until what age do you pay child maintenance?

Comments

• Soubrette
    Soubrette Posts: 4,118 Forumite
    Gusty wrote: »
    Hi, I am a newbie, so please forgive any errors..
    I have read this thread and I have a similar query.
    My daughter (19 in September 09) has decided to take a further A level course. Her mother (RP) has informed me (I am the NRP) that I am liable to continue maintenance payments until she finishes the new course.
    She is now seeking legal advice as I have told her that after my daughter is 19, I will no longer pay maintenance to the RP, but will give my daughter a 'contribution' directly.
    How do I stand, am I right or do I need to do some frantic 'Back-peddling' ?

Thanks in advance
    Gusty

I think you are right :)

I also think that it is a really nice gesture to continue to help out your daughter directly.

Sou
  • Soubrette
    Soubrette Posts: 4,118 Forumite
    jbbonce wrote: »
    They only take into account the income of the parent the child lives with for uni purposes

They take into account the PWC's household income - including any partner's income, even if not the child's natural parent.

This is the same as child tax credits and EMA.

Sou
  • AnxiousMum
    AnxiousMum Posts: 2,709
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My ex and I have an order that is made in Canada - legally all maintenance would be paid for each child until they reach age 19, by which time the 'child' is considered to be able to get a job. This would stop if the child left school earlier and went into full time work, or, if the child left the home. However, it's always been assumed by their dad and I that the kids would go to university - so the one currently in university has his student loan, maintenance loan, his unviersity trust fund which he gets so much per year from, and he also gets the equivalent of his share of child support from his dad, and some help from myself and partner each month. Basically their dad said it's X dollars for child support for two, it's X dollars for one - only one remaining at home - the difference goes to the one at university. However.......with the child support guidelines in Canada it takes two seconds to figure out those figures! It was nice to come to that agreement though - as under the Canadian laws it would've been ordered anyway.
  • mumoffour77
    mumoffour77 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    So what happens when a child who is 16 leaves school and doesnt work? just stays at home playing computer games? Does the NRP still have to pay child maintence......sorry for jumping on to the thread, but my friends partners son has just left school without taking his GCSEs and the childs mother is happy enough for him to sit at home!! my friends oh isnt happy and says that he should be made to go out and get a job rather than be mollycoddled.......him mum said its not the right time for him!! he will go back next year and do them in the local college!!! what happens in a case like this?
    :jIm going to be frugal:j
    :DIm going to be frugal:D
    ;)Im going to be frugal;)
    Beetlejuice Beetlejuice...................:rotfl:
  • AnxiousMum
    Forumite
    Is the child you're talking about mumffour77 going back to take his exams? If so, he could still be classified as 'in school'. No idea what the 'rulings' on that would be - but......unbelievable that the mum is willing for him to sit at home and not getting out there and being productive in some way.
  • cozzie
    cozzie Posts: 521
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This happened to my OH recently. His daughter left F/T education for 9months, didn't work and the RP still claimed ChB for her. On paper this reads to the CSA as 'NR has ChB therefore they are entitled to maintenance'. After a bit of an argument with the CSA they decided that it was unfair of the NRP to have to support her when she was more than capable of getting a job or claiming benefits in her own right.

Now that the RP has figured out that they are better off financially, the daughter has been forced to return to college for the EMA, ChB, Maintenance etc etc
    "And crawling on the planet's face,
    Some insects called the human race,
    Lost in time, and lost in space,
    And meaning"
  • AnxiousMum
    Forumite
    cozzie wrote: »
    Now that the RP has figured out that they are better off financially, the daughter has been forced to return to college for the EMA, ChB, Maintenance etc etc

Not all RP's are 'in it for the money'......some of us like to raise the children we brought into this world and to also raise them in the way it was intended to raise them before the marriage broke up. Maybe.....just maybe......resident parents want to ensure that their kids get a good education and become contributing members to society.
    Sorry - you probably didn't mean your post in that way - but some of us truly do want what is best for our children. I'm sure that my OH's new partner feels exactly the same way about me as you do about your OH's ex......but, if either of my sons were to leave full time education - they'd have to have been registered in something, or working. If no work could be found - there's always lots of volunteer work available.
  • garfield413
    garfield413 Posts: 70
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Usually child maintenance is only in place as long as there is an entitlement to child benefit for that child. ChB finishes when certain conditions apply such as leaving full time education, and no later than the 19th birthday - even if the young person is still in what may be considered as full time education. Once entitlement to child benefit ends, the child is classed as a young person. Hope this helps
    :hello:On mortgage pay off countdown. Less than 8 years to go. :j Won £50 Amazon voucher for filling in a survey, £100 shopping voucher, £20 Odeon voucher, £20 bowling voucher :T Doing a £2 terramundi jar challenge but everyone else seems to have the same challenge as there don't seem to be many £2 coins around!:p
  • My daughter is 18 years old & at college doing hair dessing coarse 3 days a week am i still liable for payements.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,533
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    3 days a week is still probably classed as full time education so you will still be liable until she is 19
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure