PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter III

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    POOHBEAR get some coal. It's much hotter than wood, if your stove will take it.
  • Eliza_2
    Eliza_2 Posts: 1,323
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Feeling very cut off tonight, it's pretty bad out there. Have had to miss my grandaughter's carol concert, really sad.

http://www.buxtonweather.co.uk/

Liz
  • Well my new winter coat - well new for me, a trespass thick, fully quilted all in cotton duffel coat for £10, was like brand new, cream yet not a mark on it - passed its first test this evening, coming out of drs at 5.30pm into a heavy hail storm and was quicker for me to walk to Sainsburys car park ( drs has no parking, not even for the drs) than wait for hubby to come and get me as he would have to drive right through village in rush hour getting stopped at least once maybe twice at traffic lights, then have to collect me on busy road that only has room for single file of traffic each way, as original village high street and not up to modern traffic. So although a bit of a walk still less than him driving round, and as the hail had been on and off the whole time I was in drs I decided it wasn't worth waiting till it went off. Was lovely and snug and stayed totally dry, had worn my very flat boots and was glad as was slippy, its times like this I am glad I use a crutch constantly. I only had short sleeved blouse underneath so was very pleased. By time I got to car it had stopped then it rained on way home so hail vanished again, its as if it weather cannot make up its mind, should it be mild or cold. House was nice when we got it, Thermostat not been put up from its 18 default and so heat comes on and goes off keeping the house just nice. Have noticed less cold spots this year since doing the preps when curtains are closed.

Poohbear59 don't beat yourself up, you still have plenty of winter ahead and after this I am sure you will be ready for the rest of it. I hope the oil turns up very soon. Before we had central heating ( only had it 30 months) I used to wrap my dressing gown round a hot water bottle every night before going to bed, kept it right by the bed and before I got out I would put it on, and the heat from the bottle had not completely gone and so would put on a warm gown which made a big difference to getting up to a cold house. If it was really cold then would put two bottles and bundle my slippers in as well and hubbys dressing gown, although he found the cold woke him up better. Then I would put the calor gas heater on that we have on landing to warm upstairs, still there for emergencies.

I have looked at the the sheets and did you notice they are doing a wake up light for £29.99, I have jotted down 6 different items I would like, just depends if hubby is working morning or afternoon or both, as lidl a bit of a distance away and if you do not get there in the morning very often the specials are gone.

Rummer good for you, it is a nice feeling knowing you are ready for emergencies, I hope you never have to use it.
    Need to get back to getting finances under control now kin kid at uni as savings are zilch

Fashion on a ration coupon 2021 - 21 left
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Speaking of coats.....

Guess what had its first outing today, as it was finally cold enough?..................

Oh yes, the rabbit coat :D Soooooooo warm... Got some admiring looks and comments too :)
  • You will have to post a photo as I would love to see it :)
    Need to get back to getting finances under control now kin kid at uni as savings are zilch

• adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    I need to convince OH that he does need an emergency snow type kit in his car. He'll thank me for it if he ends up spending a night on the m25 this winter. I'm going to search the thread for a basic idea of one and if needs be I'll pinch his keys and put it in the boot while he's not concentrating!

Frugal... rabbit coat? Made of rabbits?

My new coat arrived today from topshop (£45 offer and it's wool), it's very smart and just what I needed. Big enough to fit thick jumpers under so I'll be boiling on the walk home from work instead of freezing :D I have plenty of practical warm coats but my smart dark one died last year- i'd had it since i was 13.
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739
    Forumite
    You will have to post a photo as I would love to see it :)

I will try... Not tonight tho, am shattered and I am not technical when it comes to posting pics on here... Need a non-tired brain to figure it out!
  • Confuzzled wrote: »
    just saw that lidl will be having single, double and king size mircofleece fitted sheets from dec 12th, might pick some up myself!

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=26808

Fantastic, thanks!:D

I did get 1 flannellette sheet a couple of months ago but haven't been back into town to get another ..... don't want to put it on yet (or will struggle when it gets really cold) but I could certainly do with at least 1 more for changing (and they've also got dark colours :T)
    I got snow tyres this year so hoping not to be stuck in quite as much as last year.

I've been looking for some but can't find them to fit my rims (very narrow) and unfortunately can't stretch to wheels & tyres atm.... (new savings pot for next year I think!)
    Frugal wrote: »
    Speaking of coats.....

Guess what had its first outing today, as it was finally cold enough?..................

Oh yes, the rabbit coat :D

I was wondering when it would appear:D oohhhhh they are so lovely and warm - was really disappointed a while back as DM found a load of fur coats that were my granny's but unfortunately they were waaaaaayyyyyy too small (she was tiny & I'm not!)
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385
    Forumite
    Confuzzled wrote: »
    just saw that lidl will be having single, double and king size mircofleece fitted sheets from dec 12th, might pick some up myself!

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=26808

EDIT: oh i just looked at more stuff available on the 12th from lidl, there are some fireplace items (ash vacumn,fire tool set,fireguard) for those of you that may need them, seem a good price and a big rug http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=26853

Just wanted to say, I bet these will be really cozy and warm. I bought some fitted flannelette sheets earlier in the year and they are so so warm :D
  • I posted about this on another thread which a lot of you are on so forgive the cross posting, no you are not seeing double.

I was trying my wings as an MSE today - had bought two teasmades in the summer one for me, one for hubby, but hubby says he will never use it, if he is stuck in bed and I am stuck up stairs I can use mine to make him a cuppa. So anyway mine starting spitting boiling water out all over the place and it also started making the tea 10 mins before the alarm went off so took it back to argos today. When I was asked if I wanted to replace it I asked instead of replacing it as had the other one, as they could see on reciept, could I buy the Car Starter http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7402852/Trail/searchtext%3ECAR+STARTER.htm and pay the extra £15, so she went and had a word with manager and came but with a yes, so we bought it, then I though extra cover, that makes sure I have it for 3 years, so asked how much, £14.99 but I had earned a £5 gift car buying the car starter so that made it £9.99 for the cover, so we bought it, and came away very, very pleased. A few months ago I would never have dreamed of asking to change anything that way. So now have I hope if powercut a power source that would charge up kindle, mp3s, mobiles, run a portable tv, mini fridge, lanterns as all my wind up ones have car 12v cords, and various other things if needed , ok not at once, as well as starting the car, our car only 1100 engine so this one is fine for us. Its even better than the one that got lost that I had bought from Coopers of Stortford so am very very happy. So in a way a blessing the teasmade went mad, if the one left goes the same way I will be asking for a new one, not something else as do love being able to have a cuppa when stuck up here. Still cannot believe I asked. So that was the last thing on the big list I wrote here way back so although I now have a list of things I would like from Lidl next Monday - including a wake up light that starts lighting up 20 mins before the alarm for £30, if I cannot get there I will not be to upset, but hope I do, my items come to around £80 and as I was going to spend that on Saturday to buy the car starter I feel I can justify the expense now - well that's my excuse anyway

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport