PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5p for carrier bags

Options
Hi Everyone,

As we are about to be charged for carrier bags I am thinking about investing is some strong shopping bags, I already re-use bags and have a number of bags for life and a couple of string type bags, however, I do occasionally get some free ones which I use for rubbish and erm dog poo disposal.

I like the idea of some more string bags, but the ones I currently have were quite expensive and to be honest not very big or stretchy, I remember my nan had tardis like ones, which held an amazing amount. I was wondering if anybody could recommend some good strong shopping bags ?
Well Behaved women seldom make history

Early retirement goal... 2026

Reduce, reuse, recycle .

Comments

• Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I suspect there will be more types available at check outs now. But otherwise I would just go with the bag for life. These get replaced anyway.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

have a look here for ideas.
  • mrs_motivated
    mrs_motivated Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi,

have a look here for ideas.

Thanks... there are some lovely ideas on there
    Well Behaved women seldom make history

Early retirement goal... 2026

Reduce, reuse, recycle .
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I,ve used Ikeeea big blue bags for years, perfect fit for trolley :) squidge em up if concerned about weight and use 2
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • panika
    panika Posts: 149 Forumite
    Options
    We've had it in Wales for a few years now. I Think it is brilliant and made me (and most of the people I know) buying less plastic bags.

I use bag for life things and 10p plastic bags. I take one of each for my weekly shopping. Bag for life are better, because they don't get torn by s plastic packaging (like ham or cheese) of some food products and they are stronger, so most of heavy products go there - wines, cartoons of milk, tinned tomatoes. Bags for life last ages. I have to replace 10p plastic bag every couple months
  • FrugalWorker
    Options
    I like different ones for different things - I like the big strong ones for carrying heavy things like bottles / root vegetables.

Generally I prefer the smaller square ones for my general shop (I'm not sure you have them in the UK), but I find that they not too tall, but quite wide
    They look like this: http://www.delpac.ie/generic-supervalu-bag/gsbpd.html
    They allow you to lay them out in the trolley, put one layer of heavy items with lighter stuff on top. With the taller bags - things get squashed.

The small lighter bags are great for keeping in your hand bag / other random places. I've a few that fold up in to nothing. I find they're not quite good enough for a day to day shop. My SIL got ones that fold up, made out of parachute cloth, hers seem really strong.

You'll find you prefer a particular bag for life and you stock up on it. I've a different on I keep in my hand bag and there is always one in the car, and other random places.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A couple of years ago I invested in a Trolley Dolly, and it's fab - it's a bag with a set of different-sized shopping bags, and some reusable net bags that you can use for veg. They're not the cheapest but if you keep an eye out then they do occasionally have offers. Mine have been use and washed lots of times and they're still going strong. I also have a couple of their fold-up bags that I just keep in my handbag.
  • MegS
    MegS Posts: 234 Forumite
    Options
    I bought some bags that go in a ball from Decathlon, they were 1€ in France but I did see them in the UK Decathlon. They hold a lot.
  • Runcorn_Bridge
    Options
    Mrs Motivator. I can recommend Organic Ally. I bought string bags from them years ago and they're perfect and stretch to tardis dimensions. I have no connections to the company.

http://www.organic-ally.co.uk/26080.html
  • Ladyluck1
    Ladyluck1 Posts: 749 Forumite
    Options
    I have a few fabric 'green bags' from a trip to Ireland years ago.
    They're still going strong!
    I'm C, Mummy to DS 29/11/2010 and DD 02/11/2013

Overdraft PAID OFF
    CC PAID OFF
    GC Sept £141.17/200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts