Starting again, 1% at a time. 100 ways to make £80!

Options

Comments

• Little_Miss_Uni-Debt
    Options
    Another quick update, sold my iPod. Just need £15 each for my 2 old phones and that's another percent complete!
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another quick update, sold my iPod. Just need £15 each for my 2 old phones and that's another percent complete!

That's great news. Well done on all the steps you're taking. :D
  • shrimpy_80
    shrimpy_80 Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Little Miss, just wanted to say good luck, and that I love your idea of breaking the debt down in percentages. i have mentally 'borrowed' this idea and am already finding it very motivational. Have subscribed to your thread and will be wishing you well along the way.
    Barclaycard [STRIKE]£7,296.35[/STRIKE] £6134.99 - MBNA [STRIKE]£4,182.88[/STRIKE] £3267.08 - O/draft [STRIKE]£569.31[/STRIKE] £413.59 - Capital One [STRIKE]£1477.55[/STRIKE] £1451.44
    Total debt [STRIKE]£12048.54[/STRIKE] £11267.10 6% paid
  • 7roland8
    7roland8 Posts: 3,601 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You've got us started now and we are anxiously awaiting your next instalment!!
    Think I might need to break mine down into 200% but a great way of viewing things.
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
  • tenbob84
    tenbob84 Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    i find music magpie to be really really bad value
  • craftingmad
    craftingmad Posts: 2,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hello Little Miss,

I just wanted to say well done you - firstly on tackling on your debt and sewcondly for an inspirational thread. My OH and I managed to clear all our debt apart from our mortgage a few years ago and are now working towrads the goal of owning several properties to rent out to eventually become our pension. I am madly saving to try and achieve the deposits and will be "borrowing" the pecentage idea if this is ok with you. £3000 does not seem that hard when broken down in 1%'s. Thank you xxx

Keep up the good work. I will be following keenly.
    Mortgage - £2338.07 BTL 1 £51,089.10 BTL 2 £81,504.52 BTL 3 £77,497.02 No Craft Spending in 2023 0/365 Stash Busting Challenge 2023 0/2023 [COLOR
  • starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 June 2012 at 11:23AM
    Options
    This is a fab idea. Since we got down to £6k owing I have really struggled to motivate myself (and DH) but £60 a hundred times over doesn't seem so bad. Thank you for the brilliant idea. I wish you well in your DF quest
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
  • Little_Miss_Uni-Debt
    Options
    Hey Shrimpy,

Thanks for the kind words! I hope it works well for you too! Now you're subscribed I'd better keep it up!! :D Once I've sealed 1% into a little wage envelope and put it in the box, there's no way I'm breaking into that again. Where as if I had a handful of tenners, a few would probably get spent.

@7roland8 Excellent! Whatever works for you. I think just linking a reasonable cash figure to a significant % milestone makes you think more when you spend. It's easy to get frustrated if you're tackling your debt as a whole. Whatever you pay off you'd always wish it was more. Putting it into little capsules means you have lots of little successes along the way! :T

Hey TenBob84. I totally agree. However, I'm really bad at listing low cost items. Usually after packing, postage & petrol for 50 trips to the post office I end up at a loss. :) I definately agree I could get more individually for each item. I'm just glad that I can put them all in one box and they're gone. I'm grateful for the space they've created too.

Uh oh I think I'm turning into a minimalist!:p

Just researching car boot locations and dates.
    Found 1 broken gold chain that's about 7/8 grams so that should be another 1%

Also I've got a few other things up my sleeve that might bring a little extra income in!
  • Little_Miss_Uni-Debt
    Options
    Wow, I'm really motivated by all of your comments!

@craftingmad - Congrats on clearing your debt. It's quite an acomplishment to go straight into building savings! Also, I'm keen to know - what crafts do you do? What kind of things do you make? I LOVE making stuff!

@starnac - Yes, it's quite comforting to know. Each step for you is only £60 :) You don't have to think of the total, it's just the next £60 that's important!
  • ss3n08
    ss3n08 Posts: 908 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, Gumtree is a good way to advertise yourself for dogwalking because it is completely free. Its also a good way to get rid of stuff you dont want locally because you don't have to pay any selling/listing fees or postage costs. I sold an old computer monitor that had been stuck in the garage for £80.00. Even sold an old car that didn't work for a lot more than expected. We had a load of rubble from a garden re-landscaping which we wanted rid of but didn't want to pay out for a skip, stuck it on gumtree as free to collector and it went within a week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure