Halifax Reward Payment on tax return

2»

Comments

• polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,903
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    My OH received her Halifax Annual Reward Summary a few weeks ago and as a non taxpayer has recently reclaimed the tax deducted. Why do banks and building societies release Annual Summary statements for each tax year (online documents and letters) as late as July, when the tax year ends on the 5th of April eg. 3 BOS statements came at the end of July. It doesn`t seem very efficient. She has to delay filling in a P55 HMRC tax form until she has all her Annual Summary statements (in double figures) available.

It's a damned nuisance that many of the institutions are so lazy over this issue.

If you ask for the documents in Branch or over the telephone they will send them earlier - but why don't they ALL make them visible on line - and by the 6th April?
  • polymaff
    Forumite
    edited 2 September 2017 at 5:46PM
    bigadaj wrote: »
    Can you still do a paper return, I thought it was online only now?
    TrustyOven wrote: »
    I...I know they received it (guaranteed next day postage was signed) but had no official communication from HMRC to say they are looking into it or whatever. Honestly have no idea what will happen as a result.

Many, my OH in particular, HAD to do a paper return - as HMRC's xxxx software couldn't handle her combination of incomes competently. (by HMRC's own admission)

HMRC received the return in June and only replied to it yesterday - with the wrong computation :(

By the way, HMRC's latest "beta"'s processing of such cases, for the first time in over twenty attempts, produces computations in line with my simple, visual model - published over a year ago. So, who knows, the next release, scheduled for October, may mean that from that date they will be able to accept far more online submissions.

Who knows? :)

EDIT: Trusty, you should be able to see the progress - or lack of it - online. Log into HMRC and look under Track your form or letter.
  • The system online is much easier than it used to be. You had to put all the tax references for your company pensions before, but not required now.
    "Look after your pennies and your pounds will look after themselves"
  • polymaff wrote: »
    EDIT: Trusty, you should be able to see the progress - or lack of it - online. Log into HMRC and look under Track your form or letter.

Just tried that, it says:

"
    Track your form or letter

We don't have any forms or letters from you on our system yet.
    Can't see your form or letter?

If you sent us a form online it may take a few hours before you can see it here. If you have posted a form or letter it may take a few working days for us to receive it and add it to our system. Please check back here again."

They received my post ~ 2.5 weeks ago.
    Goals
    Save £12k in 2017 #016 (£4212.06 / £10k) (42.12%)
    Save £12k in 2016 #041 (£4558.28 / £6k) (75.97%)
    Save £12k in 2014 #192 (£4115.62 / £5k) (82.3%)
  • polymaff
    Forumite
    Just tried that, it says:

"
    Track your form or letter

We don't have any forms or letters from you on our system yet.
    Can't see your form or letter?

If you sent us a form online it may take a few hours before you can see it here. If you have posted a form or letter it may take a few working days for us to receive it and add it to our system. Please check back here again."

They received my post ~ 2.5 weeks ago.

Took several weeks for my paper SA to show up - then 10 weeks for any progress to be reported.

And they got the calculation wrong.

Twice.

Hope to sort them out tomorrow on the second mis-calculation. When phone calls are free. :)

Why not give them a call?
  • polymaff wrote: »
    Took several weeks for my paper SA to show up - then 10 weeks for any progress to be reported.

And they got the calculation wrong.

Twice.

Hope to sort them out tomorrow on the second mis-calculation. When phone calls are free. :)

Yowch! Surprising they are that inefficient, surely they deal with this all the time, so they should be experts at getting SA done correctly? ;)
    polymaff wrote: »
    Why not give them a call?

Tempting to call them.

However, I just gave the National Insurance department a call for a different matter, and they advised me they havn't sent my letter to me because they have a 60+ day backlog. Possible that the SA department also has a big backlog.
    Goals
    Save £12k in 2017 #016 (£4212.06 / £10k) (42.12%)
    Save £12k in 2016 #041 (£4558.28 / £6k) (75.97%)
    Save £12k in 2014 #192 (£4115.62 / £5k) (82.3%)
  • polymaff
    Forumite
    Yowch! Surprising they are that inefficient, surely they deal with this all the time, so they should be experts at getting SA done correctly? ;)

No, they haven't - and they've never been so "haven't" as this year where, I believe for the first time, they've gone into the assessment period [for 2016/17] without a method capable of processing such a significant number of taxpayers' tax affairs correctly.

Their, rubbish, solution to this has been to order such people to submit paper returns - very inconvenient. So I did this, and then, several weeks later, called them to remind them that the return was marked up in the "other information" box as an "Excluded" case - and to ask them to confirm that they wouldn't just parse it through their Known-to-be-faulty processes but give it individual attention. HMRC has stated that they will do this, but I wanted it confirmed - and it was so confirmed.

The assessment finally made on September 2nd was processed EXACTLY in accord with their Known-to-be-faulty processes. I could have given them that wrong answer on 6th April 2017. :(
  • vikkiew
    vikkiew Posts: 123
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Where exactly does it go on the online form?
  • polymaff
    Forumite
    vikkiew wrote: »
    Where exactly does it go on the online form?

Boxes 17 to 21, inclusive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport