Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Foodbanks or just practical food help in the community

I'll preface this by saying that our local food bank who was probably set up for all the right reasons has, in the last year, trebled its salary costs and now, for the first time, expenditure is exceeding income. The salary costs now represent approximately 66% of their total income compared with 23℅ there or thereabouts for the last few years.

Ethically, I don't trust them. I am driven to do something, I have a friend in a big city who is giving hands on, direct assistance to the homeless. That's given me some impetus, by we don't have a homeless problem here. We do however, being an ex mining town, have issues of poverty and deprivation.

So, does anyone have any suggestions of how/what etc it takes to do a food bank or food assistance programme?

I'm even considering just bags of groceries on Facebook.

Xx

Comments

• Avoid Facebook as you will not know enough info on the people you are giving to and do need to see a certain criteria so that help is best placed to those that are in genuine need of it.

Factor in running costs like fuel, a place to distribute it from and bills if any then time taken to deal with it as this will all add up to a sum of money, You need to look at the criteria to and cover yourself by only offering to certain people as some will try to fool the system in the hopes of free food and then spend the money they have on drink and cigs whilst others will be of genuine need.

This would be quite hard to police and I think that there are certain costs involved as I said with any bills and then the checking aspect of a person coming in so that you only give food to the people that do really need it, The other main factor here is sourcing a regular supply of food to which will not be easy.
  • AnnieO1234
    AnnieO1234 Posts: 1,722 Forumite
    My initial thoughts are a limit of how many times a household can come, but the rest isn't my call. Xx
  • I'd imagine it must be certain programme whereby people are limited to say one food parcel every fortnight or so, I believe a lot of theses places would have repeat visitors.
  • Do you have a Trussell Trust foodbank in your area? Many of the workers there are volunteers.

You could also find out if local churches or other places of worship run their own foodbanks, as these tend to be run by volunteers as well.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Is there any option of becoming involved in the management of your local foodbank? If it has a management committee / trustees then are they looking for volunteers? It's one thing to say you don't trust them - and you may be right - but a critical friend can be very helpful.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Salvation Army might be better?
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You would need to have a referral system to ensure these people really are in need as unfortunately there will be people who will misue the service. You could try setting up a social enterprise. I guess it party depends how much time you have to spend on this. Alternatively approach a church or community centre to see if you can work together. They might allow you to use their place for free.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    The Trussell Trust website will give you an idea of what is needed to set up and organise a food bank.

https://www.trusselltrust.org/what-we-do/how-foodbanks-work/
  • It never occurred to me that Foodbank staff were paid a salary.
    Here it is run by Church volunteers and the Sally Army organise the distribution.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It never occurred to me that Foodbank staff were paid a salary.
    Many charities start off with just volunteers, but the need for effective administration sometimes makes this unsustainable in the longer term. I'd be surprised if any foodbank was not using some volunteers, but many do have at least one paid member of staff.
    Here it is run by Church volunteers and the Sally Army organise the distribution.
    And Salvation Army officers are paid.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family