PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Comments

• Willow92
    Willow92 Posts: 2,186 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    SavingJane wrote: »
    I have it all in pink lol

Pink's a good colour :p
    Savings £8,865.22 £/15,000 Aiming to save enough for a house deposit.
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    8 items to be regifted moved into the present box in the garage - but i don't suppose that counts does it?
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Does anyone have problems with throwing away old school/college work?
    I literlaly have about 30+ files of old notes that I seem to hang on to, for no apparent reason. Maybe I feel like some day I might need to refer to them... not sure...

I have kept one of my school books from my junior school and chucked the rest. I picked one that had my best drawings in. My general rule in life is just to keep one or two things that remind you of the person or time in your life. When my dad died I just picked a few things that really made me think of him and donated the rest to the charity shop.

I have kept my university dissertations, but nothing else. I threw the other stuff away because I just don't need it. After all subjects do move on and if you did need a refresher you would probably be better of getting a recently published undergraduate textbook out of the library.
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    edited 4 January 2012 at 2:37PM
    YorkieLass that's great - thank you for reposting!

It's also worth checking your local council website for recycling facilities, ours are pretty good up here. Often they will list the locations of recycling facilities and dumps.

Also check what can go in your recycling bin, often you'll be suprised! - we can put tetrapaks into the recyling bin here and in my old area, bric a brac and books could be collected with your normal household waste. Excess recycling is also collected up here (check your area) so I don't have to worry if the bin is full.

Our local recycling centre takes DiY waste and things like plasterboard and the council will also book two bulky waste collections per house per year as well.

Our local online free paper (which is well read up here) has a sales and wanted section which works in the same was a feecycle, except you can easily post pictures of what you want to ditch.

Check to see if you have a local scrapstore - this is my local one (Oxford) http://www.oxorinoco.org/?p=997

I don't drive, so it's a pain to get rid of big stuff, but I am hoping I can ditch it somehow! This evenings task will be ironing clothes to take photos of for ebay, trying to work out the best way to ditch a really heavy German linguaphone course and dismantling a knackered futon base then posting the wood up for grabs on the local online info board :)
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • Yorkielass wrote: »
    Coat hangers - some Tesco stores have coat hanger recycling too if you find you have too many of these.

Carrier bags - many can be recycled at supermarkets - check the print on the bag (I'm actually a no to carrier bags person but if you have a stock pile do recycle them).

Our local charity shop welcomes donations of coat hangers and usuable carrier bags too
    Their=belonging to them, There=over there
    Your=belonging to you, You're=short for you are
    The Grammar Fairy
  • Someone posted on here that they have a local facebook selling page. I am really new to Facebook, so how would I go about finding one in my area?
    TIA:D
    Their=belonging to them, There=over there
    Your=belonging to you, You're=short for you are
    The Grammar Fairy
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Possession wrote: »
    8 items to be regifted moved into the present box in the garage - but i don't suppose that counts does it?

I'd say it does - because you've moved them to where they need to be and prevented 8 items sneaking into the house :) Sorting is part of decluttering :)
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • Hermia wrote: »
    I have kept one of my school books from my junior school and chucked the rest. I picked one that had my best drawings in. My general rule in life is just to keep one or two things that remind you of the person or time in your life. When my dad died I just picked a few things that really made me think of him and donated the rest to the charity shop.

I have kept my university dissertations, but nothing else. I threw the other stuff away because I just don't need it. After all subjects do move on and if you did need a refresher you would probably be better of getting a recently published undergraduate textbook out of the library.

That's true about reaching for a book, rather than files of illegible notes. I will hold onto some of the stuff I did when I was tiny, and some artwork from various courses, but I really don't need to be keeping A level notes :o

Our paper recycling is collected tomorrow, so hopefully I will sort through them and be able to get rid of some of it.
  • aligerdie
    aligerdie Posts: 576 Forumite
    Someone posted on here that they have a local facebook selling page. I am really new to Facebook, so how would I go about finding one in my area?
    TIA:D

May have been me, as I sell a fair bit on our local one. On facebook, just go to the search bar at the top & start typing your town/area and then type sell - something should come up in the suggested page thing. They're everywhere!!! x
    96 items decluttered so far in 2013 :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I am looking after a very poorly doggy today but still managed to do a bit of decluttering. I went through my stash of makeup as a sort out was well overdue. Just how many concealers does a woman need for goodness sake? I chucked out 6.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure