Vanguard direct to customer offering confirmed

Comments

• koru
    koru Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 May 2017 at 2:35PM
    StellaN wrote: »
    Does anybody know if there has been any reaction/comments to the new Vanguard platform from any of the other platforms? Or do they think its best to ignore it and things will settle down?
    Nearest I've seen is the reaction from the Lang Cat, which is as entertaining as they always are:
    http://www.langcatfinancial.co.uk/blog/thats-not-a-moon-thats-a-space-station-vanguard-launches-the-rebellion-weeps/
    koru
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,039 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    MarcoM wrote: »
    Like other posters on here, a few months ago I emailed them to
    ask if they offered ISAs and it took them 4 weeks to reply to my mail...
    Why would you ask them by email if they offered ISAs? It says so prominently on most of the website :)
  • Hal17
    Hal17 Posts: 250 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I recently opened a S&S account with Charles Stanley but have not yet transferred any funds into the S&S account.

So, could I open a S&S account with Vanguard instead. I know you are only allowed one S&S account in a single tax year, but am guessing it only kicks in once I transfer funds. Appreciate any feedback.
  • Sue58
    Sue58 Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The new Vanguard platform is absolutely great news for customers who only hold Vanguard funds.

I hold some passive funds in different single sector regions including the HSBC American Index Fund (0.07%) but only 1 Vanguard fund so its not really worth changing platforms.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Hal17 wrote: »
    I recently opened a S&S account with Charles Stanley but have not yet transferred any funds into the S&S account.

So, could I open a S&S account with Vanguard instead. I know you are only allowed one S&S account in a single tax year, but am guessing it only kicks in once I transfer funds. Appreciate any feedback.

Yes - the rules only apply to contrbutions.
  • Hal17
    Hal17 Posts: 250 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Linton wrote: »
    Yes - the rules only apply to contrbutions.

Thanks Linton - I really appreciate that.
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Good news for people in more expensive platforms but if you have a largish amount in Vanguard funds with eg iWeb or Halifax it would still be MORE expensive to have them with Vanguard and their % based structure.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    talexuser wrote: »
    Good news for people in more expensive platforms but if you have a largish amount in Vanguard funds with eg iWeb or Halifax it would still be MORE expensive to have them with Vanguard and their % based structure.

Agreed. My ISA is with IWEB, and cheaper to keep with them than move to Vanguard.

I also have a (much smaller) SIPP, currently with HL. I will be interested to see what Vanguard's direct SIPP offering looks like. If all else is equal, then 0.15% could be attractive.
  • bowlesbargain
    bowlesbargain Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I want to move my ISA, I want to get a decent divided how do I check the Vanguard units to see which pay the higher divided. I can see how you pick a trust ie 60/40, 20/80 etc but I cannot find anywhere to say what the divided rate is I am looking for between 4 and 5%
  • Gadfium
    Gadfium Posts: 763 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think that it's a great move and hope that, medium term, they work to reduce the costs further. If you hold a large Vanguard holding then the capped fees must be attractive.

For me, I hold low 6 figures in VLS in iWEB, so it's cheaper for me to remain as is. I welcome their entry to the UK market though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure