Comments

• MPN
    MPN Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Audaxer wrote: »
    I like the look of the HSBC Global Strategy Balanced Portfolio:
    https://www.trustnet.com/Factsheets/Factsheet.aspx?fundCode=0GF7N&univ=O
    To me it looks like a good option to have in addition to VLS so as not to have all my eggs in the VLS basket. It also seems to have less exposure to UK Equity than VLS and also includes property.

I'd be interested to see what others think of this fund.

IMHO it is a good option to VLS & L&G mainly because it's asset allocation is different to the other two investment companies and as you said it has less exposure to UK Equity.

Therefore, because nobody knows what is going to happen post Brexit it seems a good idea to hedge your bets and have 1 fund 25 per cent UK exposure and the other with far less exposure to the UK.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    MPN wrote: »

Therefore, because nobody knows what is going to happen post Brexit it seems a good idea to hedge your bets and have 1 fund 25 per cent UK exposure and the other with far less exposure to the UK.
    But that's like saying nobody knows what is going to happen post Brexit it seems a good idea to hedge your bets and have one fund 100% UK exposure and the other with far less or nil so you end up with 50% UK.

Or nobody knows what is going to happen post Brexit so it seems a good idea to hedge your bets with one fund 50% and one far less or nil, so you end up with 25% like the Vanguard product.

You don't need more than one mixed multi asset fund. They are all trying to do the same sort of job with different approaches. They are all put together by professionals and none of them bill themselves as a fund that needs to be mixed together with another mixed fund to deliver the right overall result.

So, look into how they allocate their assets and pick one whose strategy you prefer. You don't need to look at a bunch of different ones which you think could all do the job and then buy all of them.
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    But that's like saying nobody knows what is going to happen post Brexit it seems a good idea to hedge your bets and have one fund 100% UK exposure and the other with far less or nil so you end up with 50% UK.

Or nobody knows what is going to happen post Brexit so it seems a good idea to hedge your bets with one fund 50% and one far less or nil, so you end up with 25% like the Vanguard product.

You don't need more than one mixed multi asset fund. They are all trying to do the same sort of job with different approaches. They are all put together by professionals and none of them bill themselves as a fund that needs to be mixed together with another mixed fund to deliver the right overall result.

So, look into how they allocate their assets and pick one whose strategy you prefer. You don't need to look at a bunch of different ones which you think could all do the job and then buy all of them.
    But is there anything wrong with splitting your investment between the 2 multi asset funds, as I just don't like the thought of putting everything into VLS? If they both produce similar results, I appreciate you may not get any benefit, but I don't think you are losing out either, or are you?

The HSBC Global Strategy fund also includes a bit of property and some other different asset classes I see from comparing the two funds on Trustnet, so I thought that would help with diversification?
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Audaxer wrote: »
    But is there anything wrong with splitting your investment between the 2 multi asset funds, as I just don't like the thought of putting everything into VLS? If they both produce similar results, I appreciate you may not get any benefit, but I don't think you are losing out either, or are you?

The HSBC Global Strategy fund also includes a bit of property and some other different asset classes I see from comparing the two funds on Trustnet, so I thought that would help with diversification?

Right, I'm going to confess to having three of the mixed multi asset funds in my S&S ISA.

The advice here when I was deciding what to invest in was to pick the fund that was right for me. I looked at VLS100, Blackrock Consensus 100 and HSBC Global Strategy Dynamic. Deciding between them wasn't easy, and rather than think endlessly about whether I should have more or less UK exposure, more Japan, less japan etc etc (I'm not experienced enough to be confident that I've the 'best decision') I decided to invest in all three. I'm happy with that decision. I can't see any particular downside over having picked just one of them. My monthly investment is just split three ways and over time I should get to see how their various allocations affect their performance.
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TheShape wrote: »
    Right, I'm going to confess to having three of the mixed multi asset funds in my S&S ISA.

The advice here when I was deciding what to invest in was to pick the fund that was right for me. I looked at VLS100, Blackrock Consensus 100 and HSBC Global Strategy Dynamic. Deciding between them wasn't easy, and rather than think endlessly about whether I should have more or less UK exposure, more Japan, less japan etc etc (I'm not experienced enough to be confident that I've the 'best decision') I decided to invest in all three. I'm happy with that decision. I can't see any particular downside over having picked just one of them. My monthly investment is just split three ways and over time I should get to see how their various allocations affect their performance.

Seems fine to me if that's what you want.

I agree with Bowlhead though - Saying mix 2 or 3 of them because of something specific (like not knowing how Brexit will work out) and trying to reduce UK exposure by adding something that has less UK in it is illogical to me. If you think Brexit will work out badly for UK plc you might do that, but if you aren't sure then why guess on Worse when it could be Better in the end?
  • StellaN
    StellaN Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 May 2017 at 6:11PM
    Options
    AlanP wrote: »
    Seems fine to me if that's what you want.

I agree with Bowlhead though - Saying mix 2 or 3 of them because of something specific (like not knowing how Brexit will work out) and trying to reduce UK exposure by adding something that has less UK in it is illogical to me. If you think Brexit will work out badly for UK plc you might do that, but if you aren't sure then why guess on Worse when it could be Better in the end?

But surely if some posters feel happier with 2 multi asset funds with different asset allocations then that's fine isn't it? I do agree though that 3 is going too far. The VLS and L&G bother have about 25 per cent UK so I personally would choose one of them mixed with the HSBC fund.
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    StellaN wrote: »
    But surely if some posters feel happier with 2 multi asset funds with different asset allocations then that's fine isn't it? I do agree though that 3 is going to far. The VLS and L&G bother have about 25 per cent UK so I personally would choose one of them mixed with the HSBC fund.

That's what I said, or at least that what I meant by:

"seems fine to me if that's what you want"
  • roxy28
    roxy28 Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I am looking at the HSBC fund on Hargreaves & Landsdown and they leave it out of the wealth 150 sector, so to them its not one of the best funds in that sector.
    Is that bad?
    :T
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    roxy28 wrote: »
    I am looking at the HSBC fund on Hargreaves & Landsdown and they leave it out of the wealth 150 sector, so to them its not one of the best funds in that sector.
    Is that bad?

Don't think of that list as a list of quality. It is more marketing. One thing you really need to get used to is that HL do not provide advice. They do not measure quality. They issue tons of marketing and it can be dressed up to appear as advice.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • jamei305
    jamei305 Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ignore the Wealth 150+, HL do not publish their criteria for inclusion, so it probably includes things like "how much profit will this make for us compared to other funds" and not much else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure