The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Comments

• Hi all,

I wrote to Easyjet four years ago because my flight was delayed and I missed a gig I was being paid for. I remember being over three hours late, and the title of the email I sent even reads "This flight was over three hours late..."

So I wrote to them recently, after looking at flightstats.co.uk. This is what the flightstats website shows:

Scheduled departure: 7:45pm
    Scheduled arrival: 11:15pm
    Actual departure: 10:33pm (runway)
    Estimated arrival: 11:42pm (runway)

Easyjet responded:

"We can confirm that the details regarding your booking clearly state that the original 'Scheduled time of Arrival' was 23.15 local time / 21.12 UTC. The Actual time of arrival was 01.41 local / 23.41 UTC. Therefore, your flight was delayed by 2 hours and 26 minutes."

Doesn't really make much sense does it? Does runway time not include taxi-ing? Any thoughts? I was definitely leaving the plane three hours after we were meant to arrive.
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    Can anyone give me the other flight checker site links aside from Flighstats please. I had forgotten about a delayed flight to Newquay earlier this year but cannnot find the actual dealy time on the flightstats database.
  • Hi there - I currently have an issue open with First Choice Holidays. As well as experiencing a couple of niggles in the resort (which should be sorted out soon). Our plane was used as a replacement for the previous days scheduled flight as that plan had technical difficulties. We were told in the resort that we would have a 12 hour delay and instead of leaving the resort at 10am for a 4pm flight we left at 10pm for a 4am flight which wasn't too bad. However, it seems that the airport shuts down from 11pm as , nothing was open, the kids were tired so trying to pass 5hrs away in an empty closed airport was rather trying! The plane that was sent to take us back to Gatwick from Cancun arrived considerably earlier in the day, but because the flight attendants could only work a certain amount of hours, the delay was due to them needing rest and recuperation. The plane they sent as a replacement was a short haul plane so an 8 hr flight in even more cramped seats was less than satisfactory (especially when we had already paid for an upgrade - which we should be receiving a refund for). I contacted first choice at the beginning of November and saw the EU ruling so added that to my list of requests for compensation. I have just chased today and have been told that it is at least an 8 week delay and Thompson/First Choice are currently in negotiations with their legal team to understand what they may offer. I did say that it appears that the levels of compensation seem to be non negotiable as they operate in a tiered format. So I have already waited 4 weeks and have told them that I expect to be dealt with shortly regarding this. - Watch this space!
  • ECJ have been back in touch. They don't deal with breaches of their rulings.

Still waiting for TC to reply to my last email.

Paul
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    roborts wrote: »
    ECJ have been back in touch. They don't deal with breaches of their rulings.

Still waiting for TC to reply to my last email.

Paul

I read your first response but thought it was a spelling error, and that you had meant CAA instead of ECJ.
    After you have the 2nd fob off, perhaps contact the CAA?
  • Mark2spark
    Forumite
    missyhol wrote: »
    Hi there - I currently have an issue open with First Choice Holidays. As well as experiencing a couple of niggles in the resort (which should be sorted out soon). Our plane was used as a replacement for the previous days scheduled flight as that plan had technical difficulties. We were told in the resort that we would have a 12 hour delay and instead of leaving the resort at 10am for a 4pm flight we left at 10pm for a 4am flight which wasn't too bad. However, it seems that the airport shuts down from 11pm as , nothing was open, the kids were tired so trying to pass 5hrs away in an empty closed airport was rather trying! The plane that was sent to take us back to Gatwick from Cancun arrived considerably earlier in the day, but because the flight attendants could only work a certain amount of hours, the delay was due to them needing rest and recuperation. The plane they sent as a replacement was a short haul plane so an 8 hr flight in even more cramped seats was less than satisfactory (especially when we had already paid for an upgrade - which we should be receiving a refund for). I contacted first choice at the beginning of November and saw the EU ruling so added that to my list of requests for compensation. I have just chased today and have been told that it is at least an 8 week delay and Thompson/First Choice are currently in negotiations with their legal team to understand what they may offer. I did say that it appears that the levels of compensation seem to be non negotiable as they operate in a tiered format. So I have already waited 4 weeks and have told them that I expect to be dealt with shortly regarding this. - Watch this space!

IMO it's not worth filing a MCOL just yet, might as well wait for the response from FC.
    Seeing what they 'may' offer, might be a deal of travel vouchers at 10% excess of the statutory table of compensation, similar to what Monarch are offering (see their claim form on Blindmans link).
  • Mark2spark
    Forumite
    Hi all,

I wrote to Easyjet four years ago because my flight was delayed and I missed a gig I was being paid for. I remember being over three hours late, and the title of the email I sent even reads "This flight was over three hours late..."

So I wrote to them recently, after looking at flightstats.co.uk. This is what the flightstats website shows:

Scheduled departure: 7:45pm
    Scheduled arrival: 11:15pm
    Actual departure: 10:33pm (runway)
    Estimated arrival: 11:42pm (runway)

Easyjet responded:

"We can confirm that the details regarding your booking clearly state that the original 'Scheduled time of Arrival' was 23.15 local time / 21.12 UTC. The Actual time of arrival was 01.41 local / 23.41 UTC. Therefore, your flight was delayed by 2 hours and 26 minutes."

Doesn't really make much sense does it? Does runway time not include taxi-ing? Any thoughts? I was definitely leaving the plane three hours after we were meant to arrive.

I agree, it doesn't make much sense. But it appears that the time that the wheels touch the ground is the defining moment.
    Without some other sort of evidence you appear to be stuck.
  • Mark2spark wrote: »
    I agree, it doesn't make much sense. But it appears that the time that the wheels touch the ground is the defining moment.
    Without some other sort of evidence you appear to be stuck.

Flightstats appear to give arrival times as "gate" times which are more realistic.

However, if we plan to use the above as part of our evidence, will it not confuse things if airline use touchdown?
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!

• So, I have just received this from Monarch as 'advice' before filling out the formal form requesting compensation:

You may not be entitled to compensation despite suffering a delayed flight where the delay was caused by Extraordinary Circumstances. The CAA has issued guidance on the meaning of Extraordinary Circumstances as including but not limited to the following:
    a) Aircraft technical faults discovered just before flight or during the flight concerned;
    b) Damage to the aircraft caused by:
     Acts of sabotage or terrorism;
     Bird strike;
     Ground incurred damage (i.e. baggage truck, air bridges);
     Lightning strike;
     Pepperpot event (eg large hailstones);
     Severe turbulence;
     Heavy landing; or
     Foreign object damage;
    c) Catastrophic engine failure or engine surge;
    d) De-pressurisation;
    e) Electronic hardware / software ‘conflicts’ which indicate that the aircraft is not fit to fly and which cannot easily be cleared;
    f) Hidden manufacturing defect that impinges on flight safety;
    g) Meteorological conditions incompatible with the operation of the flight concerned;
    h) Security risks;
    i) Unexpected flight safety shortcomings;
    j) Strikes; or
    k) Political instability.

I'm trying to think if there could be a reason why a plane could be delayed that is not included on that list...
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 7 December 2012 at 2:45PM
    The list is incorrect anyway so it doesn't matter. Is that really a CAA issued guidance list or did Monarch just make that up?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback