IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

NIP 63 in a 50 MPH Zone

13»

Comments

• Pls be nice to all MoneySavers. There's no such thing as a stupid question, and even if you disagree courtesy helps.

Please don't let this forum go the way of many others.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • dipsy
    dipsy Posts: 3,137 Forumite
    Originally Posted by iamana1ias viewpost.gif
    With any luck the pair will lose their licenses. Neither should be on the road. The partner for exceeding the limit by so much and the OP for being too thick to tell the truth.

as I said already I cannot be sure if it was a loan car etc and it was not addressed to me and the registration is not known to me......

so thanks for your most "un" helpful comments, why should I lose my license for not recalling the registration numbers dates etc of the 6 loan vehicles I have had over the last month..... and I am glad to hear that you deem yourself to be an authority on who/who should not drive etc... I bet your a real pleasure to know.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxtweenie viewpost.gif
    Maybe someone from Nottinghamshire Police will read this thread...

Maybe they will and they are welcome to.... I have merely asked them to advise me on how to fill in the form due to the fact it was addressed to Mr X at my address and the car reg is not known to me.

just to reply to some of the posts on here, the NIP was not addressed to me

I have never driven down the road where the said offence took place

I don't own a car with that registration

It might have been a loan car from the garage whilst mine was in for a service, but to be fair I don't know if this is the case as I had it in several times over period of 1 month

surely it is not my job to find out if it was a car I had on loan or not, surely the garage will give them my details if it was a car that I had on loan?

having never received one before I didn't know what to do with it, so all I did was make a call and stated I didn't recognise the reg etc and there was no Mr X at said address.

naturally if they come back and say it is a car I had on loan then I will address it at the time and deal with it in a truthful manner.
    2007 £1749
    2008 £291.99
    2009 JanMasscara £7.00 Feb megcabot books x 2 £20 XFactor tkts x 2 £58.00 (couldn't go though as they only phoned on day :-( ) foundation £7.99
    total so far for 09 £92.99
  • Coblcris
    Coblcris Posts: 1,862 Forumite
    Only the addressee is responsible for filling out a NIP.
  • hothothot_3
    hothothot_3 Posts: 4,646 Forumite
    2 questions

Is this your first NIP?

what date did the alleged speeding happen and what date did the NIP arrive?
  • dipsy
    hothothot wrote: »
    2 questions

Is this your first NIP?

what date did the alleged speeding happen and what date did the NIP arrive?

Hi, never had one before, date for alleged speeding was 25/11 and arrived on 2/01
    2007 £1749
    2008 £291.99
    2009 JanMasscara £7.00 Feb megcabot books x 2 £20 XFactor tkts x 2 £58.00 (couldn't go though as they only phoned on day :-( ) foundation £7.99
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Dipsy - My advice is definitely to go onto pepipoo
    There are people there who will give you excellent legal advice without being judgmental.
    Put your details into the "NIP wizard" and check the box for the post to go onto the forum.

I think the normal rule for NIPs is 14 days, but if there are loan/hire cars then I think there is more time to find the driver.

Most hire car companies do charge an admin fee for providing info to the police, not sure about loan cars from garages.
    I would suspect that just having the wrong title will not be sufficient to get you off.
    I'm not being judgemental but it sounds most likely to be a typo in the title rather than a letter for your ex-partner from 9 years ago.

Not providing the drivers details is often punished MORE than the speeeding.

But go onto that site I mentioned as they are really good and will offer objective advice (which often include not lying).

BTW - I'm not saying you are lying, just saying that the penalties if caught are worse than the original offence hence it's usually not recemmended on pepippoo but I wasn't suggesting you were.
  • dipsy
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Dipsy - My advice is definitely to go onto pepipoo
    There are people there who will give you excellent legal advice without being judgmental.
    Put your details into the "NIP wizard" and check the box for the post to go onto the forum.

I think the normal rule for NIPs is 14 days, but if there are loan/hire cars then I think there is more time to find the driver.

Most hire car companies do charge an admin fee for providing info to the police, not sure about loan cars from garages.
    I would suspect that just having the wrong title will not be sufficient to get you off.
    I'm not being judgemental but it sounds most likely to be a typo in the title rather than a letter for your ex-partner from 9 years ago.

Not providing the drivers details is often punished MORE than the speeeding.

But go onto that site I mentioned as they are really good and will offer objective advice (which often include not lying).

BTW - I'm not saying you are lying, just saying that the penalties if caught are worse than the original offence hence it's usually not recemmended on pepippoo but I wasn't suggesting you were.

Hi thanks for your advice, I did post on Pepipoo and they suggested I just returned the form, which I have done with a letter to say Mr X does not live here,

When I spoke to the lady at the police office on the phone she advised me not to fill anything in and they would come back to me if they needed any further info.

I suppose the only other thing I could have done is to ring the garage to see if I did have a loan vehicle with that reg, but I really don't know the reg and I don't recall dates my car was in garage as it had been in so many times over a month period

I guess they will come back to me in due course or the garage will call me and then I will have a new NIP sent out and fill in accordingly?
    2007 £1749
    2008 £291.99
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Did the garage send you any bills? (I normally keep my bills for selling the vehicle).
    If they did, do the dates coincide?
    Did they bill you with the wrong title?
    Worst case I guess you have some dates from your bank statement for payments?

I would guess the police with query with the garage again.
    My feeling is that they don't just let these things go otherwise people could jsut get round offences too easily.
    If it's a simple typo then I would expect an NIP with the correct name.

If you don't think it was you, then you would be expected to try to dilligently prove why not e.g. ask for the photographic evidence and check it doesn't show you.
    You can't just get away with saying "I don't remember going there".

Do you drive the same journeys always? e.g. same office?
    In which case you would have a pretty good idea if you went down that road.

I am pretty sure all the loopholes have been closed, so it's now up to you to prove it wasn't you rather than them prove it was. I know it's meant to be innocent til proven guilty but it doesn't appear to work like that anymore because too many people will try to abuse it.

I find it hard to believe you have no records at all - no bills, no financial transactions?
  • dipsy
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Did the garage send you any bills? (I normally keep my bills for selling the vehicle).
    If they did, do the dates coincide?
    Did they bill you with the wrong title?
    Worst case I guess you have some dates from your bank statement for payments?

I dont have any bills, as the car was in under warranty, no charge for car or loan car, my invoice for purchase of my car shows my correct title

I would guess the police with query with the garage again.
    My feeling is that they don't just let these things go otherwise people could jsut get round offences too easily.
    If it's a simple typo then I would expect an NIP with the correct name.

Yes thats my thoughts and if it was me that had the car at the time then I would expect an NIP with the correct name

If you don't think it was you, then you would be expected to try to dilligently prove why not e.g. ask for the photographic evidence and check it doesn't show you.
    You can't just get away with saying "I don't remember going there".

cant ask for photographic evidence as only the named person on the NIP can ask for this

I find it hard to believe you have no records at all - no bills, no financial transactions?

as I said there were no bills for either work on car or loan vehicle

guess I will just have to wait and see if an NIP with my name on it arrives and deal with it then
    2007 £1749
    2008 £291.99
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport