Starting again.. (again!)

Hello all! I've tried to keep diaries here before and failed however I've been inspired to start a new one..

Things have changed dramatically for me in the last few months and I feel it's time to get organised and be rid of the debt I have once and for all..

So currently I'm residing rent free in a friends spare room after my OH and I split up after almost 3 years together. I moved back to my home area and am currently looking for a full time job or in fact any job.

The few months before everything went haywire were good. I paid off in full 2 credit cards I'd had since I was in uni (4 years ago) so that reduced my level of debt by £1,800, doesn't sound alot but it's made a difference!!

So my debt as of now:

- Halifax CC £675.68
- Halifax O/D £743.92
- Loan from friend £1900

Total - £3,319.60 :(

Not masses but enough when you don't have a job!

The money from a friend I can pay back as and when, it was for a new car as my previous one was about to die and being a 4x4 costing me silly money to run, also living in a rural area a car is an essential. The O/D is interest free and the CC is 17.5% I think so that will need paying off first.

I'm applying for jobs everywhere and anywhere I have an interview for a part time job at the local hospital on the 12th and hopefully will hear back from a few more applications.

I have a small amount of money to keep me afloat for now, I'm hoping I can get a job asap and use this as an emergency fund or towards the debt.

Anyway that's enough rambling for now..

Welly x
:wave:

Comments

• kansaskitty
    kansaskitty Posts: 137
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi Welly,

Sorry to hear about you and your ex, how lovely of your friend to put you up rent free for a while, that will help you to tackle the debt.

Yes I definitely agree that you need to pay off the high interest CC first... Is there any way to balance transfer it to 0%? Or would you not get accepted without a job?

Good luck! I will follow along with your progress!

KK xx
    :heartsmil Stay-at-home-mummy of two, pinching the pennies but loving it! :heartsmil
    :grin:Spreadsheeter, piggybanker, envelope-system user!:grin:
    :exclamati Debt £1400/£6500 21.5% :exclamati
    :question: Emergency Fund £0/£500 0% :question:
  • JLS1901
    JLS1901 Posts: 483
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Kansaskitty thank you for the reply, no I won't be able to transfer it. I'm paying off a bit more than the minimum each month so hoping I can get it gone asap.

So I've been applying for jobs just keep plodding on with that, I need to find some survey sites to use was thinking I could use these for vouchers for Christmas while I have some spare time.

I've sold my car on eBay for £650 this will be going to the debt that I owe my friend.

Miserable day here just sat in front of the fire... Have a good day x
  • JLS1901
    Forumite
    So it's Thursday, it's reasonably nice outside..

So today's plan:

-Close Tesco CC account
    -Apply for some more jobs
    -Check out what food I have in the cupboards/freezer and make a list and meal plan.

Not a very exciting Thursday, have a good day everyone!
    Welly x
  • JLS1901
    Forumite
    Quiet Saturday today really..
    My old car is getting collected today so that's £650 off my debt to my friend so totals now at:
    - Halifax CC £675.68
    - Halifax O/D £743.92
    -Friend £1250.00
    Total - £2669.60

Spending the rest of the day applying for jobs.

Welly x
  • JLS1901
    Forumite
    So I have news! I've been offered a job, it's a position at the local hospital which I have done before, it's only 15 hours a week but it's a start!

Feeling relieved to get something sorted!

Time to bash on once I get sorted x
  • Congratulations on the job!
    It will all be ok in the end - if it's not ok, then it's not the end!
    Saving for Christmas 2019 #27 total £62.00
    Sealed pot challenge 12 #32 total £67.50
    Mortgage paid off.
  • JLS1901
    Forumite
    Thank you Rockabillygirl!

Well today I got an email inviting me for an interview for a full time job on Sunday (it's in agriculture) so polar opposites really but will see what the set up is like..

Nothing else really to report until I get a job sorted.

Welly x
  • Huskyrunner
    Huskyrunner Posts: 542 Forumite
    What are you fancying doing in agriculture?

Its a line of work i would love too get into
    debts 16550
    Mortgage 69500
  • JLS1901
    Forumite
    Hi Huskyrunner, this job is a on a pig unit something I don't have much experience of so could be interesting. I've mainly worked with sheep and done a little bit of dairy work. I do really enjoy it but have been self employed and feel like I need something more secure for the moment.

It's a fantastic way of life hard work but I think that's why I enjoy it! I came out and went onto other things then found it hard to get back in.. but I'm not a farmers kid so it can be hard! but it's possible

Welly x
  • JLS1901
    Forumite
    So today I have accepted the farm job ���� full time, every other weekend off £19k a year, so I can finally pay off the rest of my debt and start saving!

Hours are reasonable 7.30-5 Mon -Fri then a few hours morning and evening on weekends on.

I just need to sort out the living situation now as I feel where I am now is too far to commute so will look at renting a room.

Hope everyone else is well :)

Welly X
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills