Fine for not renewing road tax

Comments

• Conor wrote: »
    Actually, you could also have been rightly charged with using an untaxed vehicle and not displaying a valid tax disc.

There's no excuse. If you have no covernote so you can't get a tax disc, you don't use the car on the road - plain and simple.

Hey Conor,
    You are exactly the type of people everybody hates. You have probably been bullied at school or your wife is giving you enough stick every night.

Where did you get soo much bitterness. God help us if you were representing the law.
    The law was made up to stop the abusers and not the genuine people who happen to be late with the Road Tax a few days. There is a reason for DVLA not penalising people for being late up to 14 days.
    Surely any policeman or trafic warden who unlike you is a normal human beeing and can exersise reasonable discretion as to the extend of the taxed vehicle beeing late should not cause a problem. I would agree that vehicle that have been untaxed for more than 1 month should get a bit of stick. But a few days to a week, that's ridiculous.

And the thing is that usually people like you, beating themselfs in the chest, are the worst offenders.

Take some lessons in being a human.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Interesting first post kashbg. Welcome to MSE (though I somehow think you've been here a while already).

Why this thread out of interest? There have been some recent equally boring comments by Conor in other threads.
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Conor is only stating the truth. There are laws to which everyone is expected to obide. We can't be making exceptions for everyone who parks illegally, goes past a speed camera at 36mph in a 30, parks longer than the stated rules allow etc. We could all of course do the opposite and tell everyone to speed, park on double yellows etc etc, and here's the ultimate guide to get away with it and never pay a single fine or get points.

Had Conor been making comments about other people's wives etc I would have understood the concern about Conor's post.
  • Wig
    "other people's wives" :confused:

Coments like conor's are basically off topic, not to mention obvious. The OP will have asked for ways to mitigate their losses - by legal means. One example would be to try negotiation.

The same laws that caused the OP to get into a fix in the first place also allow for discretion & dismissal of the charges Or on another level they allow for defence by the accused by various means to have the charges dropped or all action against them stopped.

How can anyone (who believes in the laws of the land) deny someone the right to negotiation or a strategy of defence? I don't get it. And I find it tiresome when people make off topic/obvious comments on threads like this.
  • Thank you Wig,
    I have done some diging around to find out what are the chances of me geting stiched up on my car for beeing late a 2-3 days with the Road Tax.
    Just for the benefit of this thread, I managed to get hold of one managers of DVLA and .......(to cut the story short) was told that 14 days grace exists as far as DVLA is concerned. They are aware that if someone is to Tax their car on the Internet on the 31st, the tax disk will arive within 5 working days at the most, or sometime people involved in their day to day strugle to pay the bills, rent, mortgage and so on are late a few days but do not intend to go gratis at all. For those, that 14 days is not enough to remember that their Tax Disk is up there is a gentle reminder of £80. I have no problem with this at all.
    However, she said also, that Law Enforsment Officers (Police), have the right to issue a penalty even if the car is 1hour late with the Tax Disk, thats providing it get spoted on the road.
    Now that seems to me, serves only one perpose - to !!!! people off and make money from honest working citizens. Why concentrate on catching the real criminals while there is an easy prey.

Hey Anewman, we are not talking here about speeding. I do not know how can you compare a few days late with you Tax Disk with Speeding.
    Speeding Kills. Or that's the same to you.
    anewman wrote: »
    There are laws to which everyone is expected to obide. We can't be making exceptions for everyone who parks illegally, goes past a speed camera at 36mph in a 30, parks longer than the stated rules allow etc. We could all of course do the opposite and tell everyone to speed, park on double yellows etc etc, and here's the ultimate guide to get away with it and never pay a single fine or get points.

Hey man, just a thought - Are you a Coppa? Well you talk like one.
    And who do you bull...t, as if you never drove faster in 30mph zone.

I am out of this thread for good, it served its perpose to me, good luck to the rest of you.
  • kashbg wrote: »
    Now that seems to me, serves only one perpose - to !!!! people off and make money from honest working citizens.
    what, you mean people like you? :D
  • Wig
    kashbg,

Although the official line from the DVLA is 14 days, it actually is ok to do it any time within the first month after expiry, because when you buy it at the post office it is a disk which starts from the 1st of the current month, After the last day of the month you can no longer get a tax disc for that crucial month IYSWIM, so by waiting more than 1 month you will have created a break in your tax disc coverage - and it wil be an unauthorised break (Not SORNd).

However there are obvious warnings for people taxing late because anything could happen, you might break your leg so are tied up and can't make it to P.O..

You might forget.

You shouldn't do it online incase anything goes wrong. At the P.O. you deal with a real person and you walk away with the tax disc.

The P.O. might go on strike.

If you phoned up the DVLA say on day 21 to ask if it's ok, they will tell you to get one ASAP but that you will be ok if you do it before the end of the month.

Now then onto the police, They are enforcing the laws as they currently stand, and I agree it is rediculous for the law to allow prosecution within the first month after expiry. The most they should be allowed to do is issue a penalty notice which only becomes active if the driver/keeper has not taxed the vehicle before the end of the first month (providing the vehicle is displaying the old tax disc in the window).

But the law is an !!! and we have to put up with it.

Anewman only mentioned speeding because I said Conor had posted equally boring comments elsewhere. Anewman knew that Conor had been active recently in a speeding thread here, and he was talking to me, knowing that I would know what he was talking about.
  • Lets try to make this clear and simple.
    If you don't renew your tax disc and you are the registered keeper(you should already have received a reminder) you will recieve a computer generated warning letter 2 weeks later. If you still don't re-tax a computer generated fine is sent out to you on the 1st of the next month (exactly one calendar month after your tax expired.
    If you use your car on the road in the interim you could be caught by the DVLA's mobile enforcement unit who can clamp and impound your car. The police and authorised traffic wardens can issue fines too.
    The DVLA just want all the tax due for your vehicle so if you renew your tax inside of the month following your last discs expiry date they will happily backdate it and no more questions will be asked. However if you want to chance it by using the public road in this time you'll be running the risk of the penalties described above. Fetching your car out of your local DVLA 'pound' can bring a cloud to the sunniest of days.

Sorry but some of what you have written is slightly incorrect. This is how it goes:

DVLA have no legal obligation to send a reminder (V11) form, it's the registered keeper's (RK) responsibilty to renew their tax on time.

The RK has 14 days to renew the road tax after the expiry date before any fines may be issued. During this time the vehicle MUST be kept off road.

No warning letter is issued after 14 days.

The £80 fines are issued 2 months after the expiry date - reduced to £40 if paid by set date, £80 after. Also requests payment of arrears for 2 months of missing tax.

You are right about that fact that if it's seen on the road untaxed that it could be clamped/fined/towed/impounded by either DVLA, Police, Local Authority or Traffic Warden. It also may invalidate your insurance if you were to have an accident whilst untaxed.

If your tax expired 31 Oct and you renew in anytime in Oct and car was off road whilst untaxed then no fine is issued. If were to renew in Nov and sent payment of missing month to DVLA then no fine is issued.

Tax discs cannot be backdated any longer you can only buy one for current month.

Hope this clears things up a bit!
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • Hi, Dilema. Partner has no tax for just over a month. got tax, paid fine and paid back dated tax. DVLA has now sent court proceedings for this friday received last week saying he hasn't paid. When he rang them they said it was for a different tax offence. As far as we can work out its on same car at same time for same thing. Can they fine you twice forsame thing. This is after he had paid everything. He only received one notification regarding tax thing with form to fill in and pay it which he did in August. No other notification was sent for any other offences then this court thing. Can anyone help with where he stands a.s.a.p. just found this site 10mins ago and i am despirate to advise him.

Ive said they cant fine you for same thing twice. He thinks its one fine because a community officer saw the car on the road (i know it shouldnt have been) and they fined him again through their new automatic system of non renewed car tax. can anyone shed any light??????????
  • Hi, Dilema. Partner has no tax for just over a month. got tax, paid fine and paid back dated tax. DVLA has now sent court proceedings for this friday received last week saying he hasn't paid. When he rang them they said it was for a different tax offence. As far as we can work out its on same car at same time for same thing. Can they fine you twice forsame thing. This is after he had paid everything. He only received one notification regarding tax thing with form to fill in and pay it which he did in August. No other notification was sent for any other offences then this court thing. Can anyone help with where he stands a.s.a.p. just found this site 10mins ago and i am despirate to advise him.

Ive said they cant fine you for same thing twice. He thinks its one fine because a community officer saw the car on the road (i know it shouldnt have been) and they fined him again through their new automatic system of non renewed car tax. can anyone shed any light??????????
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure