We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream thread continues.....

Comments

• choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Think I've caught up - hope you're all well & dry.

Weird weather here too. Sudden heavy down pours but nowt like some poor folks are experiencing.

My veg is doing okay so far but I seem to have loads of weeds thriving.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    lol...Rhiwie...Alfie.....lol......Multi-tasking, and blokes dont get on....

Yesturday went to the monthly farm/poultry auction.... was a very long day, seemed to drag, and the weather was, very heavy showers, follwed by glorious warm sunshine:eek:

we went to go and have a look for some goose eggs, but as they were approcking the goose eggs, they started the poultry auction, and there were 3 stunning tolous young geese, soooooooooo we bought them:D £15 each, but then we realised we didnt have boxes big enough for them, so we managed to get one box...

so later on in the day they were auctioning the trailers,

ok.... cut a VERY long story short we ened up buying 3 geese... a livestock trailer for £450 ( outside the auction as it didnt meet its reserve) and a brand new large chicken coup for £22:eek: well i couldnt not bid could i:D will take some pics later to show you, The coup will be on ebay the next time there is a free listing.....

ooooo ye and a new water but with taps etc for £5

The trailer is quite big, and divides into 2 across the middle, the wooden ramp guard things have been changed to home made metals ones, so will be allowed into market ( didnt realise they changed the law, and everything has to be metal in a livestock trailer since the foot and mouth outbreak)

The old farmer was 81 and his wife was 79, lovely people....

We will use the trailer as shelter for the pigs as well, so this will save us buying a pig arc straight away.... but for the moment, it will be to store wood:D
    Work to live= not live to work
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Has anyone got these
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001QEUCKW/ref=s9_simh_gw_p199_d0_g86_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0Q5433NQH1ZFMAJ4JT41&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

Our friend bit the bullet and bought one, and is really pleased, saying they save alot on money in the long run, as they dont have so much waste etc..

soooooooooooooo I am going to save my swagucks amazon gift codes and buy one, allready got £20 worth, there are smaller ones around 7 or 10kg ones, but for for me the bigger one is best..lol..
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post

No, but we considered it when the crows were nicking the food.

We hung standard feeders under a pig ark type of curved corrugated iron shelter and thought they'd be safe, as they're invisible from the air. ;)

Wrong! :mad:

Soooo....we fixed netting curtains to each end with a gap between and pegged these down to leave a narrow opening. The hens don't mind going in through these, but the crows won't risk it!

Job done! :D
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    CTC, Toulouse geese are lovely, but they I think they are a bit more sensitive than others and may not do so well in a mixed flock, so if you plan to have other kinds, they may need to have their own space (Guess who's been reading-up on geese! :o) I haven't made up my mind which sort to go for yet, but we are still some way off from that.

I had my monster mower tyre repaired, and yesterday it cut the orchards and small paddock in a couple of hours, no problem. :D
    Then, as I had all the bits to mend the brushcutter, I set out to do that and found I couldn't. :( Basically, the two studs that hold the silencer on fell out, but before they did, they vibrated so much they wore away the threads they screw into, which are in the alloy cylinder block. So, I need to find an engineers to re-bore the cylinder and fit with oversize studs. Then I'll just have the problem of fitting the muffler onto those unless they also machine them down a bit and thread them. Sounds like a nasty, expensive job to me! At the moment, the cover is off and I have the silencer held on with a strong spring clip, but it makes a hell of a racket.:eek:

I've always been keen on my Honda brushcutter, but this is a bit of a let-down. :(
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 July 2012 at 9:42AM
    Davesnave at the mo the geese are in all together with the chickens and ducks, and it doesnt seem to bother the,. but they are young, but when we are up the new place, they will be seperated,

What a poo about the bush cutter, I might be wrong ( prob am lol) but isnt there such a thing as some sort of greae/paste/tape that you can 'bung' in the hole that will help the screw re-thread?

will go and wake hubby up and ask him:D:rotfl:

Edit...... just woke him up, and yep i am wrong..... sorry dave, but you think one of you blokes would have invented such a thing....lol
  • rozeepozee
    rozeepozee Posts: 1,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    rhiwfield wrote: »
    Hi Rozee, sunshine your way Sunday I think.

Now, has anyone tried (successfully) to restring a 3M traverse curtain track while looking after 3 gds at the same time??

"Grandad, can you open this please?" as I'm up the steps trying to hold the end of the track and fix it to the brackets with my weaker hand and hard up against the wall :D.
    That last paragraph is my life to a tee, 24/7!
  • rozeepozee
    rozeepozee Posts: 1,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm writing this on the laptop, wireless, in the kitchen area of the static which is cordoned off from the children.

They are trying to kill each other as they've been couped up for so long (the rain and now the pox) and we're all going a little spare. The weekends are my least favourite time when the weather is adverse.

The storms, Dave. Yes. We returned to West Wales the day that the Aberystwyth area copped it at the end of half term. There were queues leaving Aber trailing for miles. We were travelling in the opposite direction. We were the only people travelling in the opposite direction. It was Biblical in its exodus. We began to worry if the static would still be there but we've actually been relatively unaffected by the weather apart from it being rainy and windy almost constantly since then. There have been a few night where I've not been able to sleep but I was in Hurricane Hugo, staying in a shack type B&B with a corrugated iron peel-off roof in the early 90s so a storm has to be pretty bad before I worry.

Signs of sun today, but it's still cold, wet and blustery. :o

Geese. People keep putting me off geese. We are looking at borrowing either a few sheep or a donkey short term to mow the orchard area. I still fancy geese. I just think I'll really struggle to eat them. They somehow seem far more intelligent than a chicken.....
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    hi all,

CTC...if your geese get on from young you wont have to seperate them and they may do better by not. they can pine for seperated flock [from experience] you can always divide when breeding time but then they wont care who thier neighbours are...;) :rotfl:
    also dont be too quick to sell your chook coup as you may kick yourself if you need one to bring on youngens and you cant find one at that price....:o

dave..... sorry to hear of your engine woes... i too thought there was a special paste you could get that you put in but then i suppose they are stuck in ?? but then i think i remember that a sharp whack free's them....ive prob got that totally wrong...:o :rotfl:

rozee.... glad you werent washed away. you need to build a trap door in your "safe corner" so you can creep outside without anyone noticing leaving hubby in charge....;) :rotfl:

well son and i got to the airfield nice and early and was met by hoards of people..:eek: about 10% were jumping for charity..:T the other 90% were taking up every seat/table/space watching...:(
    having been up since 7am [forgoing my lie in and boot sale :( ] i was not over sociable... we wandered round till 11.30 when he did his induction thing, then we waited..... very few were jumping and they could not tell us a rough time for jump ... THEN THE BL**DY CLOUDS CAME OVER AND THE PLANE WAS GROUNDED..:mad: we waited till 2.30 then gave up. there was lots of people and no way of guessing jump time and son had to be at work for 6...
    he rebooked it....3rd attempt...and what day does he pick ???
    FRIDAY THE 13TH....:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: his mode of thinking was that hardly anyone will jump that day so no ques...:rotfl::rotfl:

iv got to trawl through these clothes to list more tonite on the bay....just have to keep thinking £££s.....:o
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    rozeepozee wrote: »
    I'm writing this on the laptop, wireless, in the kitchen area of the static which is cordoned off from the children.

They are trying to kill each other as they've been couped up for so long (the rain and now the pox) and we're all going a little spare. The weekends are my least favourite time when the weather is adverse.

The storms, Dave. Yes. We returned to West Wales the day that the Aberystwyth area copped it at the end of half term. There were queues leaving Aber trailing for miles. We were travelling in the opposite direction. We were the only people travelling in the opposite direction. It was Biblical in its exodus. We began to worry if the static would still be there but we've actually been relatively unaffected by the weather apart from it being rainy and windy almost constantly since then. There have been a few night where I've not been able to sleep but I was in Hurricane Hugo, staying in a shack type B&B with a corrugated iron peel-off roof in the early 90s so a storm has to be pretty bad before I worry.

Signs of sun today, but it's still cold, wet and blustery. :o

Geese. People keep putting me off geese. We are looking at borrowing either a few sheep or a donkey short term to mow the orchard area. I still fancy geese. I just think I'll really struggle to eat them. They somehow seem far more intelligent than a chicken.....

rozee.....if you get sheep in ,make sure whoever owns them has sprayed em for fly strike...:D also re donkey ,allow for the braying...;) :rotfl::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure