Only freedom will do

Comments

• Hi Mr E, sounds like a sensible plan and I too wish I'd been that astute 20 years ago.

Good luck, Tilly x x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Wonderful first post and I think you sound so focused and determined. Know you'll do it, and looking forward to the updates!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 May 2014 at 6:52PM
    You know how life imitates art? My parents have just bought a small house in the Canaries :j

Just as well we haven't booked a holiday yet ;)

Today I took some small steps towards freedom. Budget has been re-jigged (I'm still posting that SOA for you all to pore over like the wonderful MFW hermits that you are). I cut £50/mth from the Emergency Fund, as I re-calculated it and without the car replacement line, we're actually over-funded. In addition, we won't need to top it up for inflation at the end of the tax year.

As well as that, I completed a small survey and listed our hardly used KitchenAid on eBay. It's a lovely machine, beautifully made, but we've maybe used it 10 times since we got it. I don't think that £20/use is a fair price for a mixer, so it has to go. Fairly hopeful that we should get c. £200 before fees and postage for it, as it's in great nick.

Finally, made a small MB profit (£5 or so) and set up a monthly investment into Vanguard LifeStrategy 80% in my ISA. Just £50, but it's easier to top up an account with a DD already in place.

Other than that, having a relaxing dinner of salmon, roast Jersey royals, British asparagus and carrots with Mrs E. A beer may sneak it's way in as well, jogging tomorrow :beer:

Happy weekend all.
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I love a kitchenaid. Still using a stick blender from when they first came on the market though.
  • sweetdaisy
    sweetdaisy Posts: 1,249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just wanted to wish you well with your new plans :). I am looking forward to reading how you get on.

Maybe a silly question :o, but what is 'MB'?

In terms of work, I do hope that you find something you want to do soon. This week in work has been horrendous, mainly due to the atmosphere and office politics that is going on. After this week's events I have now come to the point that I can't continue in this environment for much longer and need to change, so I am making plans to do this.

I am trying to build up my Savings as much as possible and reducing all the Savings 'pots' that I have so that I can maximise the Emergency Fund as much as I can :). I would love to be able to have the confidence to invest more money but wouldn't know where to start. The only thing I have (other than Savings accounts) is a Stocks & Shares ISA.
  • ljaneyr
    ljaneyr Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    5 years later and the milestones of marriage, first home and first car have come and gone. Throughout it all, I have had a creeping feeling that something wasn’t quite right. I don’t get the world of work, and while I’ve never been unemployed in my adult life, I’ve tried too hard to try my hand at too many things and I’m left feeling like I’m an actor who recognises the play, but does not understand his motivation.

Hi Ed,

It's good to see you back :) The above really stood out to me and describes perfectly how I feel. It is something I have been unable to explain to anyone in real life. I'm sure a 'dream job' exists for me, but I'm not sure I'll ever find it.

I didn't really understand some of what you wrote about investing so I'm going to start by looking up S&S ISAs. I'm not in a position to put money away long-term at the moment, but I'd rather be prepared :D

I'm looking forward to trying to understand what you write in the future :rotfl:

Janey x
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    Bought our house 2012 :) Married 2015 :D Started renovating 2015 :eek:
    Renovation fund... what renovation fund? :eek: Emergency fund 40% Future fund... ongoing...
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Actually I dont understand a lot of it either.
  • Hi Ed, great to see you back. I shall be cheering you on from the sidelines :j

Pap
  • HelenDaveKids
    HelenDaveKids Posts: 3,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 3 May 2014 at 10:46PM
    Me too. Never dabbled with investments, burnt by endowments so always intrigued.
    Morgage till Nov 30 GOAL MFW Sept 2016
    Aug 11 - £100k Aug 2016.... It's GONE!!!!!
    2014 GOAL HIT 5 Stone! 2016 GOAL to be a MF marathon runner.
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish"
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    ljaneyr wrote: »
    It's good to see you back :) The above really stood out to me and describes perfectly how I feel. It is something I have been unable to explain to anyone in real life. I'm sure a 'dream job' exists for me, but I'm not sure I'll ever find it.

Me too. In fact I'm sure I'll never find it, I have no idea what it might be :(
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business