PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2016 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Sayschezza
    Sayschezza Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm managing to get confused over my own rules.

This is my first month of the grocery challenge. I had already committed to a work meal out (only happens once or twice a year) so decided that came or of my entertainment budget. I don't actually have an entertainment budget :o but it didn't seem right to include it within the grocery budget.

In realising this has blurred the lines for me. I met a new friend at the weekend and, as we had been walking in the rain, we stopped at a cafe for a coffee. Instead we had soup and a sandwich and I spent £9.80!!! Considering my batch cooking created 13 meals for £3.13, this is a ridiculous extravagance.

My question to myself is, should this come from my grocery budget or my "entertainment budget"?

Whilst writing this post, I've answered my own question. It's coming or if grocery, otherwise I could cheat every bloomin' lunchtime.

Thanks for listening :grin:

My lines are blurred too but not a lot I can do about it really. OH often picks up bits for me and doesn't take the money and last week he insisted on paying for the Lidy shopping so today I treated him to lunch while we were out because he took me to the nursery to pick up plants. Guess it's swings and roundabouts. We don't have joint money and he gives me 'keep' money every month and I pay all bills, holidays and all bits for the house from this and my income from pensions. He does anything to do with the car and entertainment/booze from what's left (plenty) of his pensions. Works for us.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • Hi sorry we're bit behind with a busy start to the month! Can I go for £400 please? Didn't quite make it last month with just over £25 over budget but got to try and believe we can hit target this month!

Thanks!
    £1589.94 cc - DFD 31/12/22; £156,737.24 mortgage free target date 1/10/2026; £158,327.18 Total; Starting debt Jan 2019 £393,068; 60% cleared.
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Please may I join in. I used to do the grocery challenge a few years back, but since then I have lost my way.

My budget will cover all food and drink consumed in the house, OTC medication, toiletries, cleaning materials and most snacks and drinks consumed away from home.
    My month will run from 1st to 28th October, my budget that I'm hoping to not go over is £280 so far I have spent £58.78.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • Slowly57
    Slowly57 Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    pamsdish wrote: »
    Does anyone keep a freezer inventory? BF laughed when i started compiling one the other day.

I'm going to try this ...
    http://www.thekitchn.com/how-i-take-a-freezer-inventory-that-works-love-your-freezer-215763
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I have a fridge freezer, frozen veg, odds and sods, fish, upright 6 drawers, beef and lamb, pork and bacon, bread products, dessert, items, chicken, I feed my dog chicken thighs which I get a month at a time, so big drawer, my own cooked meals.
    I find it`s easy then to take a drawer at a time to write down.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Margaret_ wrote: »
    I rarely eat or drink out but when I do I take it from my 'spending' money which is £5 per week. It's for meeting up with friends for a coffee, books from the charity shop or anything that's not an essential. If I don't spend it one week it rolls over into the next but whatever is left at the end of the month goes into savings. I don't know if that's similar to how you use your entertainment budget, but this seems to work for me.
    Save
    Save

Margaret, thank you! That is exactly what I need to do. You've solved my dilemma :)
  • I am loving this challenge as it is making me really creative. Today to avoid buying lunchbox bits as Inhad run out of bread I fished some odd sausages and forgotten pastry from the freezer. Made some sausage rolls with half of the pastry and added oats, butter and sugar to the remainder to make some biscuits.

I have not tasted them but at least DD and I will be leaving the house with full lunch boxes. Just hope they don't come back full ;)

I am now trying to work out how to get by without topping up tomorrow as Thursday is my weekly grocery delivery day and I want to avoid a spend til then
    Debt @ Sept '16 = £51804 Oct '16= £51,095 1.37% paid off
    Oct grocery challenge = £229.05/£250
    Oct AFD challenge = 20/31
    Oct NSD = 13/18
    Emergency Fund member #209 = 376/1000
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Technical difficulties have kept me away from my computer and posting on here but I would like to join with the now usual £168. My month started on the 27th of September.

I too keep a freezer and cupboard inventory :)
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi everyone.
    I too keep a freezer list in the notes app on my phone having seen the idea on another thread. It's helped me to keep track of things which I now always label.
    I needed milk today but watered down what I had so there's enough for coffee and cereal in the morning. That gave me another NSD which is 5/6 days of the October Challenge. I will need milk tomorrow though. I'm also going to stock up on Aldi Super6 apples before it changes on Thursday as we eat loads and they're lovely.
    PP x
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Evening folks

I tried keeping an inventory for the two freezers and stock cupboard but kept forgetting to cross off/add things to it.

However, I keep my stock cupboard in rows of like things so can see when things need topping up. Similarly, I keep certain things on certain shelves in the small freezer. In the chest freezer I have plastic boxes for veggies, bread and like products, chips etc and separate plastic bags hold batches of things like chilli, bolog, chicken meals and beef meals - again easy to check ;)

Delivery from Mr T today. With promotions and a MOC voucher I spent £25.26, mainly on stock items such as tuna, ground-nut oil and salad cream.

Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories