PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    NM I hope things went ok at the hospital and will do today . The travel hopefully wasn't too much of a nightmare .
    If I'm remembering correctly your son must be a third of the way through his probationary period so I imagine that and the time to gather a deposit and first months rent are setting your time to make a move plan .
    Are those villages around the hub much in demand for rental? The firm have taken on a lot of staff with more to come . My eldest daughter works for a major bookseller and when she oversees a new store development most of the issues are around new staff finding accommodation . Many will move closer either through travel difficulties or costs and existing either rental or to buy properties can be in high demand .
    I have barely watched tv in weeks but did watch the landlords programme last night on BBC as it wasn't one of those horrible shame ones on other channels . It was an interesting watch . I'm aware of our two new mayors up here and both of them are very much on the same page when it comes to the shortage of decent accomodation for all . The figures at the moment shameful which goes for most of the uk .
    You are savvy enough to be looking at things yourself as you make your plans but the nearer the hub the higher the demand will be .
    Take care . I bet your son cant wait for payday !!! Well done for him not losing heart and you for being alongside him all the way .
    polly xx
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No polly he is still working for free. He will still have to work a 6 month trial period. Tomorrow is his last day of working for free. I have not seen him since Tuesday afternoon as he has already been in bed an hour when I get home. Will let you know what happens tomorrow.

I have been out and mostly travelling from 9 am to just after 8 pm yesterday and today. I left the hospital about 20 minutes earlier today but it made no difference. We were crawling along at a slow walking pace so I could possibly have caught, not the bus before but the one before that or even the one before that. It was bumper to bumper all the way to Farnworth. Came back via Salford, Swinton, Pendlebury a couple of other places, I did not see the names, Kersley, Farnworth, Great Lever and then Bolton.

He will not get paid until the end of September. He already owes me most of it.

I doubt they will be a lot of competition. 40 people started the training. After the classroom stuff for a week they were down to 30. Then 7 of them including DS were chosen to do the picking and the rest for washing vegetable crates.

DS does not know about the others but there are just 2 of them left in the chiller out of the 7. The ones washing crates did not have good enough English or maths to follow the picking. You need to know what you are picking. It's obvious what has held DS back from getting a job. Not having any GCSEs because he was ill the last year of school and could not take the final year after age 16.

Most of them that are still working are from the council estates around Bolton so I don't think they will be moving. There are lots of houses to let that we can afford between us so it makes sense to move nearer and he will get a bike. He's planned his holidays for the next few years because if we move he can have a road bike again.

The lake district in first on the list. The last time we did that on bikes he was just a toddler so in a seat on the back of one of us. One really wet day he went to sleep sitting in a big puddle in his seat. :rotfl:
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    You must be wiped out with all that travel and hold ups . I hope you manage some rest tonight .
    I have worried about you since you moved into that flat . I know you didn't have much choice in the matter . Each time I've gone in various shops I've looked at possible solutions to the drying and storage problems at a low cost . I've even tried to come up with a diy solution but the fact remained there literally wasn't enough space already for your belongings so none for any additions .
    Your son is planning well . He's got a good head on his shoulders . I hope you both get to the Lakes such a lovely place .
    I confess I wasn't aware of the problems with other tenants apart from the drying issues . You should have spoken here we could at least have given you a bit of virtual support .
    You're dealing with health issues , the worry you've had for your son and long exhausting travel so if you feel down tell us .
    I can only offer a virtual hug and a wish for better times all round .
    Night love .
    polly xx

• monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    nursemaggie, that is a gruelling day for someone who is not at all well anyway. On the other hand, if you were well you wouldn't need to be going to the hospital at all.
    I hope you can get some rest now in spite of noisy neighbours.

Like Pollyanna I've hated that you were so cramped in that flat. You've always made the best of it but it must have been, and still is, most difficult for you. I am delighted that you have made your plans for getting out of the situation that you are in. Thankfully your DS sounds to be level headed and sensible, you've brought him up well. Whatever job he does he puts 100% into it and any employer will be lucky to have him on the staff.
    Everything crossed for the two of you, it's about time that things went your way for a change.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Monna How are you? Do you know life was more interesting before you tamed your tablet . I have frequent issues with firefox and this site . One day I'll change to another browser when i can find the energy to work out which one .
    Any news on house viewings at all ? I've been wondering if dd and I don't send the vibes next time it will bring a sale your way :D
    I woke very early this morning to thunder and lightning and the sort of rain you can hear indoors . Much cooler than recently and I'm wearing a cardigan so better for sleeping . It seems strange to think tomorrow is September . Where has this year gone ?
    Pleasant dreams and a satisfactory ending to tonights planned adventure :)
    polly x

• nursemaggie
    Options
    Chrome polly the site just seems happier with it.

shshshshh don't say anything they are all quiet at the moment!

Only just had dinner so will go to bed soon. I may have a lie in tomorrow.
  • monnagran
    Options
    Hi pollyanna[, I'm fine thanks. Yes, I know how everyone looked forward to the hilarious way my tablet translates my breathless prose into complete gibberish, but it's not good for my image, so I do some pretty intensive proof reading now. The occasional bloop sneaks through, remember 'pot poorly'.

No, no news on the house front. I feel quite sanguine about it. If people don't want my beautiful house then it's their loss. I would have quite liked to be settled in my new home by Christmas but I'm quite happy here, if somewhat poverty stricken, so life can take its time.
    In the meantime I'm just chugging along, keeping going, you know the sort of thing.

Hope you enjoy your lie-in nursemaggie,[ you jolly well deserve it.

ETA. Ah. Bold obviously doesn't work on tablets either.
  • nursemaggie
    Options
    No lie in been up a while with heart burn.
  • monnagran
    Options
    Aw , shucks nm. Wouldn't it just happen? Perhaps eating too late last night did it. I keep a stock of G*v*sc*n in my bedside cupboard but haven't needed any since I started eating my main meal at lunchtime and nothing after 5pm.
    Wouldn't suit everyone's routine but it works for me.
  • nursemaggie
    Options
    Good morning Monna I keep R3nnies but can't take them in the mornings as I take medication to cut down my acid. I can't take them together in fact I can't take antacids for 2 hours either side. A whole bottle of G*v*sc*n dosn't do a thing for me.

Food for the last two days has been totally disrupted anyway, mostly sandwiches while travelling, not just the late night meal. I only had a microwave meal. I don't usually eat them. I am trying to move our main meal to when DS gets home. Not working very well as no two days are alike.

They take the orders that came in up to midnight, and divide them between each picker. They then all work until all of the orders for each shop are on pallets, wrapped ready for delivery and placed next to where the lorries are loaded. When everything is all done they all go home and the next shift do the next lot of orders. This means they never know what time they finish.

Friday, Saturday and Sundays are busiest. There is no bus until after 1 pm, so if they finish early he walks for about a mile and gets an ordinary bus. Hence the wanting to move. The bus he gets back to Bolton is a rather busy one, always full. It takes him 2 hours each way.
    Hence the thoughts of moving.

I need to ask how I start a new thread. Due to us needing a gas meter. I wrote to my energy supplier has dumped me as they do not fit gas meters. I wish I could ask in the cheap energy club but, You just fill forms in, there is not way of explaining difficulties, or having a situation that's almost unique.

I will post my problems on here too because someone may know what to do.

I wrote to my energy supplier weeks ago because the gas was supposed to go in on 24/07/2017. They finally answered me on Wednesday morning just as I was leaving home. I could not get on their website anyway until this morning.

The answer went all round the houses but basically they cannot change the meter I need a new supplier.

The only thing is I cannot go the usual way about it because of needing the new meter and I cannot get a fix because we hoped to have moved long before a fix ends.

Is there a way to compare suppliers without having to phone them all?

The gas people dug a small trench on 24th July. We have seen nothing of them since. We have not had any communication from the housing association either.

The kids that come in our garden to play have broken all the barriers. There is all sorts in the trench and the barriers are all laid flat. The Electricity people left all their barriers too. You can't blame the kids for playing with them it's like having a giant set of Maccano.

Good my heartburn has gone.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure