Why is 'Timing' the market bad ?

Comments

• EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    You can always find a method that will beat the average for historic data. That doesn't mean it would be any good going forwards.

You 'protect' your gain by cashing out or hedging using shorts but either method will limit your potential future gains to the extent that you limit your potential losses.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    SteveG787 wrote: »
    1 & 2 are VERY sensitive to parameter change, a small change of start point can change the whole thing.

Four things I have learned about investing.

(i) The advantages of equities over alternatives (even cash) are routinely overstated.

(ii) Nonetheless you need equities in a long term portfolio if you are to try to keep up with price inflation or earnings inflation.

(iii) If you buy shares when they are good value you can reasonably hope for a good return from them over the next few decades; if when bad value, you should expect a poor return. The best available measures of value are the Case-Shiller CAPE and Tobin's q; each makes economic sense, and they tend to agree with each other well on the two most studied markets (USA and UK).

(iv) When professionals talk about 'risk' they really mean volatility. For you 'risk' might mean something quite different e.g. not achieving the standard of living you had hoped for.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    SteveG787 wrote: »
    1) It is possible to beat the market, it just depends on the parameters you use.
    2) It is possible to undershoot the market, again it just depends.

4) 1 & 2 are VERY sensitive to parameter change, a small change of start point can change the whole thing.
    This is why it is said that you can't time the market.
    It's not possible to pick a favourable start point (or end point) with sufficient precision without the advantage of hindsight.

It is, of course, possible that the random start point one actually picks turns out to be very favourable, in which case one may claim to have timed the market successfully.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • k6chris
    k6chris Posts: 738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The real problem with all of these reversion to the mean (RTM) indicators is that they don't say when, or from what level the RTM will happen. Yes, valuations are above the long term mean and yes geopolitical issues abound (Brexit / Trump). let's assume that will 100% cause a pull back. Two questions, when will that pull back (or RTM) start (so you can move to more defensive investments) and when will the pull back end (so you can move back to equities)?? No, me neither, so just choose a mixture of investments that cover more bases than just equities and then rebalance anually to invoke some kind of 'buy low, sell high' methodology.
    "For every complicated problem, there is always a simple, wrong answer"
  • BananaRepublic
    BananaRepublic Posts: 2,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Professionals who have more information can to an extent time the market, in that they may move out of raw materials, and into another sector, or move away from Southern Europe into Northern Europe, based on expectations from economic and political events. But an awful lot of active fund managers were taken by surprise by the result of the Brexit vote, and their funds took a hit. And the fact that most active funds do not beat passive funds indicates that foresight is in short supply.
  • kidmugsy
    k6chris wrote: »
    The real problem with all of these reversion to the mean (RTM) indicators is that they don't say when, or from what level the RTM will happen..

I disagree. The real problem for many investors is likelier to be that it's possible that those indicators never give an unambiguous signal during their investment career. Timing the market is a fool's errand if all you are doing is trying to fidget around with minor fluctuations in CAPE, say. But occasionally the graph screams "sell", for instance in 1999. I sold all our equities am very glad that I did. "You were lucky" fools will say. No; I was listening.

http://www.multpl.com/shiller-pe/
  • economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    I disagree. The real problem for many investors is likelier to be that it's possible that those indicators never give an unambiguous signal during their investment career. Timing the market is a fool's errand if all you are doing is trying to fidget around with minor fluctuations in CAPE, say. But occasionally the graph screams "sell", for instance in 1999. I sold all our equities am very glad that I did. "You were lucky" fools will say. No; I was listening.

http://www.multpl.com/shiller-pe/

ths issue with this is at what point do you sell. it could be a screaming sell now to you and you sell. then market rises up to dot com pe level and this happenes over 10 years. you would miss out on growth and diviends.

i prefer to look at whats driving the market higher and whether its sustainable. dot com was obvious given the tech company valuations were just crazy. now its about capital fight and simply that there are very few places to park money.
  • kidmugsy
    economic wrote: »
    i prefer to look at whats driving the market higher and whether its sustainable.

I've not suggested that you shouldn't; in 1999 it seemed to me that it was optimism and recklessness feeding on themselves, all supported by Mr Greenspan's folly. The markets were dragged up to loopy levels by a modest number of stocks many of which had no profits and, indeed, virtually no revenues. Moreover I kept meeting people who were not very clever but were earning large salaries for doing jobs that made little sense. It all seemed like a madhouse. But I also read around and carefully checked CAPE and q, and listened to them.
    dot com was obvious given the tech company valuations were just crazy.

It wasn't obvious to everyone. In the City the prominent fund manager Tony Dye was sacked for holding to his view that it was all mad. About a month later the crash began, proving him right. He was sacked in spite of having an excellent record, having been conspicuously right about the madness in the Japanese stock market in the previous decade. The bloody fools who had been wrong both times kept their jobs.
    now its about capital fight and simply that there are very few places to park money.

Yes, it was easier to grasp the nettle and sell back then because gilts looked to be offering a good haven; and so it proved. As long as zero interest rate policies, and QEs, continue, it's harder to know what to do than was the case in '99.

Our Central Bankers and politicians have got us into a fine old mess. And it's our own ruddy fault: we are the electorate.
  • economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    kidmugsy wrote: »

Our Central Bankers and politicians have got us into a fine old mess. And it's our own ruddy fault: we are the electorate.

everything moves in cycles. there will never be utopia for human nature never changes. greed will always exist and this is what drives markets. funny thing is to have it any other way would just be a million times worse :)
  • Cogs44
    Cogs44 Posts: 15 Forumite
    If a simple (or even very complex) mechanical process was possible then someone would have done it already. You could set up a model with very little capital just making a small bet on the market movement each day based on distance from supposed long term trend.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure