DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 8

Comments

• Time_to_face_the_music
    Time_to_face_the_music Posts: 5,454
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    edited 12 January 2012 at 1:51PM
    Oh, I forgot to mention that they want us to cut up the card and send it back to them. Of all the cards (3) we cut up, guess which bits we didn't keep?! *sigh*

Hello BlushingRose

I am sorry you feel so down at the moment, I feel sort of elated but with lots of butterflies in my tummy too because at last we are about to do something about our problems. I know it's going to be very tough and am sure I will have plenty of :( days too.

Is it normal for companies to ask for cards back? I am getting ready to cut ours up and am now wondering whether to send them back with our token payments this month?

Keep your chin up :)
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • Havent posted for a while, but could do with some help. Now self managing dmp as gave CCCS the boot (long story).

Anyway, had to contact Blair Oliver and Scott today re: OH's Halifax CC as I have got permission to do so. They contacted us as his payment plan is up for review.

Had a long chat with them as the balance is still £11,621.33 and one of our biggest creditors. I dont know how, but they managed to talk me into agreeing to pay £370 as of next month!:eek::eek:
    But im gonna have to ring them back tommorow or write and I say I cant do this. Ive done the figures and even with the savings I have managed to put to one side (for mortgage arrrears) we just cant do it.:(

Now im dead scared what they are gonna say. If I could pay it, we would be rid of the debt in just under 3 years which would be fab!

Any ideas anyone??
    LBM: April 2009 - honest debt figure: Secured: £0.00!! (paid back april 2017) unsecured: £53117.48 (roughly):eek: back with CCCS starting again:(
  • BlushingRose
    BlushingRose Posts: 1,621 Forumite
    Hello BlushingRose

I am sorry you feel so down at the moment, I feel sort of elated but with lots of butterflies in my tummy too because at last we are about to do something about our problems. I know it's going to be very tough and am sure I will have plenty of :( days too.

Is it normal for companies to ask for cards back? I am getting ready to cut ours up and am now wondering whether to send them back with our token payments this month?

Keep your chin up :)

Thanks chuck, to be honest I go from 'yay' to 'doom' and back again atm. As you've probably seen, I'm a worrier but I'm hoping that after a couple of months I'll get more of a grip - watch this space ;)

With regards to the credit card companies - so far this is the first time a company has asked for us to cut it up and send it back. What I'd advise is, cut them up but keep the bits. I'd joked to Mr BR that perhaps we should keep the bits in-case they wanted them back, but we'd already got rid of the capital One bits by then.
    Our LBM: Dec 2011. DMP started: Jan 2012. Debt at LBM: £41,568

Oct 2012 = Current debt: £40,548.93
    Oct 2013 = Current debt: £39.054.70

DMP Support number 424 - Long haul number 308
  • BlushingRose
    Havent posted for a while, but could do with some help. Now self managing dmp as gave CCCS the boot (long story).

Sorry, can't help with your request, but why did you get rid of CCCS?
    Our DMP is just starting with them and it might be helpful to know x

Anyway, had to contact Blair Oliver and Scott today re: OH's Halifax CC as I have got permission to do so. They contacted us as his payment plan is up for review.

Had a long chat with them as the balance is still £11,621.33 and one of our biggest creditors. I dont know how, but they managed to talk me into agreeing to pay £370 as of next month!:eek::eek:
    But im gonna have to ring them back tommorow or write and I say I cant do this. Ive done the figures and even with the savings I have managed to put to one side (for mortgage arrrears) we just cant do it.:(

Now im dead scared what they are gonna say. If I could pay it, we would be rid of the debt in just under 3 years which would be fab!

Hi JasperC

Was it because you felt under pressure or did you just overestimate what you could afford? If it's because you felt pressured to agree to the higher payment, might it be wiser to write to them, in case they get you to agree to an unrealistic amount again?

Whichever way you do it, I'd go back to them and say that you've now re-examined your income and outgoings and you realise there's no way you could afford that much, however, you could afford £xxx.

Try not to worry about what they're going to say, what's more important is that you get the right repayment amount for you.

SAAC
  • I'm not sure if I am being helpful, more likely to be teaching my betters to suck eggs :) , but have you ever tried selling your left over foreign currency on ebay? It usually yields loads more than you could change it for at the bank :T

Oh and I almost forgot to say, your blogs are fantastic!

Hi, I haven't actually thought of that - because this is just one note, I think I'll just get it changed but useful to know for future. I've lots of foreign coins - will they sell do you think.

And I'm glad you enjoyed the blogs. It is a strange place to be at the beginning of the DMP, everything is unknown and uncertain. But the feeling of the debt starting to decrease is just great.

Best of luck

SAAC
  • Hi everyone :)

I made my first payment for my DMP with CCCS this week. My bank (lloyds) haven't been told of the situation as of yet as CCCS said they would hold off until I had everything sorted with my new account, although Lloyds have taken me over my already maxed out overdraft by taking account fees so will no doubt be hearing from them soon anyway! I am some what dreading the letters and calls that will come from them when they find out about the DMP, but there you are.

I've just been thinking though- my house contents insurance is also with Lloyds- could this be a problem? Obviously I would have to change the direct debit details but just wondering if it would make a difference to a claim? I would cancel but have only had it for 10 months, not sure if you can cancel if under a year?
  • BlushingRose
    Any ideas about the PPI stuff folks?

• I raided an old piggy bank and sold some Thai Baht notes and coins, then some Euros which were just coins. In both cases, even after fees I got around 25% more than the bank exchange rates. I don't know why it happens but I'm glad I tried it :)
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • Oh, interesting. Thai baht is what I've got, one note and some coins. I've also got about a million Cambodian dong, which is actually worth about a fiver, but can't be changed in this country. I'm off to look at ebay thanks.
    SAAC
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport