What Does Holiday Balance Refer to on Payslip?

pennypincher3562
pennypincher3562 Posts: 2,229 Forumite
First Anniversary
edited 4 October 2016 at 11:04PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
Hi

I was just looking at my payslip, and can see an entry for 'holiday balance.' I've never had this in other jobs.

What does it refer to? Hours, or a financial amount?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    In some places I've worked, you could "buy" or "sell" holidays. For instance, if you're entitled to 25 days holiday per year, but only take 20, then they will pay you 5 days wages for the "untaken" holiday. Conversely, you could take more holiday than you were entitled to, at the cost of a deduction from your salary.

Simplest thing is probably to contact your payroll department to clarify - they should be able to give you the full picture.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    The actual number in the box should give some clue, but the obvious thing to do is ask at work.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The holidays you have left maybe.

Does the figure correspond to what you believe it should be ?
  • DCFC79 wrote: »
    The holidays you have left maybe.

Does the figure correspond to what you believe it should be ?

I've never seen it before so have nothing to compare it to. I previous jobs you just had 3-4 weeks holidays per year and that was it.

I suppose the proper solution here is to ask my employer.

Cheers.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 October 2016 at 4:02PM
    Yep, the simplest - and safest - thing to do is ask your employer.

But here's my guess - and it is nothing more than a guess. But companies will often have different "holiday years". Typically the holiday year will run on a calendar year ( January to December ), or a fiscal year ( April to March ). But it's not uncommon to have other arrangements ( so that "holiday year-end" avoids the busy admin times of Financial or Calendar year-end ). It's possible that your company's holiday year has just finished, you haven't used up all your entitlement, and the figure you're seeing is what will be carried forward to the next "holiday year" - or for which you'll receive payment, if your company offers that option.

Not that it really matters - the payroll department will be able to tell you. But I'd be interested to hear the outcome :)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've never seen it before so have nothing to compare it to. I previous jobs you just had 3-4 weeks holidays per year and that was it.

I suppose the proper solution here is to ask my employer.

Cheers.

Did you manage to get an answer ?

Its not something Ive seen either, anything on a payslip is related to pay, for holidays you needed to ask for a holiday form.
  • DCFC79 wrote: »
    Did you manage to get an answer ?

Its not something Ive seen either, anything on a payslip is related to pay, for holidays you needed to ask for a holiday form.

It was actually hours equivalent to about a week's pay - so a nice early Christmas bonus.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure