The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13

shaggydoo
shaggydoo Posts: 8,406
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
Forumite
edited 8 January 2014 at 12:30PM in Debt free diaries
Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say...:beer: but this time with water!!
And here's what she started!!! :

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Quote:
Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"

Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.

Comments

• shaggydoo
    Forumite
    edited 8 January 2014 at 1:44PM
    January 2014 :-

yay.gifhappy_new_year_2011_by_dragonfly113-d365i25.gif = 7 Days AF

dance2.gif= 14 days AF

smiley-bravo.gif = 21 days AF

smiley_emoticons_saint.gif= 28 days AF

smiley-score010.gifwhoohoo2.gif= 31 days AF

yaysmilesa-smiley.gif = target achieved

AFoolWithMoney 7/31 happy_new_year_2011_by_dragonfly113-d365i25.gif

AlexLK 1
    /14

ArsenalBarnie 2/10

Baileysonice
    2/15

Barny1979 7/31 happy_new_year_2011_by_dragonfly113-d365i25.gif

Bliss /22

CuppaTea 6/22
    DebJay 7/31
    happy_new_year_2011_by_dragonfly113-d365i25.gif
    DoshWaster 7/31
    happy_new_year_2011_by_dragonfly113-d365i25.gif

Fruball 5
    /18

Gien 4/28

Green Karen 5/25
    GreyCatLady 7/31 happy_new_year_2011_by_dragonfly113-d365i25.gif

GWithBag 2/15

Jess The Cat 2/16

Jo1972 6/31
    Judi 7/31 happy_new_year_2011_by_dragonfly113-d365i25.gif

Lucy /31

Maman 1/10

Mummyto3boys 3/21

Munchin /16

NewRoadAhead 3/20

NewYearNewStart 2/30

PriceySOS 5/24

RachelWW1 3/10
    Satchmo 7/31 happy_new_year_2011_by_dragonfly113-d365i25.gif

Shaggy 5/17

Sukeyboo 3/15

The Green Lady /31
    TillerGirl 7/31 happy_new_year_2011_by_dragonfly113-d365i25.gif
    TopGirl 7/31 happy_new_year_2011_by_dragonfly113-d365i25.gif

Wanna Bee Free 2/14

WantToBeSE 5/30
    YvieBlue 7/31 happy_new_year_2011_by_dragonfly113-d365i25.gif

40 SomethingMum 2/26

5 Year Plan 5/31

Everyone Welcome! It's never too late to join....

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've made a mistake!
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
  • judi24
    judi24 Posts: 2,272
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Oooohhh new thread!!! Exciting - love the quote from Springwatch Girl!!! Hope everyone is ok this morning
  • gien
    gien Posts: 1,649
    Forumite
    New Thread!! Last night was AF, so I'm on 4 now please Shaggy.
    Trying to keep in budget.

• jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901
    Forumite
    Ooooh shiny new thread :D Thanks Shaggy!

I'm actually on 6, but don't worry changing it. Sorry my fault for not checking in properly :cool:

Xxx
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Lets hope the number 13 is lucky for some!

Thanks Shaggy - You are a superstar!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I've not been doing very well with this challenge since October / November. It seems the "novelty" of not having a drink has somewhat worn off. Looking back I cannot believe one month I managed to hardly slip up from my challenge to stop drinking during the week and only have a couple at the weekend. Now, it seems I've gone back to where I was before I even decided to cut down for money's sake.

Due to my health issues and the medication I'm meant to take, I'm not really meant to drink heavily (nor in moderation). My doctor's advice was to cut it down to special occasions, perhaps a glass of wine with my meal at weekends etc. Unfortunately, that too has gone by the by.

So, I'm going to declare 2/14 already for this evening and will not "cheat" by having a drink after midnight because "that's tomorrow", for that only makes me sound as if I've got a problem.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,494
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    AlexLK wrote: »

So, I'm going to declare 2/14 already for this evening .

Me too.;)

I've found it very difficult to get back on the wagon after Christmas festivities.

Thanks for starting new thread.:A

2 AFDs please Shaggy.
  • shaggydoo
    Forumite
    jo1972 wrote: »
    Ooooh shiny new thread :D Thanks Shaggy!

I'm actually on 6, but don't worry changing it. Sorry my fault for not checking in properly :cool:

Xxx

I didn't want to assume....;) and :T
  • shaggydoo
    Forumite
    365days wrote: »
    Lets hope the number 13 is lucky for some!

I did think about skipping 13 and going straight to 14.....:D
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Thanks for starting the new thread, Shaggy :) Am determined to make tonight my number 6, but am not declaring yet.
    I know that someone mentioned eating a lot/gaining weight when stopping alcohol (i think that was 365 who mentioned it?), i am having the same problem..i can't stop eating!
    Any ideas to deal with this issue please?

I am really glad i jumped straight back on the wagon after Sunday. It would have been very easy to think "well i have mucked up now, and wont reach my 31 day target, so sod it i'll just carry on drinking". But i didnt :)

Glad to hear everyone is doing well, sending hugs to anyone that needs it ((HUGS)).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure