PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Council Tax

Options

Comments

• jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    East Dunbartonshire, now £3000! Band G, gone up £400... Not too chuffed at all.

Also East Dunbarton, band H, including water and waste ( which is separate in England) ours is now over £3700, an increase of over £600.

A lot to have to pay to live in your own home, and over 10% of our income.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also East Dunbarton, band H, including water and waste ( which is separate in England) ours is now over £3700, an increase of over £600.

A lot to have to pay to live in your own home, and over 10% of our income.

I think a lot of properties in the area are over rated for council tax. When such a high % are at G and H for what can be fairly modest homes.
  • n217970
    n217970 Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Band E for us is 2k, and thats with losing the local town council element after moving to a village. old house would have been about 2.2k

Plus we are in the north where as you all know its grim. We dont have big wages like the fancy southeners.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In some ways it would make more sense to rate properties by the land area they occupy than the internal floor area or number of bedrooms.

If you live in a flat it is a much more efficient use of land so the land used by the plot could be divided by the number of floors in the block.
  • sheff6107
    sheff6107 Posts: 451 Forumite
    Options
    The system is inheritantly unfair. I'm temporarily renting a 3 bed semi which is unchanged from circa 1960 (single glazing, olive green carpets, electrics from Edison's day). Nobody would pay more than £160k for it.

The neighbour's identical house would sell for £250k, yet we pay the same council tax. The property values wouldn't even have been comparable in 1991 because the people valuating just drove down the street and guessed what the houses were worth. Unless you had a sofa and half a car on your front lawn they assumed every house was in mint condition presumably.
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Mine is £1335.00. Band D property.

That includes single person discount. Expensive part of the country plus the new charges for Adult Social Care included this year for Surrey County Council. Quite a rise from last year.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • WibblyGirly
    Options
    Ours is £1022 for band A. But we get single person discount as I'm a student (so £766)
    0.7% the city council
    3% adult social care
    2% fire
    2% police

I find it strange how different areas calculate it differently. In one of my old places the house was the same size as this one now but was band B and was more money. I'd have assumed living in a city would have the more expensive council tax. Unless its living in a parish that causes the added expense?
  • booksurr
    booksurr Posts: 3,700 Forumite
    Options
    Ours is £1022 for band A. But we get single person discount as I'm a student (so £766)
    0.7% the city council
    3% adult social care
    2% fire
    2% police

I find it strange how different areas calculate it differently. In one of my old places the house was the same size as this one now but was band B and was more money. I'd have assumed living in a city would have the more expensive council tax. Unless its living in a parish that causes the added expense?
    even a student should be able to spot if a parish council has caused an addition to the tax bill as it will create its own additional line on the bill?
  • Miss_Samantha
    Miss_Samantha Posts: 1,197 Forumite
    Options
    Council tax is skewed in favour of the richest/most expensive properties because the range is so narrow.

Your billionaire in his mega-mention worth £100 million only pays a tad over 3x what the poor person in her dodgy one bedroom flat pays.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 15 March 2017 at 10:03AM
    Options
    sheff6107 wrote: »
    The system is inheritantly unfair. I'm temporarily renting a 3 bed semi which is unchanged from circa 1960 (single glazing, olive green carpets, electrics from Edison's day). Nobody would pay more than £160k for it.

The neighbour's identical house would sell for £250k, yet we pay the same council tax. The property values wouldn't even have been comparable in 1991 because the people valuating just drove down the street and guessed what the houses were worth. Unless you had a sofa and half a car on your front lawn they assumed every house was in mint condition presumably.

I believe it's designed that way to prevent people from leaving their properties in bad repair in order to pay less council tax. Logical in a way, however I don't think most of those living with severely outdated decor would be doing so if they could afford to change it. The rising numbers of renters will just be putting up as there is no sense in spending money on someone else's property.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure