Protective Registration

Hi everyone
Has anyone ever had the CIFAs protective registration?
My mum has had it placed on her file by Vanquis after my brother took out yet another credit card in her name. I might add this is after a long campaign of fraud against her by him and his wife and this time she reported it to the police and Action Fraud.
I monitor her file for her and had an alert the other day, when I checked it said this was pending.
I know that it means applications for credit will be done slightly differently which she is happy about but what else does it mean? We are also placing a notice of correction on her file to explain she has been a victim of extensive fraud.
Thanks!
*The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 November 2017 at 11:14PM
    Mrs_Ryan wrote: »
    We are also placing a notice of correction on her file to explain she has been a victim of extensive fraud.
    The CIFAS protective registration will do that for you, and be clearly evident when lenders search the FPAs. As such, it's probably not worth adding a NOC?

To answer your other question, have you read up on protective registration? ie...

https://www.cifas.org.uk/services/identity-protection/protective-registration
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Yes, I registered with CIFAS after the Talktalk debacle. It ran out recently. Lo and behold, my details have been accessed in the Equifax hack, so I've registered again.

Equifax have their own system, but I don't trust them with the details they've added for.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • James
    James Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Did you know you can Password Protect your credit files? This is similar to CIFAS Protective Registration. BUT, unlike CIFAS Protective Registration, this will reach ALL those who access your files and not just CIFAS members.

I lifted the following from the Experian website. It's advice given to someone who had various items stolen.

Adding some security features to your credit report would be a sensible move and should give you some peace of mind. The easiest way to do this with all three credit reference agencies is by arranging for a CIFAS Protective Registration. For a fee of £20 a marker will be added to your credit reports at all three credit reference agencies, for two years, to warn lenders to take extra care when assessing an application in your name. We can also advise you about adding a ‘notice of correction’ to your credit report containing a password and asking prospective lenders to request it to check that future credit applications are genuine. Unlike CIFAS, you would need to add this with each of the three credit reference agencies. Rest assured that if any fraudulent activity does takes place, our Victims of Fraud team will be able to help you set the record straight as quickly and painlessly as possible. (February 2013. Updated October 2017)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure