Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How do you go about the credit do you wait for a phone call from sky?
    You could but I'd suggest being more pro-active. If you don't get something that you're happy with just say no thanks and try again (phone or live chat) later. You do have to put the work in if you want the best deal, however that said 60% off with little effort isn't to be sneezed at.
  • Trickytrotter
    Options
    I let my cancellation happen at the end of Jan as the 60% offered regularly only applied to my TV package (everything incl sports and cinema) but not HD pack and 1 multiscreen. The best I could get was reduction from £92 to £44 plus £30 credit.

Had another email and letter this week offering 60%. Went on chat last night and same result £44 and told offer didn't apply to multiscreen. Said no and then offered 75% off TV, 60% off HD and full price multiscreen, 12 month discount for 12 month contract - monthly cost £32.90. Delighted but held my nerve and said any chance of an 18 month discount, told no, but how about £50 credit as well?

Equivalent to £28.73. Result! :j
  • itsamysterytome
    Options
    I was thinking of switching to BT (broadband & phone) because of their offer. I phoned Sky (who I am perfectly happy with service wise), I didn't haggle as such just said I was thinking of switching to BT but hoped they could do me a better deal to keep me.
    I'm happy as I got offers which reduced my bill by 35%; it took an 18 minute phone call to them.
    I probably should have haggled and got more, but I'm happy I'm better off each month for an easy phone call.
    Thank you MoneySavingExpert and to other forum members for your inspiration!
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    well no wonder I havent received any calls from Retentions since I called to cancel 3 weeks ago. Today I called to see when i was due to end with Sky, and was told there was an error when my cancellation was first put through.

It was sorted in the end after a 20 min phone call though and I should finally finish with Sky in about 8 days. I have the cancel confirmation email through as well.

Amazingly crap customer service and this isnt the first time this has happened. I remember the same thing happened last year as well. They always seem to have problems cancelling my account and it requires a proactive call from me to force the cancellation to go through.

I look forward to lots of phone calls from retentions now.

Perfectly happy to be without for as long as it takes to get a deal I'm happy with.
  • shiny76
    shiny76 Posts: 548 Forumite
    Options
    Phoned Sky to cancel TV (already switching broadband & phone to NowTV), I'm hardly a high value customer.

I was (immediately) offered 75% off on a 18 month contract, meaning better value than NowTV's offer, along with a visit from an engineer to look at the (intermittent) faults we've experienced with the Sky+ box.

TV bill down from £22/month to £5.53/month. Not exactly life changing amounts but better in my account than theirs!
  • black_paw
    black_paw Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dinglebert wrote: »
    Current 12 month deal (full package) was £30 for me which ends early May
    Phoned end of last week Best offer for same package £50.40.
    Checked Sky Box today and 60% offer is there.
    Phoned and asked for it to be started after current deal ends. They counter offered to start new deal today but give £50 credit on account.
    I said yes. In effect less than £28 a month for full package.

Hi sorry what do you mean by ...Checked Sky Box today ,,,, ???
    the truth is out there ... on these pages !!
    <3
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    shiny76 wrote: »
    Phoned Sky to cancel TV (already switching broadband & phone to NowTV), I'm hardly a high value customer.

I was (immediately) offered 75% off on a 18 month contract, meaning better value than NowTV's offer, along with a visit from an engineer to look at the (intermittent) faults we've experienced with the Sky+ box.

TV bill down from £22/month to £5.53/month. Not exactly life changing amounts but better in my account than theirs!
    I didn't even know NowTV did BB & phone but unless you've got a special offer you're paying £24.99 a month to Sky (they own NowTV) which is dearer than line rental only at £18.99 from Sky (easily got although there would be a contract).
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    Options
    I wonder whether they are doing these good offers as they don't have to provide a Q box and the new cabling required.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    Options
    black_paw wrote: »
    Hi sorry what do you mean by ...Checked Sky Box today ,,,, ???
    You can be offered unrequested deals in a number of ways : over the phone, by email, by post, via your online My Sky account or by using the Sky remote to search offers which will show on the tv screen.
  • benjitheman
    Options
    I currently have an offer for new customers that expires in May whereby I pay £35 a month for Sky+HD with all channels including sports and movies. Does anyone know if there is much chance of successfully negotiating a decent deal for next year or am I better off bracing myself for a good financial kicking should I want to stay with Sky?

I'd also be interested in adding broadband and basic phone package to my Sky as I'm not that impressed with BT who I've been with for the last year. Is this something I should mention on first contact or negotiate the TV and then try and join B'band as a new customer?

Thanks very much
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure