The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Cancel TV licence?

Sorry if this is on the wrong board, couldn't see anything for TV licences.

I have a TV but never watch programmes these days and am thinking of just cancelling my licence altogether. I only ever use it to watch DVDs.

I've looked into it and I know that if you don't use your TV to receive broadcasts then you don't need a licence so I'm definitely 'allowed' to cancel (i.e. I'm not just trying to avoid paying when I should) - they can send me all the threatening letters they want, they'll just go straight in the bin!

However, I've just realised that since I moved into my flat - autumn 2006 - I only asked to pay for one year's licence and they've just been taking the money every month since then! I have one paper licence which covers the year from my moving in and they haven't sent me anything else since.

Considering they're pretty much taking the money without my permission (I certainly never said 'hey, just take my money forever', I just asked for ONE licence) can I just cancel the Direct Debit without informing them? As far as I'm concerned I've paid for what I asked for and I shouldn't need to contact them to cancel it. I can cancel the DD right now by just logging into my online banking and then it'll be done and I can forget about it.

Also can they honestly tell if you're watching TV or not? I know most of that they say in their threatening letters is just bluffing but I do worry that since I live in an apartment block where lots of other people have TVs, they'll somehow 'detect' that I'm watching TV when I'm not and break into my flat or fine me or something!

Comments

• bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,988
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Sorry if this is on the wrong board, couldn't see anything for TV licences.

I have a TV but never watch programmes these days and am thinking of just cancelling my licence altogether. I only ever use it to watch DVDs.

I've looked into it and I know that if you don't use your TV to receive broadcasts then you don't need a licence so I'm definitely 'allowed' to cancel (i.e. I'm not just trying to avoid paying when I should) - they can send me all the threatening letters they want, they'll just go straight in the bin!

However, I've just realised that since I moved into my flat - autumn 2006 - I only asked to pay for one year's licence and they've just been taking the money every month since then! I have one paper licence which covers the year from my moving in and they haven't sent me anything else since.

Considering they're pretty much taking the money without my permission (I certainly never said 'hey, just take my money forever', I just asked for ONE licence) can I just cancel the Direct Debit without informing them? As far as I'm concerned I've paid for what I asked for and I shouldn't need to contact them to cancel it. I can cancel the DD right now by just logging into my online banking and then it'll be done and I can forget about it.

Also can they honestly tell if you're watching TV or not? I know most of that they say in their threatening letters is just bluffing but I do worry that since I live in an apartment block where lots of other people have TVs, they'll somehow 'detect' that I'm watching TV when I'm not and break into my flat or fine me or something!

They have no powers of entry, to fine you they must prove that you have broken the law. It is perfectly possible to detect an operating TV.
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,975
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If they are taking a monthly DD from your account they presumably are taking money in advance so that you have paid for your next licence when the current one expires.

So rather than simply cancel the DD, get in touch with the licensing people and tell them you don't want a licence now so please can you have your payments for the next licence refunded.
  • I could be wrong, and I am sure if I am those who know better will soon tell me, but as the wording for the tv licensing is:

"You need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, digital box, DVD or video recorder, PC, laptop or mobile phone to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV."

Which implies that so long as you have equipment capable of receiving a signal then you need a license. I am sure that I company I worked for had to buy a license for a tv used only to show videos (you know the health & safety at work and that kind of stuff!).
    If anything I say starts to make sense, PANIC!
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,975
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I could be wrong, and I am sure if I am those who know better will soon tell me, but as the wording for the tv licensing is:

"You need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, digital box, DVD or video recorder, PC, laptop or mobile phone to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV."

Which implies that so long as you have equipment capable of receiving a signal then you need a license. I am sure that I company I worked for had to buy a license for a tv used only to show videos (you know the health & safety at work and that kind of stuff!).

Read what you have written again - see the red lettering. You don't need a licence if you are not watching TV broadcasts when they are broadcast.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 11,957
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    For the definitive answer go to

http://www.bbctvlicence.com/index.htm
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    Hi thrifymanc - I've moved this to the 'In My Home' Board.

You may be interested in Martin's TV Licences Article :)

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If I do this, what are the chances of them getting all uppity and start banging on about how I 'have' to have a licence even though I don't need one? Or will they just let me cancel instantly? I just think, with the amount of grief they give people who don't have licences, surely they must make cancelling as hard as possible even when it's genuine. I'll fill in the form later and see what happens I suppose.

Rule number one, be firm and don't be intimidated or interrogated. Last time I cancelled a TV License DD I started getting threatening letters even though I explained to them at the time I was moving to where there already was a license (simply wasn't in my name any more). I just kept ignoring the letters and they eventually stopped. Nothing they could have done anyway considering there was a license for the house I'm currently living in.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • The key phrase there is "as they're being shown". I don't want to watch anything as it's being broadcast. I'm quite happy to detune all the channels, throw away the aerial cable and fill up the aerial socket in the wall with polyfilla if it helps prove I don't watch TV! I would get rid of my TV altogether for the hassle it's worth but my laptop doesn't have very good speakers so I'd rather watch DVDs on a regular screen.

I understand what you mean and thank you for not being nasty as some of those in the posts subsequent to yours were. I did read the quote several times but I am sure about the company I worked for having to buy a license... still the rules have obviously been updated, mobile phones hadn't even been invented at the time. ;)
    If anything I say starts to make sense, PANIC!
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    still the rules have obviously been updated, mobile phones hadn't even been invented at the time. ;)

AFAIK the licence has always been about the use of equipment, not ownership.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • t_obermory
    t_obermory Posts: 278
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If they are taking a monthly DD from your account they presumably are taking money in advance so that you have paid for your next licence when the current one expires.

So rather than simply cancel the DD, get in touch with the licensing people and tell them you don't want a licence now so please can you have your payments for the next licence refunded.

They don't refund any money, I was paying quarterly at my last house and moved out into a house with a TV license not long after paying for a full quarter and was told sorry we don't give refunds on any license not used.

I'd say just cancel it, its up to them to do the chasing not you. As long as you don't let them into your house they don't have a leg to stand on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure