DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Comments

• Many have asked about dropping to £1 token payments.

I started out my DMP with stepchange. Head first, no emergency fund....soon realising the payments were too high as our budget was tight.
    I then wentbself managed and currently paying £1 to all creditors. They didn't really bat an eyelid. Creation have been a pain, but we are finally getting somewhere with them by ignoring them!
    Strangely, the NEDCAB website suggested payments at £1...our budget left us with £100 split between 11 creditors, but the suggested payments were £1.
    We've already cleared one account at 50%!!
    Love being self managed
  • leanne12345
    leanne12345 Posts: 92 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for everyone's info about dropping to token payments. Is it acceptable to email these letters and I&Es or do I need to do it by post?
    We have 20 creditors so I think I will add a line in the expenditure form for stamps if sending by post :eek::rotfl:
  • Julie67
    Julie67 Posts: 2,362 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks for this HeavenlyHarry I've been panicking for days whether we are doing the right thing. You've really put my mind at rest. Sent our self managed letters last week so still waiting for responses but cannot wait to start getting rid of the debt

Leanne12345 Personally I would post them, I always deal with them this way so I don't encourage any phone calls or emails.
    Started Self Managed DMP 10th May 2017.
    Working hard to get rid of our debt.
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks for everyone's info about dropping to token payments. Is it acceptable to email these letters and I&Es or do I need to do it by post?
    We have 20 creditors so I think I will add a line in the expenditure form for stamps if sending by post :eek::rotfl:

It's best to send them by post. You don't need to send them recorded delivery - just bog standard post.

As an example, if I ever emailed PRAT Group (using the email address they gave me!) I never got a response, but whenever I wrote to them they responded - although it often took a few weeks to get a response but at least I got one. Emails seemed to go into thin air and disappear with this particular DCA.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • I have an account with Next opened in April 2008. Currently defaulted.

Can I CCA request Next?

Thanks x
    DMP Started June 2016
  • I sent an I&E when I went self managed and told them they were getting £1 payments for x many months - that was it :)

I guess if you are already self managing and have been paying payments are per your I&E statement then creditors may want a reason / explanation. Personally I would just write and say that "My I&E has not changed since I last sent you this information and I am therefore not including an updated I&E at this time. However due to unexpected circumstances I need to drop to token payments for the period June to December inclusive. As you are aware I have been on a DMP for x years and I am sure you are aware I am committed to clearing my debts (as evidenced by my regular, agreed payments). Please be assured I will resume payments at the current level as soon as possible and certainly from January 2018."

Or something like that ;)

Don't think you need to tell them what the unexpected circumstances are - you are allowed to have some privacy after all. Seriously - you have been paying your DMP good as gold for ages. Creditors expect blips and bumps along the way. You will be okay :)

Jan -x-

Thanks, January:T. That's absolutely perfect. Off to get the letters written and posted today without fail. Sorry to have made such a meal of this step:o You're a star:A
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I have an account with Next opened in April 2008. Currently defaulted.

Can I CCA request Next?

Thanks x

Why would you think you couldn't ?

The ONLY criteria for making a CCA request, is that the debt must be covered by the consumer credit act, and a balance must remain outstanding, that's it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Thanks Sourcrates

I'm still learning at the moment so wanting to make sure I am doing things correctly.

So I guess it would be worth sending a CCA request?

Cheers x
    DMP Started June 2016
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    vaper
    I so agree with the advice given here by Puzzcat:T
    Please get some sort of emergency fund together before starting your DMP as you'll have no lines of credit once you start and emergencies have a nasty habit of cropping up when they are the most problematic:mad:. There speaks the voice of sad experience:o
    I hadn't discovered this wonderful thread when I dived headlong into my DMP. Stepchange never raised the subject of an emergency cushion either. I found it such hard going for the first year or so as I had emergency after emergency and regretted the day I signed up to a DMP. I was existing rather than living as I'd committed to paying so much off my debts each month that I'd stupidly underestimated my other outgoings:o. I was blinkered, all I wanted was to get rid of the debts in the shortest possible time. I realised too late that there are much better ways of organising a DMP than I'd done.
    Good Luck:beer:

Wise words and I too strongly encourage those entering into a DMP to give yourself breathing space and follow the advice being given by many of those already well into, or on the other side of, their DMP. We too entered into our DMP too quickly and whilst SC helped us work through our situation - they were very restrictive with our household outgoings and it was cut to the bone. I was sold on the idea that we would clear what was a significant debt in 5 years and felt so guilty about being in such a dreadful financial mess at the time, so went with it.

Over the years we managed to put a little away for emergencies but as with CBC I would say we've just 'existed' rather than 'lived' the last 4+ years. I got so depressed at one point and stopped coming onto this forum and just let the DMP plod along. It's only now that we've hit the 1 year countdown milestone that I came back to this forum. I really wish I had done so sooner because I think I would have followed in the footsteps of those who chose to go self-managed. I would have reduced my payments, saved for F&Fs and lived a little.

But we are where we are -and so if you are like me from the outset you feel that you would prefer to have SC or Payplan handle things - don't rush in. Stop your payments to creditors, send those letters with or without token payments and give yourself timeout. Save the £s for that rainy day (which will come) and set up the DMP when you are on a stable footing. Don't worry about the letters you'll undoubtedly receive - read posts on this thread (go back and read the many others) and know that you've got things in hand and all will be well.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Thanks Sourcrates

I'm still learning at the moment so wanting to make sure I am doing things correctly.

So I guess it would be worth sending a CCA request?

Cheers x

Ideally you should CCA all relevant accounts especially if the debts are old, sold on, or with debt collectors.

It's the only way for you to determine the company asking you for money has the legal right to do so.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure