Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Ryanair ONLY

Comments

• Thank you for your response! I have put in to euclaim and it says I am due. I don't really want to do it through a company but not sure what to do now? I have replied back to Ryanair saying I am not happy with their response. Any ideas on what I can do next if they are saying the delay was caused by a lightening strike, euclaim are saying I am due compensation........
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Google and downlaod Vaubans Guide, on page 6 there is a template letter read the guide and send the Letter before action to ryanair giving the 14 days to respond if they don't offer the compensation you will need to start a small claims court action.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Google and downlaod Vaubans Guide, on page 6 there is a template letter read the guide and send the Letter before action to ryanair giving the 14 days to respond if they don't offer the compensation you will need to start a small claims court action.

But follow Dr. Watson's brilliant guide (search on here) to using the ESCP, rather than the normal way - for reasons that will become clear!
  • My Ryanair flight from Gatwick to Belfast was delayed by over four hours last month due to a supposed lightning strike on the incoming flight, which resulted in security checks needing to be done. Ryanair refused my compensation claim on the basis that lightning strikes are an exceptional circumstance, but some Googling has informed me that this is in fact not the case. Lightning strikes are a normal part of flying and airlines are responsible for having enough resources to make sure that a strike doesn't cause a backlog for the rest of the day. Passengers have been awarded compensation for this in the past. Has anyone else had the same issue? What is the best way to go about claiming? Should I keep insisting or go straight to one of those flight claims websites?
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My flight FR1375 from Prague to London was delayed by almost 4 hours. The reason for delay was unknown. I have been trying to find out by Ryan Air bur no one is giving a definite answer. They might do it on purpose ??

I also got a confirmation letter from Ryan Air to be used to claim for Insurance (as below).

From this article
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/holidays/article-2271213/How-claim-EU-flight-delay-compensation-EC-261-2004.html

I understand, if it is due to RA fault I might be entitled to EUR250 compensation based on or European Regulation (EC) No. 261/2004

My question is that:
    1. Is there anyway to find out reason for the delay ??
    2.Supposed due to RA fault, how easy it is to claim for compensation.
    3. Supposed I win compensation from RA, would they they put me on the black list, preventing me to fly RA in the future ??
    4. In the case like this what could I get from my Travel Insurance. My travel insurance is with Nationwide (e.g Flex account holder)

I appreciate any info lead on this.

Thanks

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN,
    Confirmation of Ryanair Flight Delay for Insurance Claim Re: Booking Confirmation XXXXXX
    The below details will assist you with your Insurance Claim
    Booking Confirmation: XXXXXX/X

Passenger name(s): -
    Going Out: Prague (PRG) to London Stansted (STN) Flight FR1375 depart PRG on 07-09-2017 at 17:10 arrive
    STN on 07-09-2017 at 18:10

Flight FR1375 from Prague to London Stansted arrived with a 3 hour(s) 54 minute(s) delay
    Yours sincerely
    Ryanair Customer Services
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    adindas wrote: »

My question is that:
    1. Is there anyway to find out reason for the delay ??
    2.Supposed due to RA fault, how easy it is to claim for compensation.
    3. Supposed I win compensation from RA, would they they put me on the black list, preventing me to fly RA in the future ??
    4. In the case like this what could I get from my Travel Insurance. My travel insurance is with Nationwide (e.g Flex account holder)

Hi,

1). Not easy. If you take them to ADR https://www.theretailombudsman.org.uk/airline-dispute-resolution-faq/
    or ESCP they will have to disclose a defence.

2). They make it as hard as possible, but we can help.

3). No

4). Usually very little and only after a long delay of 12 hours or more, but ask them.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    RoisinDubh wrote: »
    My Ryanair flight from Gatwick to Belfast was delayed by over four hours last month due to a supposed lightning strike on the incoming flight, which resulted in security checks needing to be done. Ryanair refused my compensation claim on the basis that lightning strikes are an exceptional circumstance, but some Googling has informed me that this is in fact not the case. Lightning strikes are a normal part of flying and airlines are responsible for having enough resources to make sure that a strike doesn't cause a backlog for the rest of the day. Passengers have been awarded compensation for this in the past. Has anyone else had the same issue? What is the best way to go about claiming? Should I keep insisting or go straight to one of those flight claims websites?

Hi Roisin and sorry for the late reply.

See this post http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=72830019&postcount=2214 as it applies to you too.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Tyzap wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks very much appreciated

1). Not easy. If you take them to ADR https://www.theretailombudsman.org.uk/airline-dispute-resolution-faq/
    or ESCP they will have to disclose a defence.

2). They make it as hard as possible, but we can help.

3). No

4). Usually very little and only after a long delay of 12 hours or more, but ask them.

Good luck.

Looking into this Dr Watson Guide from this thread,
    forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=64457359&postcount=569

It seems there are a lot of paper work, keep your eye on, telephone call and a long battle for such a tiny amount of EUR250, if an individual want to claim compensation.

It will probably worthy if the claim was made by a family of 4-5 people which will mount EUR1000 - 1250.

I understand using an NWNF company will cost around 25% of any amount of successful claim. What is actually NWNF company doing in this regard??

In other cases such as payment protection insurance, immigration, etc some NWNF company are just acting as a postman. You still need to do all of the paper work fill all of the form, writing email, listening phone conversation. I believe in this case many people will not consider it worthy to invest their time just looking to win EUR 187.

I wonder if anyone else want to share their experience about asking for compensation for flight delay with RA either by himself or using NWNF company.

Any info on this will be appreciated.

• adindas wrote: »
    Looking into this Dr Watson Guide from this thread,
    forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=64457359&postcount=569

It seems there are a lot of paper work, keep your eye on, telephone call and a long battle for such a tiny amount of EUR250, if an individual want to claim compensation.

It will probably worthy if the claim was made by a family of 4-5 people which will mount EUR1000 - 1250.

I understand using an NWNF company will cost around 25% of any amount of successful claim. What is actually NWNF company doing in this regard??

In other cases such as payment protection insurance, immigration, etc some NWNF company are just acting as a postman. You still need to do all of the paper work fill all of the form, writing email, listening phone conversation. I believe in this case many people will not consider it worthy to invest their time just looking to win EUR 187.

I wonder if anyone else want to share their experience about asking for compensation for flight delay with RA either by himself or using NWNF company.

Any info on this will be appreciated.

adindas,
    You are right, using ESCP it can be long winded, take some considerable thought and needs attention. But it is extremely satisfying.
    For quick results and maybe little effort on your part, try Resolver. Colleagues and friends of mine have had huge success with this recently, and no need to start court proceedings or use NWNF.
    I have to admit; Resolver is the main reason why my input on this forum is needed little these days!
    Good luck and keep going.
    Successfully sued Ryanair in 2013/14...and have been 'helping' litigants since then.

Current known score:-
    Dr Watson 35 - 0 Ryanair / Ince and Co

Go to post 622 on the Ryanair thread to read how to sue them safely.
  • My Ryanair flight from Sofia to London was cancelled today with no prior warning. They haven't announced why it was cancelled. After some research on the internet I realised that was because the incoming flight from London was cancelled.

The next available flight that Ryanair is able to offer us on Thursday. (It's Sunday ATM). I cannot afford to wait here till Thursday as I need to get back to work. So I took a refund and make an alternative arrangement to go back to London tomorrow which costs almost £400. (My original Ryanair ticket was only around £100).

Would I be able the claim the cost of making an alternative arrangement from Ryanair? Under the moneysavirngexpert website it says if the flight is cancel I have a right "either a refund for the flight that was cancelled or an alternative flight (airlines call this re-routing) to your destination." The latter is not feasible for me so I took the former but it doesn't say anything about making alternative reasonable arrangement.

If not I also have a nationwide flexplus account so have their travel insurance. I spoke to a representative on the phone which told me I might be able to claim for the cost of alternative arrangement if I can justify the reason why I can't wait till Thursday but there is no guarantee they will pay out. Just wondering if anyone who has a similar experience that they could share?

I understand that I would be entitled to claim the EU Statutory compensation. If I do that would I still be able to claim the cost of making the alternative flight on my travel insurance too (assuming I can claim on my insurance)?

Also as a side Ryanair told us the next available flight (both direct or indirect) is on Thursday but they only offer to put us up in a hotel for one night. Surely that's not lawful??

Thanks a lot.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure