building insurance what is historic movement

my building insurance is due for renewal, when I took it out the first time I advised my insurer by phone when they were going through their check list that the survey mentioned "signs of historic movement" .
The mortgage company asked for the wall ties to be renewed as also was mentioned on the survey some small cracks that could be wall tie corrosion, these were done.
On the renewal quote from my insurer they have ticked the box - has the home been affected by subsidence or structural movement as NO.
new quote is up this year from £20 per month to £25 so I am looking for new quotes.
My question is " signs of historic movement" mean you have to tick the subsidence box?
If so have my present insurers made a mistake when I told them on the phone about historic movement or am I ok to check this box as NO as they have done

Comments

• Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    My understanding that historic movement could be original settlement when the property was first built, different building materials settling etc

I would be ok with check box no.
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,739 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Longstanding/non-progressive movement is not subsidence.

The former usually occurs within the first fifteen years of the life of a property and is of no interest to insurers.

Subsidence would usually be indicative of soil shrinkage, tree-root or drain damage etc and would be more recent/current.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • And yet wall ties indicates previous subs... not settlement.
  • No the wall ties were because there were some small cracks in the morter in way of replacement windows and french doors fitted, also in way of the connected garage attached in the 80's, suspicion of surveyor was corrosion of the ties, the one they removed was slightly corroded but they wanted them replaced anyway.
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    No the wall ties were because there were some small cracks in the morter in way of replacement windows and french doors fitted, also in way of the connected garage attached in the 80's, suspicion of surveyor was corrosion of the ties, the one they removed was slightly corroded but they wanted them replaced anyway.

Doesn't sound like subsidence. Sounds like structural movement.

One insurers assumption is:-
    Has not been affected by subsidence or structural movement and is not in an area subject to subsidence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure