Working out CSA payments

Hi. This is a question about whether the CSA take work expenses into consideration when deciding on how much a parent should pay in child support. I have made regular weekly payments to my ex for six years, but two things have recently changed:

1) I now incur approximately £500 a month in work related travel expenses (I pay for travel upfront and claim it back). However my payslip and the amount shown on my bank statement does not differentiate between salary and expenses, therefore it looks like I have had a massive pay rise. Sadly, not the case!

2) My ex has asked for a review of the amount I pay her. However the CSA are being very awkward about the apparent 'increase' shown on my payslip and statement. They are not very willing to accept that about £500 a month is due to expenses - they just see the overall figure I get paid.

All this is starting to prove very frustrating and stressful as I cannot get a straight answer on what it will take to convince them that I am not pulling the wool over their eyes. As it stands they are treating my expenses pay as salary which is hugely unfair on me.

Has anyone been in the same situation? Anyone got any straight answers or advice please? Thank you.

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    SouthUKMan wrote: »
    Hi. This is a question about whether the CSA take work expenses into consideration when deciding on how much a parent should pay in child support. I have made regular weekly payments to my ex for six years, but two things have recently changed:

1) I now incur approximately £500 a month in work related travel expenses (I pay for travel upfront and claim it back). However my payslip and the amount shown on my bank statement does not differentiate between salary and expenses, therefore it looks like I have had a massive pay rise. Sadly, not the case!

2) My ex has asked for a review of the amount I pay her. However the CSA are being very awkward about the apparent 'increase' shown on my payslip and statement. They are not very willing to accept that about £500 a month is due to expenses - they just see the overall figure I get paid.

All this is starting to prove very frustrating and stressful as I cannot get a straight answer on what it will take to convince them that I am not pulling the wool over their eyes. As it stands they are treating my expenses pay as salary which is hugely unfair on me.

Has anyone been in the same situation? Anyone got any straight answers or advice please? Thank you.

Not sure why your works do it the way they do, expenses are paid seperately and not part of the pay slip (well not at places I've worked at).
  • Are your expenses taxed like income or tax exempt?

Are you under the CSA or CMS?
    I often use a tablet to post, so sometimes my posts will have random letters inserted, or entirely the wrong word if autocorrect is trying to wind me up. Hopefully you'll still know what I mean.
  • SouthUKMan
    SouthUKMan Posts: 383 Forumite
    Thanks everyone. My expenses are paid into my bank account at the same time as my wage (hence it appears as a lump sum on my bank statement) and expenses appear on my payslip as 'Other' - which is not very descriptive! My expenses are not taxed. We are still under the CSA, although I know this will soon change.

I've never had any real issue with my ex or the CSA over the past 6 years or so in terms of agreeing and paying support, but they are both being very difficult about accepting that my expenses are genuine - even though I've offered copies of my monthly expenses claim as evidence.
  • WYSPECIAL
    WYSPECIAL Posts: 644 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If it is a refund of an expense you have incurred and therefore exempt from income tax then it won't be included in your assessment.
  • SouthUKMan
    SouthUKMan Posts: 383 Forumite
    WYSPECIAL wrote: »
    If it is a refund of an expense you have incurred and therefore exempt from income tax then it won't be included in your assessment.

It is a refund of an expense. Thank you.
  • HoneyNutLoop
    HoneyNutLoop Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    This may assist you:
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/108009/response/265651/attach/3/Tony%20FOI%20Response%20Ref.VTR959.pdf

I would gather any evidence you have, and send it to them by recorded post.
    I often use a tablet to post, so sometimes my posts will have random letters inserted, or entirely the wrong word if autocorrect is trying to wind me up. Hopefully you'll still know what I mean.
  • jamiehelsinki
    jamiehelsinki Posts: 222 Forumite
    Your payslip will show your total earnings to date for the tax year, this should give them a true figure to work with.

How about giving them a copy of your p60 for the tax year just ended?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure