Grants for new boiler

Options

Comments

• margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Lilac_lady (again)

The only thing to be aware of is this:
    Your existing central heating system must be completely broken and beyond repair. You must agree to the complete package of measures being installed in your home where appropriate and must accept that the final decision on the type of heating to be installed in the property will be made by the Managing Agent, Eaga Partnership.
    which someone else quoted. Although you say the boiler is 35 years old, it may still be working - there may be a bit of argument about that. Make sure it ISN'T working when the assessor comes round to see it!!

Best wishes

Margaret Clare
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. The boiler doesn't heat her water any more. Someone advised me to call out Scottish Gas because they haven't a clue about mending old boilers because they're so keen to sell you a new one.!!!
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• margaretclare
    Options
    Hi lilac_lady

If the boiler doesn't heat your aunt's water then it can be defined as 'not working' because that's what boilers are supposed to do - heat water!

Perhaps after 35 years there are no longer the parts available to repair it, even if ScottishGas wanted to!

We think we probably won't get our boiler replaced under the WarmFront scheme. It's only 14 years old and there are probably parts still available. We're not too worried though - if the thermostat gets replaced so that we can reduce the water temperature AND we get a new cylinder jacket, then that will reduce the costs of heating. If they do that for us this year it will help, then another year we'll go ahead with our original plans, replace with a modern boiler and pay for it ourselves.

Good luck to you and your aunt

Margaret Clare
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
  • flossy_splodge
    flossy_splodge Posts: 2,532 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Hey Margaret clare. Is there somewhere that I can get an overview of what grants link to what benefits? DFo not claim anything although on an extremely low income as I find the DHSS disgusting to deal with and would almost rather starve than ever have to set foot in their offices again however... I have problems with my roof and also with my boiler. I was just going to take a deep breath and hope to get through another winter and so on to next year but if i thought there was some real help available I could kick myself into doing what was necessary. Just do not want to get into conversation with moronic superior judgemental *****!*!@!'s at the DWP if there is unlikely to be a satisfactory outcome. All help appreciated.x:o
  • mleonard79
    mleonard79 Posts: 1,616 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to let people know re the Central Heating Programme by Eaga in Scotland - I've just phoned them and they're not accepting any more applicants now as they've reached a limit:-( Apparently the criteria is changing too and the new scheme won't be up and running until October so the assistant couldn't even tell me if my dad would be eligible.

He's in his 80s and I recently found and applied for the Heatcare Scheme run by the EEAC which gives you a £500 grant and £2000 Interest free loan to be paid back over 3 years. I didn't even think to look for council schemes as he doesn't get any benefits other than state pension so I just assumed he wouldn't be eligible. So annoyed to find this now and see that age is the only eligibility criteria when I've already set the ball rolling on the Heatcare loan! I'm really not sure that the boiler can last out until October though and of course if I do cancel the other scheme and wait on this one there's no guarantee the criteria won't change and make him ineligible but it would be a saving of £2400!! Just wish I'd seen this sooner. Oh well.... Think we'll just need to chalk it down. Hope anyone else that's applied for it got in in time.

Michelle
    :hello: :hello: :hello:
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    What a shame that the new scheme doesnt start until October mleonard79

If thats the case its a great shame as now is the time one should be thinking of getting your heating/hot water sorted in prepration of this coming Winter.

We got our new boiler last February with Ega as we are unfortunately on a low income and have a disabled daugher (not that, that made any difference in getting a new boiler any quicker, despite her prone to the cold).

I hope you guys who are waiting dont have long to wait :)
  • mleonard79
    Options
    Hi Poppycat,
    Yeah it does seem strange timing as summer is obviously the best time to get this sort of thing done. I'm just annoyed I didn't see it sooner and get on that list instead of the heatcare one although got to be grateful he's getting a £500 grant and £2000 loan. I think I'll just need to go with that now but will be annoying if it turns out he is still eligible in October. How did you get on when you tried lilac-lady? Hope you got in in the nick of time.

Michelle
  • margaretclare
    Options
    Hi all, just an update

As explained in previous posts, we had the WarmFront assessor's visit 4 weeks ago come Monday. He was very thorough, has put us down for: heating repair, hot water tank jacket, and compact fluorescent light bulbs.

Only we have been having a think about this in light of escalating gas charges. We now pay £58 a month for gas, that's £30 a month more than at the start of this year, plus £28.50 a month electricity, £8.50 a month more, £38.50 a month more for gas and electricity, a whopping £86.50 a month! The only other cost that compares is council tax at £99 a month. Anyway...

I phoned WarmFront today to ask what progress was being made about our application, where we were in the pipeline. To be told that the installer had been contacted, and 2 days ago had confirmed that they were 'willing to accept the work and would contact us when they're able to fit us in'.

Given that the assessor told us that we'd done the right thing starting the ball rolling in summer when they weren't busy - they ain't speedy, these people, are they? The Geordie lass I spoke to seemed surprised that I wondered why it had taken 4 weeks for 'the installer to accept the work'! I pointed out that the assessor had told us that we need a heating engineer to come round and agree what's to be done with us. Sounds to me like they've decided already and 'will write to us and tell us when they're coming to do it'!

Only that may not be convenient to us. We're away on holiday the last week in August and DH is going for more knee surgery on 21st September.

We have been discussing this, and we think that - for the sake of £2,700 - we may be better arranging it all ourselves. That way we'd know who the installer is - we have a plumbing and heating engineer lives just at the back of us - we'd be able to arrange convenient times, and most important of all, we'd be able to express an opinion about what we want.

You see, we may not want the present boiler replaced and a hot water tank jacket provided, not if we go ahead an replace the boiler completely. We want a Vaillant combi boiler and we want it in the loft. We know that to have that, we need better lighting in the loft and proper flooring where the boiler is to go. We can arrange all that - our local plumber/heating engineer lives along the road from the general builder who has done work for us before, and they can liaise with each other. We don't want the WarmFront appointed installer coming along and saying 'oh no, you can't have that, you've got to have it this way....' When w were getting quotes about this work last year (been thinking about it a while, you see!) we kicked one heating engineer into touch because he wanted to hang a boiler on the kitchen wall and mess up all my picture tiles.

Michelle, is the Heatcare interest-free loan a nation-wide scheme or does it only apply to Scotland? I'll have a 'google' for it anyway.

Best wishes

Margaret Clare
  • margaretclare
    Options
    Hi all, me again

I contacted the Energy Advice people in Essex and it appears that in England there is no such thing as an interest-free loan. Lucky old Scotland again - or far-sighted Scotland....

'If you've been accepted by the WarmFront scheme you should really go along with that'. So we're still in the air as to what will be suggested for us to have done, when, how, etc etc....

Margaret Clare
  • mleonard79
    Options
    Hi Margaret Claire,

Just seen your post, yeah it is only a Scottish scheme I'm afraid. I don't know why the system seems to be so different in England. You'd think there would be some provision. It might be best to seek out some quotes from the engineer and builder you know and then when the warm front do come compare what they suggest with what the others suggested and if its totally not what you want you can always go with your own quote.

I'm still a bit peeved that the EAGE scheme isn't running til October as my dad would have been eligible under the old rules but we're all set up with this loan now and at least we do get a say in what's being done this way. I'm not entirely sure with the new eligibility criteria that my dad would still be eligible anyway - perhaps Scotland will be becoming more stringent in its criteria after all! We're now just waiting on a date from the installer's to come and do the job.

Good luck with your boiler whatever you decide margaret claire - it is quite a task arranging it all!

Regards

Michelle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills