does opening 2nd checking account at current bank hit my credit file?

Options
Hi there,

Is there any impact to opening a 2nd account at an existing bank?

I have a nationwide flexplus, and want to sign up for another flex account to get the interest. Will opening this 2nd account hit my credit score / file? Is there a hard search?

Thanks!
5.41 kWp System, E-W. Installed Nov 2017
Lux + 3 x US2000B + 2 x US3000C battery storage. Installed Mar 2020.

Comments

• binaryuniverse
    Options
    I looked at opening a second account with NW before. Applying online, via internet banking, the form states they will perform a hard search once clicking submit, at the end of the application.

Whether it does or not, I couldn't confirm, as I didn't proceed further. But if they say they do, even for an existing customer, I'll take that as gospel.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If you'll want interest, you'll need the FlexDirect, not the FlexAccount (this pays no interest.)

The FlexDirect is the one that pays 5% on up to £2,500 for a year and then 1% on the same after that (subject to £1,000 minimum pay in.)

Are you wanting to apply for any more important products in the near future (credit card, remortgage?) If not, one search isn't going to matter. The search will be removed completely within 1-2 years, depending on the agencies they search.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    chamelion wrote: »
    Hi there,

Is there any impact to opening a 2nd account at an existing bank?

I have a nationwide flexplus, and want to sign up for another flex account to get the interest. Will opening this 2nd account hit my credit score / file? Is there a hard search?

Thanks!

The impact will be a hard credit search and an extra bank account both of which will appear on your credit history. It could be that a lender will be suspicious of the extra bank account especially if it has an overdraft limit.
  • chamelion
    Options
    Kim_13 wrote: »
    If you'll want interest, you'll need the FlexDirect, not the FlexAccount (this pays no interest.)

The FlexDirect is the one that pays 5% on up to £2,500 for a year and then 1% on the same after that (subject to £1,000 minimum pay in.)

Are you wanting to apply for any more important products in the near future (credit card, remortgage?) If not, one search isn't going to matter. The search will be removed completely within 1-2 years, depending on the agencies they search.

thanks - sorry, misquoted the product name.

No immediate need for important credit decisions, although potential change of mortgage supplier with this recent increase in the base rate (i'm on a tracker). Might be most sensible to stay put rather than put a blotch on the report for the sake of £130 before the tax man takes a bite out of that...
    5.41 kWp System, E-W. Installed Nov 2017
    Lux + 3 x US2000B + 2 x US3000C battery storage. Installed Mar 2020.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    chamelion wrote: »
    thanks - sorry, misquoted the product name.

No immediate need for important credit decisions, although potential change of mortgage supplier with this recent increase in the base rate (i'm on a tracker). Might be most sensible to stay put rather than put a blotch on the report for the sake of £130 before the tax man takes a bite out of that...

The £130 would be interest, so could be covered by your Personal Savings Allowance if you have one (£1,000 per year in interest is tax free if you're a basic rate tax payer, £500 if you're a higher rate payer or none if you're on the additional rate.)

That said, it's best to sort your mortgage first (being stuck with a poor deal is likely to cost you more than £130.)

Nationwide have recently announced a change stopping a loophole whereby customers could get a 2nd/3rd round of the 5%, so they might be more likely to still offer it when you're ready to open a second account. There are no guarantees though.
  • KittenChops
    Options
    I have two Nationwide current accounts - opened in 2002 - and there were two separate searches (hard) on my credit file.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure