Cheap Travel Money Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• dippydooda
    dippydooda Posts: 419 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, has anyone ordered currency from Travel FX? We ordered some today and were told to pay in at Lloyds TSB quoting a ref number. Hoping our money should be delivered on friday, it just seems a bit dodgy to pay for it before seeing the currency and the lady at the bank had never come across it before despite Lloyds being the named bank on TravelFx website. Maybe I'm worrying for nothing but would like some positive reviews...which i can't seem to find! thanks
  • krtb1972
    Options
    Which would be best for taking to Spain?
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 May 2010 at 12:29PM
    Options
    krtb1972 wrote: »
    Which would be best for taking to Spain?
    Euros in cash,spread it around amongst adults,dont keep it all together in one pocket,dont put it all in one wallet,it is perfectly safe to carry approx 200 euros at any one time,dont hide it in the wardrobe,rent a room safe if you have the chance.......this is the moneysavers way to do it......but if you cant trust yourself with cash the alternatives will always cost you money.
    Edit........Or sterling in cash,if you dont get conned by some dodge bureu de change offices that quote a high rate outside but con you inside,you normally get a higher rate in spain..............just ask.....if i give you £100 sterling how many euros will you pass to me over the counter?........if they point at a rate or are not absolutely clear then...WALK AWAY
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • Phaedos
    Phaedos Posts: 595 Forumite
    Options
    If going to the USA, is it still best to get all money out over there on the zero card, despite the fact US ATM's charge a fee at their end anyway? or will this just undermine the fact the card might have a better rate at the best in the UK.

Also will the interest on the card still be applied, if you load the card before hand so it's say £500 in the black?

So basically if I'm going to the US should I use the zero card over there, or just get it changed at the best place possible in the UK and take a wad of cash?
  • part-timer
    part-timer Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    Afternoon guys. We are going on holiday later this week to Lanzarote and the euro exchange rate in the uk is appalling. Does anyone know if we change stirling over there if we would get a better exchange rate?
    MSE newbie and loving every minute :j
  • AndyRen_2
    AndyRen_2 Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Dumbo question I know - but it doesn't appear to have been answered anywhere.

What is the absolute cheapest way of spending money in Europe (euros) overall:
    1. Getting the best overseas credit card (Nationwide Flexaccount Visa Debit / Santander Zero)
    2. Buying your euros at the cheapest place in the UK (with sterling banknotes so no card charges)
    3. Buying your euros once you get to your destination (with sterling banknotes)
    4. Prepaying onto a FairFX / Caxton-type card...?
    Would be good if Martin could put the answer back in the original article.
  • pamelavhill
    pamelavhill Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am travelling to Greece next month and am confused about Euros and how the financial problems there will affect this. Should I buy Euros before I go in the UK? Should I buy them now?
    I have a Nationwide Visa Debit card and credit card and wondered if I would get a better rate paying cash into flexaccount and drawing euros in Greece and use plastic for other purchases? Help - having a blonde moment and don't know best way to deal with spending money! :)
  • Toe-Jam
    Toe-Jam Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Options
    AndyRen wrote: »
    Dumbo question I know - but it doesn't appear to have been answered anywhere.

What is the absolute cheapest way of spending money in Europe (euros) overall:
    1. Getting the best overseas credit card (Nationwide Flexaccount Visa Debit / Santander Zero)
    2. Buying your euros at the cheapest place in the UK (with sterling banknotes so no card charges)
    3. Buying your euros once you get to your destination (with sterling banknotes)
    4. Prepaying onto a FairFX / Caxton-type card...?
    Would be good if Martin could put the answer back in the original article.

This is answered at least once a day on this forum. Nationwide visa debit is the cheapest rate you can get.
  • Toe-Jam
    Options
    part-timer wrote: »
    Afternoon guys. We are going on holiday later this week to Lanzarote and the euro exchange rate in the uk is appalling. Does anyone know if we change stirling over there if we would get a better exchange rate?

Probably Not.
  • Toe-Jam
    Options
    I am travelling to Greece next month and am confused about Euros and how the financial problems there will affect this. Should I buy Euros before I go in the UK? Should I buy them now?
    I have a Nationwide Visa Debit card and credit card and wondered if I would get a better rate paying cash into flexaccount and drawing euros in Greece and use plastic for other purchases? Help - having a blonde moment and don't know best way to deal with spending money! :)

Yes use your Nationwide card its the best rate you'll get. And with the euro getting weaker you could save even more money than changing a whole lot of euros up front.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback