PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    They will also very happily nest in my Doomsday Supply of loo roll... I've reluctantly decide that come TEOTWAWKI, we'll have to use alternatives. I can't keep supplying the perfect rodent nesting material in my garage!

Oh dear thriftwizard, not a nice thing to find in your stash of loo rolls :eek:
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yesterday evening, I thought I saw droppings of some description on my patio, I was dreading the thought that they might be from rats, getting bolder, I thought.

On checking, they're bluebell seeds :) I'd left the dry stalks standing, and the seedheads have all split - some I caught early enough to shake them onto the soil and let them self seed where they can, but the rest went onto paving :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I had a neighbour pop round last night to ask me to sign something for her and as I opened the door I found ants crawling all over my front step :eek: They were even crawling up the outside wall! I had put down bait the day before elsewhere at the front thinking I had solved the problem but obviously not.

Once neighbour had gone I dashed outside with boiling water and more ant bait so fingers crossed things are now sorted.

I had a pest control firm come to sort out the "baby mice " er (rats) that had tunnelled under the garden fence and patio space and hopefully that has fixed the problem.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,658
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    the whole of Bromley is without water because of a burst water main. All the borough schools have been sent home.

I have several large water storage canisters but I can't remember when I last changed the water ooops! Lesson in need for organisation. At least we can use it for washing if not drinking.

Thames Water is going to give an update at 4.30. Doesn't look like we'll get the water back on anytime soon
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • There was an item on our local news this morning saying that Southern Water is currently using the River Test for most of it's drinking water supply they're taking 136,000 gallons a day from it and the government has said it wants that reduced to 80,000 gallons a day to improve the depth of water for the environment. When the amount of building and infill building going on in the area, even in our village where they incessantly put in applications to build on every scrap of green field we have left, is put into the equation where are they going to find another water source of that magnitude and enough to service all the new builds??? crazyville!!!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    edited 7 July 2017 at 5:23PM
    That's mad. Should they not have worked that out before they built so many houses> And what's the point of saving the environment if the people all die of thirst? lol
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931
    Forumite
    edited 7 July 2017 at 4:33PM
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    Mice will also experimentally chew on non-food items and cause damage. I've known them to eat sachets of flower food and candles, and they can cause a lot of destruction by nesting in textiles and cardboard, too. HTH.
    I saw a suggestion online to leave out a mixture of potato granules/powder and cement mix/filler. Apparently it gives a nasty case of indigestion. :)
    We are all waging war on rats in this area. The farmer near me won't have cats as he contends they spread disease amongst livestock. So we have rats instead... Yet the lady next door insists on putting out ground level bird food late afternoon and the rats turn up for afternoon tea. Her husband has started putting down block poison. We pointed out the case of a family dog being poisoned by a lump which had been dropped so he nails it in situ. I've told them that ratty might just gnaw off a piece and carry it away... The only safe poison is granules/seeds in a proper bait box and even then I'm not sure what happens if the dead animal gets eaten by something else.
    I did put a rat trap in my shed with a nice bit of bacon. The bacon was lifted without the trap being sprung and I just left it there with no visible bait. Yet next morning result!
    At the moment I can't properly rodent proof the front door so I spray around the door and kitchen with peppermint every night.
  • pineapple
    Forumite
    When the amount of building and infill building going on in the area, even in our village where they incessantly put in applications to build on every scrap of green field we have left, is put into the equation where are they going to find another water source of that magnitude and enough to service all the new builds??? crazyville!!!
    Our council gave permission for a small development on the periphery of the village despite the land being on a flood plain and in an area prone to flooding and in spite of local objections. Yet try to get your niggardly kitchen extension past them.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 7 July 2017 at 4:32PM
    Oh crumbs Mary, I hope they'll get it sorted a bit quicker than they did the one in Crayford :eek: I'm so sorry. Just what no one wants in this weather :(

Oh Lyn, that is indeed crazy :eek:

pineapple Sorry to hear about the rats :(

We had a flat tyre this morning. No idea how it happened, but we were very glad we'd paid extra for a spare tyre rather than one of those repair kits. The RAC man was able to come quickly and changed the wheel very fast, so we were able to go shopping.
    KwikFit will be bringing a new tyre but not until Tuesday, but that's all right. OH has the option to take the car to a slightly less local branch and have it fixed there, but there's no need.

One of the arms of his glasses snapped in half as he was changing his glasses when the RAC man arrived, but luckily he can see pretty well with his previous pair. Just one of those days!
  • pineapple
    Forumite
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    We had a flat tyre this morning. No idea how it happened, but we were very glad we'd paid extra for a spare tyre rather than one of those repair kits.
    Some new cars these days come with a silly little undersize spare tyre which can only be used temporarily and with speed restrictions. So you have to have it changed twice. Totally pointless.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure