IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Issued a Notice to Keeper - Disabled Badge Displayed

Blue1234
Blue1234 Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 15 March 2017 at 11:15AM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. I've been browsing the threads regarding "fixed charge notices" from private parking enforcement agencies and was looking for advice.

The driver parked in a residential car park - they were transporting a friend who is disabled and holds a blue badge. The car park has disabled bays but at the time of trying to find parking these were all in use. After a lengthy wait the driver decided to snap up a regular bay close to the block entrance door when it suddenly became available as it was clear they weren't going to get a disabled bay and the driver's friend cannot walk very far - the demand for parking in this particular car park is unreal as the spaces offered vs the residents living there is totally out of sync. Nevertheless, the driver displayed the badge on the dashboard in the hopes that the warden would exercise discretion but that was not the case as the keeper received a notice to keeper.

Is there grounds to appeal this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,155
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The blue badge scheme does not apply on private land, but the Equality Act 2010 does.

We will need the name of the parking company in order to help you.

Please start by reading the Sticky thread for NEWBIES then send the relevant template appeal letter depending on the company and which trade association they belong to.

If your friend is a resident, what does their lease say about parking? This will supercede anything the parking scammers say.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If there are disabled bays, then there are probably some words that explain the t&c of their use. Accepting that you were not in one, nevertheless, what does the signage state re diabled parking?
  • Fruitcake wrote: »
    The blue badge scheme does not apply on private land, but the Equality Act 2010 does.

We will need the name of the parking company in order to help you.

Please start by reading the Sticky thread for NEWBIES then send the relevant template appeal letter depending on the company and which trade association they belong to.

If your friend is a resident, what does their lease say about parking? This will supercede anything the parking scammers say.

Hi,

The parking firm is Napier Parking, IPC association.

The driver's friend is not a resident.
  • Guys_Dad wrote: »
    If there are disabled bays, then there are probably some words that explain the t&c of their use. Accepting that you were not in one, nevertheless, what does the signage state re diabled parking?

It was an honest assumption made by the driver and drivers friend that the blue badge scheme would still apply. The signage was not checked. I have been searching online for Napier's parking t&c's or anything that would explain this, however, Napier's website is anything but informative regarding disabled parking so not having the best of luck. The location in question is not nearby either but will have to find some way of reviewing this.
  • I've now been reading the newbies thread regarding template letters, appeals etc. Please correct me if I am wrong but it would appear that my appeal will be rejected using the template letter provided for IPC operators. The IAS appeals service is also biased. So the next step would be receiving scaremongering letters etc. and then court proceedings?

At present I have evidence to suggest that Napier do not own the land. Could I try my hand at writing to the land owner?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,624
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Blue1234 wrote: »
    It was an honest assumption made by the driver and drivers friend that the blue badge scheme would still apply. The signage was not checked. I have been searching online for Napier's parking t&c's or anything that would explain this, however, Napier's website is anything but informative regarding disabled parking so not having the best of luck. The location in question is not nearby either but will have to find some way of reviewing this.

Really?

If you Google Napier and the name of the car park you get the entire 3000 word t&cs from their webpages, for ALL their sites. Having said that the wording cannot possibly be read at the entrance, 3000 words is impossible to take in when standing there, let alone when in a driver's seat!

With Napier, I would advise NOT using a template. You could also contact the landowner and point out this is discriminatory not to allow assisted alighting (which is not parking - helping a disabled person indoors is not 'parked').

I would write what happened, because Napier are 'different' and might cancel a PCN when they see this:
    The driver parked in a residential car park - they were transporting a friend who is disabled and holds a blue badge. The car park has disabled bays but at the time of trying to find parking these were all in use. After a lengthy wait the driver decided to snap up a regular bay close to the block entrance door when it suddenly became available as it was clear they weren't going to get a disabled bay and the driver's friend cannot walk very far - the demand for parking in this particular car park is unreal as the spaces offered vs the residents living there is totally out of sync. Nevertheless, the driver displayed the badge on the dashboard in the hopes that the warden would exercise discretion but that was not the case as the keeper received a notice to keeper.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,256
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Definitely ask the landowner to intervene, that seems your best opportunity of killing this off.

You also need to send in the initial appeal (as per CM's advice above) as this shows (if this eventually ended up with a small claim) that you engaged in the process - it will be rejected, but you have tried to engage. Don't bother with a second stage appeal to the IAS as that will be rejected too, and will give the PPC an encouragement to proceed to court.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport