Help to keep me honest

Comments

• Good Morning Diary and all,
    Well it’s noticeably quieter with DS away! He seems to be having a great time with his girlfriend from the photos on FB that my OH is showing me. It’s nice to see them visiting various cities and enjoying the sites. Back here myself and OH are back at work and into the routine again.
    On the MSE front, I have been trying to get my head around our collective pension situation. Not particularly exciting, but I want to understand at least what the options might be. Yesterday, OH followed up with her pension provider and got access back to her online account so she could check her account. Although she has about 23-25 years elapsed time in her career, she has accrued 11 years of pensionable service due to career breaks and having been part time. When we both started out, the pensionable age for men was 65 and for women it was 60. Now our state pensionable age is 67 for both of us. But we don’t want or intend to work until we are 67! So if we want to retire before then, it will be down to the private pensions and savings to make up the difference. I have been a member of a pension scheme of some kind since I was about 23. This isn’t really part of the DFW thread, but part of the bigger picture, that ultimately we are aiming for financial freedom at some point, when debt and mortgage free. Need to do a bit more planning and thinking on this.
    The ‘take your lunch to work’ challenge has been interesting. In two weeks I have saved about £17 plus £22 from not buying a coffee on the way to work every day. So this is looking like it would be around £80 per month if I can keep it up.
    Aiming to early retire in April 2025 - DC pension currently £350k 
  • Good morning diary and all,
    This week I have been starting to think about moving on beyond the unsecured debt and clearing the mortgage. I would like to be mortgage free by 60 if I can (10 years time) so I have options at that point with what to do, semi-retire, retire etc. One option is to shorten the term of the mortgage by 5 years, it currently runs until I am 65. I got as far as talking to my mortgage provider and they gave me a quote. But reading Martin Lewis’s article, he advises making overpayments instead because they have the same effect and are more flexible. I think I will do this, starting when I have cleared the current debt hopefully earlyish next year. I think this makes more sense than committing to a higher mortgage and having the risk of struggling if one of us loses our job say.
    In other news, DS returns tomorrow from his travels. Four weeks later he starts at Uni so we need to get him organised with all his bits and pieces before then. Will probably take him out for a curry on Sunday night, always get more news out of him over food for some reason!
    Hope you all have a great Friday and weekend!
  • Woke up early (for me) this morning and OH is asleep so thought I would have a mid-ish month review rather than wait to the end of the month and look back at how things have gone. We get paid at the end of next week but this is a five week month. Slight anomaly with budgeting as we have to make the money last a bit longer. So far it looks like we are reasonably on track. The areas I am focusing on are groceries (as ever) and spending money.

Groceries looking good and on track for about £400 for the month total. However, DS has been away for the last 2 weeks so this is lower than usual. We have been much better since he has been away at not doing the top up shops at our local CO*P which is really good to be fair and very convenient, but can be expensive. Need to stay focused on this for the next 2 weeks.

Spending money. Usually I budget £100 each for me and OH for the month. So far August is down at £80 for the two of us so far, I think projected to be around £160. I have reduced mine dramatically since I no longer spend at all during the day thanks to taking lunch to work and dropping the morning coffee. Would it be better to take the cash out in one go so you know how much you have to spend? The problem I see with that is it could be an encouragement to spend. There may be a better way to budget for cash than this, if anyone is reading and has any suggestions please chip in! Maybe there shouldn’t be a budget called ‘cash’ at all.

I have budgeted for a curry out tomorrow night to welcome DH home at our local, pretty cheap place. We are going camping for three nights last week of August, should be low cost, just the camping fees. We usually cook our own meals and don’t spend much.

Well I think that’s it for now. I think I know which areas to stay focused on this month to stay in budget.

Have a great weekend y’all! :beer:
    Both myself and OH have got small pay rises, less than 2%, but don’t get me wrong, very happy in the current climate. I do love pay day, it’s when on the debt busting journey we occasionally get to make a big hole in the debt if everything has gone to plan. This month we have reduced the debt by £1000 since everything has stayed within budget. I notice that the debt has fallen below 50% of the original number. I’m going to allow myself a subdued celebration, like Joe Root, because this is a 50 and I fully intend to go on to a century or double century. Or a better example would be Graeme Smith, like him I’m grinding out ugly runs, but runs are runs all the same. I can’t take the credit, this is a lot to do with OH going full time, she is doing really well and enjoying her new job. I’ve crunched the numbers and we can be clear of this debt by Easter next year. 6 months to go, I can see the finishing line.
  • Hello you seem to be making great strides with your goals and debt clearance! Well done to you! :beer:
  • Narola1976
    Narola1976 Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hi....you are doing phenomenally well....nearly there now...keep going!
    Starting Total in September 2019 = £38287.77
    Current Total = £25534.10
    33% of debt paid off so far

Debt Free by Christmas September August July June 2023!
  • Angela84
    Angela84 Posts: 398 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi glass half full, just popped on to read your journey, congrats on where you've got to, how exciting the end is in sight! What a great day that'll be for you! X
    LBM January 2017 £34k will have paid back finally by my DFD May 2021
    got my first store card on my 18th birthday, never known a life without the grey cloud of debt looming over me. 18yrs and the end is finally in sight 🤩
  • Hello you seem to be making great strides with your goals and debt clearance! Well done to you! :beer:
    Narola1976 wrote: »
    Hi....you are doing phenomenally well....nearly there now...keep going!
    Angela84 wrote: »
    Hi glass half full, just popped on to read your journey, congrats on where you've got to, how exciting the end is in sight! What a great day that'll be for you! X
    Thanks so much for your kind comments, it really makes a difference and keeps me motivated and on the path. I have popped across to your diaries and subscribed, look forward to sharing your successes and progress!
    :beer:
    So I have hit a small bump in the road this week. I had to go to the dentist yesterday and I have to have some work done which is quite expensive, actually £500. :eek: Unfortunately, there is no way around it, there is a cheaper alternative but the Dentist advised that the cheaper option would only be a temporary fix and so would probably not be the right course of action. We’ve been going to this Dentist for 20 years and over that time I’ve been really happy with the treatment and everything, and built up a lot of trust with this practice. So I’m going to go ahead with this and get the work done over the next four weeks. So it looks like the emergency fund (which currently stands at £1000) will have to be activated! So my plan will be to use £500 from there in September and then replace that over the following months. I could delay the Debt Free date to do this but I am really reluctant to do that, it seems like a small thing but I have got that target in my mind now, so am keen to make it!

We are going camping for a couple of nights on Thursday and Friday, the last break of the summer before really getting back to work. Aiming to do this frugally as we have chosen a campsite in some beautiful countryside and will be cooking our own food. We are taking DS with us, last little break together before he starts at University in 2 ½ weeks. Overall this month has gone pretty well to budget, I am going to do a bit of a review after the end of the month to see how we have done.

Have a great day all!
  • Narola1976
    Narola1976 Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Good morning diary and all,
    So I have hit a small bump in the road this week. I had to go to the dentist yesterday and I have to have some work done which is quite expensive, actually £500. :eek: Unfortunately, there is no way around it, there is a cheaper alternative but the Dentist advised that the cheaper option would only be a temporary fix and so would probably not be the right course of action. We’ve been going to this Dentist for 20 years and over that time I’ve been really happy with the treatment and everything, and built up a lot of trust with this practice. So I’m going to go ahead with this and get the work done over the next four weeks. So it looks like the emergency fund (which currently stands at £1000) will have to be activated! So my plan will be to use £500 from there in September and then replace that over the following months. I could delay the Debt Free date to do this but I am really reluctant to do that, it seems like a small thing but I have got that target in my mind now, so am keen to make it!

We are going camping for a couple of nights on Thursday and Friday, the last break of the summer before really getting back to work. Aiming to do this frugally as we have chosen a campsite in some beautiful countryside and will be cooking our own food. We are taking DS with us, last little break together before he starts at University in 2 ½ weeks. Overall this month has gone pretty well to budget, I am going to do a bit of a review after the end of the month to see how we have done.

Have a great day all!

Ouch, both financially and physically - I do hate the dentist! But needs must,
    I think it is sensible to get the work done probably and hey that is what the EF is for. And you will still have £500 left if something else cropped up which hopefully it won't. I think its psychologically better not to delay the DF date - you have had great momentum and if you can keep this going then all the better. The progress you have made is amazing, so pleased for you

Have a great time on your camping trip - another chapter in your lives as DS goes off to uni -
    what is he studying? He must be excited. Have you read Martin's guide for those going off to uni? Also, YNAB gives students a free year subscription or they used to - is this something that might help him. My DS is 15 and already she understands the 4 rules of YNAB - we talk a lot on finance and debt because I never want her to be as ignorant and stupid as I have been

Bye for now
    Starting Total in September 2019 = £38287.77
    Current Total = £25534.10
    33% of debt paid off so far

Debt Free by Christmas September August July June 2023!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure