....under DWP rules he is not your partner he is your boyfriend who does not live with you.

Does he stay there over night? If yes, how many nights a week?

Not sure if this is relevant, but how many voluntary hours do you work a week?

If you class the 100 - 150 week as "Child Maintenance" I would hope (for you) that it will not affect your claim but you should have notified them of this money. It seems that you did not notify them of the 100 -150 week until you applied for DLA.

I'm not sure if "Child Maintenance" can include money from family rather than the normal understood meaning "money from the absent parent".

I'm pretty sure CM does not affect your claim, but it must be declared.

Hopefully someone will confirm
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    I would be inclined to ring them. I had a similar letter recently and rang them up to say that they couldnt visit on that particular day but they could visit at another time. The Compliance Officer was supposed to ring me back but didnt so I rang again eventually she called me to apologise because they had made a mistake and had misread the reams of paperwork that I had provided. They admitted that they were shortstaffed and this is why the error had occurred.
  • Sixer
    Sixer Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    Options
    I can't help with the rest of it... but just to note that even regular cash gifts from family and/or friends to people on benefits do NOT count as income. They are voluntary payments. Decison maker's guide:

28493 A voluntary payment is a payment that
    1. has a benevolent purpose and
    2. is given without anything being given in return

28495 The DM should consider
    1. the background to and
    2. reasons for the payment when deciding if it is voluntary.
    Example 1
    Jim claims JSA. He declares that he gets a payment of £20 a week from his uncle,
    Peter, towards the cost of running his car. Peter makes the payment because Jim has been receiving JSA for some time and needs a car to get around. Peter makes the payment because of family ties and affection for Jim. Peter does not expect or receive anything in return. The DM decides that the £20 is a voluntary payment.
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    edited 24 March 2012 at 2:13PM
    Options
    civvygit wrote: »

I'm done for.

I don't see this as a serious problem.
    In my opinion it shouldn't be a problem, maybe vax knows something about how they would view this.... but as far as I can see, the van is kept by him at your address, so the registered address has to be the address at which it is normally kept and the name should be the name of the person who keeps the vehicle - i.e. the person who maintains it and it's paperwork.

There's no law to say that the person must live at the registered address where the vehicle is kept.

He is keeping his possession at your property, but I don't see how this should affect a benefit claim, are we not allowed to allow people to keep something on our property just because we are on benefits as a single occupier?

Of course it would have been a lot simpler if you had registered it in your name.
  • vax2002
    Options
    I do know something, I can really only hint, but just bare in mind 3 ties and not the ones that go around your neck
    3 separate bits of evidence that concludes co-habitation.
    Also 2 sides, civil case and criminal, the burden of proof for civil recovery is a lot less.
    That is where they ask you to repay rather than prosecute.
    So far we know of 1 tie.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure