Car hire fuel policy should be stopped!

Comments

• I've looked everywhere for quotes and have found some good prices for Spain but I cannot find a company who are doing full -full they all seem to be full - empty now for some reason.
  • melb
    melb Posts: 2,873 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Solmar do full-full and also automotive malaga (only at malaga I think) who you can book through either carjet or bravocarhire.
  • They do full empty because they make alot of money out of people that take the car back half full and then sell it to the next person for a inflated amount.I have basically stopped hiring a car for this reason when I go back to a place I have been before.You can sometimes get full to full if a 3 day hire.Great shame with the cost of the car rocketing and the fuel
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    And they do "full-empty" because heavy competition (and the brokers!) have pushed down the profitability of car hire to next to nothing. It's all swings and roundabouts.
  • If your going to Mallorca, check out the prices on: rentacarvanrell.com" Their car hire price are slightly higher, BUT there is no insurance excess and you return the car with same fuel level as you pick it up with.
    If your not driving around the Island 3-4 times, this looks a genuine cheaper deal overall.
  • CAE
    CAE Posts: 644 Forumite
    I've looked everywhere for quotes and have found some good prices for Spain but I cannot find a company who are doing full -full they all seem to be full - empty now for some reason.

www.malagacarhire.com do full /full as I stated earlier in this thread. If you look at the website you will see that they cover MALAGA, GIBRALTAR, JEREZ, ALMERIA, GRANADA AND SEVILLE IN SPAIN as well.
  • Yes your quite correct if you don't check the Terms & Conditions then you are to blame. I was charged €90 for fuel for a Kia Ceed, on the Kia website this car has a 53 litre tank and at current Spanish diesel prices at €1.30 per litre this would amount to €68.90. So Cargest made €21.20 extra plus what was left in the tank. A total RIP OFF.:mad:
  • It's not a ripoff. As always on these boards, if something is said to be a ripoff, it rarely is - and in this case, it isn't. You don't have to hire a car!

Huh? Of course it is a rip off!

If you hire a vehicle and the policy states full to empty then fair enough. However, if you, having turned up to collect your vehicle, find the price of your fuel is nearly double the actual cost of filling the tank, then you are clearly being ripped off! Also, it is impossible to return a vehicle empty, the customer will always pay more for fuel than is necessary.

Why do you think these companies adopted this policy?
    1. To give the customer a better deal? (Oh yeah!)
    2. To give the customer choice? (In which case the choice of full/empty, full/full would be available).
    3. It couldn't possibly be that the car hire companies will make hundreds of thousands of pounds additional profit by charging for full tanks of overpriced fuel that they do not have to pay for? (Surely not?!)

Not everyone hires a vehicle to go travelling, thus ensuring they will use a full tank and more. Some do so they can travel the distance to their respective accommodation and maybe have a day out to explore the area. It does not necessitate using a full tank of overpriced fuel.

Those of us who rely on our customers for our daily bread should value them and treat them with respect - The car companies who have adopted the policy described clearly have no concern for the customer.

Wizzo

A good and successful business needs its happy customers
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Its up to people to read the t&c's, if they fail to read them then surely its they're fault, if they fail to ask question about anything they dont understand then its they're fault.
  • Just back from Spain, also got stung by Auriga Crown's (Reus airport) fuel policy because they've changed it to full/empty, though it was full/full when we hired a car from them in August 2010! (Comments on this thread seem to suggest that they change it every so often, presumably to catch renters out...). So I asked about fuel policy at all the desks at Reus (except Europcar, which was closed). My findings:

Auriga Crown: full/full for rentals under 3 days, full/empty for rentals over 3 days
    Goldcar: as Auriga Crown
    Hertz: full/full if renting direct, full/empty if renting through Ryanair
    Avis: full/full, but if returned part-used, renter will be billed for fuel used + a service charge.

Hope some might find this useful, but the Auriga lesson is keep checking - yesterday's fuel policy might not be today's!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure