Early retirement advice - how would those who have done it do it today?

Options

Comments

• Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    Filling your ISAs also seems wise: I can't imagine the £20k p.a. limit surviving under a marxist government. But then your savings might not survive anyway unless you'd found a way to hold some of them abroad. In fact I wish I knew something about that myself.

Holding a globally diversified portfolio of equities and other assets is easy. And there is no need to have the administration of the portfolio done abroad. In the event of a Marxist takeover of the UK, all the assets you own abroad will still exist. In the age of cloud computing the electronic records of what you own will probably already be out of the UK Government's reach. Your most pressing concern will not be your savings but ensuring that you get a boat or plane ticket and follow them abroad.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    BLB53 wrote: »
    This looks good to me and if you continue you should be on track to reach your target in around 15 years. Keep it simple, low cost and diversified and most importantly, keep it going through the inevitable market pullbacks. Good luck and keep us posted with progress.

BTW I assume you will be familiar with Retirement Investing Today site?

That RIT site is fun, it must take quite a commitment to post so much detail on the portfolio and the calculating return spreadsheet. I also have a large spreadsheet that I used to track my budget and account balances that I use mostly to test different combinations of inflation rates, spending levels and investment returns. But if I want to quickly see my portfolio's performance I just log onto Vanguard.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Chickereeeee
    Chickereeeee Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, I bought my last (previous) house cash (without a mortgage) when I was 40. I kinda wish I had bought an (even) bigger house with a motgage. in retropsect....
  • Gen_Y_Saver
    Options
    Great advice all, keep it coming!

And apologies Triumph13!

Thanks again everyone.

Gen_Y
    MFW! Original loan (Aug 2015) = £65000
    Current debt = £43000
    Interest saved so far = £13930
  • Snakey
    Snakey Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Options
    If I were 29 and could do it all again knowing what I know now, the main thing I'd do differently is buy the most expensive property I could afford, a whole lot earlier than I did. (Whether that would be the right advice today rather than in 2001, who knows.)

I'd also, contrary to the above consensus, spend less than I did on lifestyle. I am naturally frugal in the sense that the things that make me happiest don't cost much, but I was in a relationship with a spender and ended up doing a lot of things that, while fun, weren't really worth the extra money - OK so I didn't miss out on anything, but if I'd invested it instead I'd be sitting a lot prettier now.

What I did do that has absolutely set me up is:
    1. Paid the maximum into my pension for 15 years.
    2. Not have kids.

I'm 45 now, and concentrating on non-pension savings plus paying off the mortgage. If things go according to plan I'll be giving up work at 50.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    To answer the question in the title:

I wouldnt change what I (we) actually did to retire at an average age of 54:
    - Be a couple: two can live nearly as cheaply as one but with double the income.
    - maximise savings into pensions and in the latter stages TESSA's and ISAs. At the time the maximum pension contribution one could make was 15% of gross income. And then you got employer's contrbution on top of that.
    - Increase standard of living at a much slower rate than increase of income. Save the extra money.
    - Make and track financial plans so we knew how much money we needed to retire.
    - Make personal plans so we knew what we wanted to do once we had retired
    - Take VR as soon as the numbers are right
  • Bravepants
    Bravepants Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If you're in the 40% tax bracket, pay into an AVC or SIPP. I started doing that once I was earning enough.

I would also have started investing in a Global Index Tracker Fund a lot sooner instead of spending money on crap (Star Trek Videos and Lord of the Rings models! Jeez! !!!!!! was I thinking!).

I have my basic needs now, mortgage paid off, all the stuff I need and some great hobbies (cooking, piano, music, entertaining friends, days out, and a classic car). I travel a lot with work, but have also managed Australia for a month with my partner a few years ago. We did the Youth Hostel thing so it worked out quite reasonable!

I started thinking of early retirement when I hit 40 - should have done it sooner by stashing as much as my cash as I could.

You can actually do it quite quickly if you really, really want it...check this out:

http://earlyretirementextreme.com/

Cheers,
    P
    If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
  • Gen_Y_Saver
    Gen_Y_Saver Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    I've read about Jacob and his approach to FIRE. Seems a bit extreme for me. Interesting perspective though!

Quick q: I went for the VSL 100. I understand that this isn't a true global index tracker. I was thinking of contributing to Vanguard's All World ETF as well. Good approach?
    Current debt = £43000
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I've read about Jacob and his approach to FIRE. Seems a bit extreme for me. Interesting perspective though!

Quick q: I went for the VSL 100. I understand that this isn't a true global index tracker. I was thinking of contributing to Vanguard's All World ETF as well. Good approach?

Somewhat pointless as most shares held in one of them will also be included in the other, just in slightly different proportions.

If you want more than one fund I suggest you look at areas which are not strongly represented in a global tracker. Small company funds is one example which has been very lucrative for many years, with much better returns than the large companies which form the bulk of any global tracker.
  • Gen_Y_Saver
    Gen_Y_Saver Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, Linton. I've got to stop micro-obssessing over the differences between broadly similar funds (and focus on earning more!).

Could you recommend any small cap funds?
    Current debt = £43000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills