IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PPC performing a credit search

I have had a PPC send me a letter they have found my address via a credit search. I am going to check if they genuinely have.

How have they done this with no credit agreement or application for credit?

Why would Experian etc. release personal information without express permission?

Anyone know if this is allowed? If not I will be pursuing this with the ICO.

Comments

• beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    blackmath wrote: »
    I have had a PPC send me a letter they have found my address via a credit search. I am going to check if they genuinely have.

How have they done this with no credit agreement or application for credit?

Why would Experian etc. release personal information without express permission?

Anyone know if this is allowed? If not I will be pursuing this with the ICO.

Which PPC is this
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,610 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I think they'll have done a 'soft' search or used a Tracing Agent. No actual recorded search.

Why haven't you received & appealed the PCN anyway? Surely not another person who didn't update the DVLA with the address on your V5 when you moved (NOT your driving licence, the V5 for the vehicle, must by law be up to date). People get CCJs this way, all the time.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • blackmath
    blackmath Posts: 93 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 May 2017 at 8:04PM
    Even a soft search requires permission. This is about the release of information protected by the DPA.

I work for a company that does soft searches for a completely different purpose and express permission is required.

As for address it's a marginal timing thing.

They would actually be aware of my new address without a credit search due to other DVLA searches they have performed.

As for appealing, I am more than happy to do that in court.
  • blackmath
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    I think they'll have done a 'soft' search or used a Tracing Agent. No actual recorded search.

Why haven't you received & appealed the PCN anyway? Surely not another person who didn't update the DVLA with the address on your V5 when you moved (NOT your driving licence, the V5 for the vehicle, must by law be up to date). People get CCJs this way, all the time.

I would be able to set it aside very easily as the PPC would have been aware of my new address and they should not issue summons to an old address.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Why would they be aware of your new address? They can only do one application to the DVLA for each ticket.
  • blackmath
    waamo wrote: »
    Why would they be aware of your new address? They can only do one application to the DVLA for each ticket.

Because they don't have one ticket against the vehicle.

It really would be really easy for me to demonstrate they know. That's why I still need to check if they have actually done a credit search or are just lying.
  • beamerguy
    Because they don't have one ticket against the vehicle.

So what is this about then ?
    Why did they write to you
  • blackmath
    edited 18 May 2017 at 8:17PM
    beamerguy wrote: »
    So what is this about then ?
    Why did they write to you

Like any other parking charge. They want me to pay.

I'm not concerned about wasting my time right now responding to their endless stream of letters.

I'm just wondering if anyone is aware of the legalities of a CRA releasing information with no permission from the record holder. What could a PPC presented to them for them to do so?

I will attempt to nip this in the bud for everyone if I can. Because as far as I am aware, this is a breach of DPA.
  • beamerguy
    Like any other parking charge. They want me to pay.

I'm not concerned about wasting my time right now responding to their endless stream of letters.

I'm just wondering if anyone is aware of the legalities of a CRA releasing information with no permission from the record holder. What could a PPC presented to them for them to do so?

I am lost, you said
    "Because they don't have one ticket against the vehicle"

If so, why would they want you to pay
  • blackmath
    beamerguy wrote: »
    I am lost, you said
    "Because they don't have one ticket against the vehicle"

If so, why would they want you to pay

Ah, sorry. I was a little vague, could have phrased it better. They have more than one.

So from the latter DVLA search they would have an updated address.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure