CB ESA Tax Years

A friend has told the DWP cannot pay him CB ESA from March 1st 2016 because he hasn't paid enough NIC or got enough NIC credits for tax years ending 5th April 2013 and 5th April 2014. Is this correct if he stopped working in November 2014 where he was paying NIC from his salary?

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,645
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    JS477 wrote: »
    A friend has told the DWP cannot pay him CB ESA from March 1st 2016 because he hasn't paid enough NIC or got enough NIC credits for tax years ending 5th April 2013 and 5th April 2014. Is this correct if he stopped working in November 2014 where he was paying NIC from his salary?

I'm a bit confused by your dates here. If he first submitted a claim in March 2016 the relevant tax years considered should have been 2013-14 and 2014-15.

I believe CB ESA is only payable for a year - do you therefore perhaps mean that he was first awarded it in March 2015 (where his eligibilty would depend on his NI contributions in the years you quote) and his payments were therefore stopped a year later, in March 2016 ?
  • JS477
    JS477 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused by your dates here. If he first submitted a claim in March 2016 the relevant tax years considered should have been 2013-14 and 2014-15.

I believe CB ESA is only payable for a year - do you therefore perhaps mean that he was first awarded it in March 2015 (where his eligibilty would depend on his NI contributions in the years you quote) and his payments were therefore stopped a year later, in March 2016 ?

My apologies. Reading the papers again (and more carefully this time) I note that he was in the assessment phase of ESA from 3rd Feb 2015. He eventually underwent the WCA in November 2015 after filling out the ESA50 on 15/02/2016 and got 0 points; he went through the MR process, no change of decision, then went to appeal where he won and was placed in the WRAG for 1 year from 5/5/2016.

confusingly this is what the letter dated 16th March from JCP says.

"I have arranged to pay you arrears of the WRAG component from your 91st day 5/5/2015 to the 2/2/2016."

His claim for CB ESA exhausted on the 2/2/2016 as it is only payable for 365 days. Presumably they take the time he spent in the assessment phase into account.

So did they use the correct tax years when he entered the assessment phase on the 3/2/2015 if he has stopped working in November 2014?
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    So he got his one year CB ESA WRAG? What's the issue then?

12/13 and 13/14 would have been correct if applying in February 2015. 14/15 wouldn't have ended at that point so anything from April 14 to November 14 wouldn't be relevant.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,326
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    So he got his one year CB ESA WRAG? What's the issue then?

The OP was asking a simple question about the correct tax years for the claim. What's your issue with that?
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,944
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    why do you assume that dark sparkle has an issue?

if the OP's friend has already received their 365 days of contributions based ESA, then that is the answer to their question and the reason that their claim has ended.

they can apply for income related ESA instead, but eligibility depends on household income
  • Diary
    Diary Posts: 591 Forumite
    p00hsticks wrote: »

Not relevant to op but might be for someone else,
    It's only contribution based esa wrag group that is payable for a year. If in the support group it's for as long as you're eligible for the support group.
    Master Apothecary Faranell replied, “I assure you, overseer, the Royal Apothecary Society dearly wishes to make up for the tragic misguidance which ended so many lives. We will cause you no trouble. We seek only to continue our research in peace".
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    The OP was asking a simple question about the correct tax years for the claim. What's your issue with that?

Which I answered.

The OPs post seems to suggest they think the claim is incorrect, I was simply asking what their concern was. If it has been paid for a year then it is correct and nothing to do with NI contributions.
  • JS477
    NI confusion notwithstanding the confusion is where they say:-

"I have arranged to pay you arrears of the WRAG component from your 91st day 5/5/2015 to the 2/2/2016."

From the 5/5/2015 until he had his WCA in November 2015 he was in the assessment phase.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,944
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    DWP letters are notoriously confusing and poorly worded.

the part quoted related to the first day of the 14th week of the claim. this is the point where a group component starts to be paid.

the letter also stated that this component will be backdated for 91 days.

the confusion is that they haven't actually stated that the final date is when the claim ends, rather than it being part of the backdating
  • JS477
    nannytone wrote: »
    DWP letters are notoriously confusing and poorly worded.

the part quoted related to the first day of the 14th week of the claim. this is the point where a group component starts to be paid.

I thought you only got the WRAG or SG component after you went through the WCA. Up until the point of the WCA however long that took you just received the assessment rate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure