MSE News: EE to charge some customers to use data in EU despite 'ban' on roaming fees

Former_MSE_Nick
Former_MSE_Nick Posts: 463 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 8 May 2017 at 3:13PM in Mobiles
Mobile network giant EE has become the first provider to confirm some customers WILL face extra charges to use their full UK data allowance in Europe, even after a supposed 'ban' on EU roaming charges has come into effect...
Read the full story:
'EE to charge some customers to use data in EU despite 'ban' on roaming charges'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    It's no better on Virgin Mobile, they don't want you to use more than 3.5GB roaming in the EU... if you can wade through their T&Cs:
    http://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/our-service.html#11c
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Fair usage of 15GB per what?
    per day?
    per trip?
    per month?
  • It's no better on Virgin Mobile, they don't want you to use more than 3.5GB roaming in the EU... if you can wade through their T&Cs:
    http://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/our-service.html#11c

Think that's their general monthly fair use limit, after which they reduce speeds to 3G. For EU roaming it depends on your plan:

5. To comply with EU Regulations, Roam Like Home also has a monthly data cap in place. If you use more data than the monthly cap allows we may apply a surcharge to any data above the cap. The data cap is set by the Regulations and depends on the price of your airtime plan.

5.1. It’s a simple calculation:

5.1.1. Pay monthly customers: twice your monthly airtime cost (before VAT) divided by the current EU data wholesale capped rate. 

5.1.2. Pay As You Go customers: data up to the amount that can be purchased at the current EU data wholesale capped rate with the credit you have on your account at the point of
  • The-Truth
    The-Truth Posts: 483 Forumite
    Now EE – which announced last week it intends to offer 'free roaming' in Europe to all its customers from 15 June, the day the new EU rules make it compulsory for the majority of the countries covered anyway – has admitted it will apply a fair use limit of 15GB a month.

15gig a month! Well I think most people will manage!
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I actually think its fair to cap , its for access to facebook, email whatsapp etc on holiday , not for Netflix etc to stream movies
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • jb66
    jb66 Posts: 1,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Browntoa wrote: »
    I actually think its fair to cap , its for access to facebook, email whatsapp etc on holiday , not for Netflix etc to stream movies

Says who???????????/?
  • m5rcc
    m5rcc Posts: 1,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    jb66 wrote: »
    Says who???????????/?

Exactly! I use 2.5GB a day when abroad.
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    MSE the article was very negative. I think this is a great step forward for us UK customers! 15GB is very generous and I can't see why people would complain. The overage charges are fair as well.

I would've loved to have this on my 4GEE Max plan 2 months ago when I was in Mexico!
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 May 2017 at 1:01PM
    m5rcc wrote: »
    Exactly! I use 2.5GB a day when abroad.

my point exactly , you got to go some to use 2.5gb a day

iplayer file is only about 600mb

15gb is about 500mb a DAY or 1gb if you make the assumption that the average holiday is only 14-15 day

1GB is ample for facebooking , facetiming emailing and so on
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • tonygold
    tonygold Posts: 1,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    i wonder when we eventually experience brexit, whether this EU roaming will be abolished by the likes of EE on the excuse that we are no longer part of the EU?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure