Balancing not just the budget

Options

Comments

• RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MuffinTops wrote: »
    Ahhh, get well soon Rosa. I hope you're feeling much better today, or can at least have a nice rest day if you're not.

I had a look at the style statement. Did you buy the book or kindle version? I'm not sure if it needs a book to write bits in or if the kindle version is easier as it's less "stuff"?

I'm playing catch up this month, which isn't ideal. Plus there are 2 important birthdays I have to find funds for! I have some things already in the budget, but not everything. Plus christmas is around the corner. I need some savvy thinking!

Well done on the bag!

Take lots of care of yourself.

Thanks MT - I love sunflowers :)

I feel much better today, I think often just a few hours extra sleep helps my body fight off whatever was approaching.

I've been skimming the style statement book and it's very much designed for you to write in, so think it made sense to get the hard copy. I haven't really got into it yet but it's more ideas brewing in the back of my mind iyswim. Some of the reviews say it's repetitive, but I think that's the format rather than the content - they give you a set of questions to think through for each area of your life, then suggest you note the themes and words that you find come out of the answers.

Re birthdays, I've started an Amazon wish list called 'Ideas for presents' so I can just note the item and who it's for. The idea is to help find the right thing within budget when the birthday comes up... though I've just looked and obviously I bought everything because it's empty :rotfl: time to start again!

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • moneyonmymindsam
    Options
    I so need the style statement book ...what's the saying What is style I am style ;-P

So sorry to hear you've been not well ....still very jealous of your moggie footwarmers ...heading in to winter I sure could find a use for the moggies ...:)

Give yourself a break now and again I know you worked so hard to get out of debt but you have done amazing and sometimes the things you spend on seem to me to be an investment in you ...and You're worth it :)

No bath's of late for me so have not laid on the bath to contemplate direction of own life recently.

Things are good ...and as you know I am ruthless with clutter but it does to have just seemed to have stacked up again?? what, when and how I am not sure ....so I have seriously taken my eye of the ball and need to get a shift on to get resorted.

Thinking of you and hope that you are feeling better

Sam
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Feeling much better thank you Sam - have had a major tidy of my bedroom and very pleased with the results. I can see what you mean about clutter creeping in...

It's funny, I think one of the benefits of trying to keep on top of clutter is just refreshing the place so you don't end up surrounded by old sad things. I suddenly found a couple of drawers which I swear must be the only thing I haven't tidied out since I moved here, and they included some things I definitely did not want hanging around spreading sad karma. So all is now cleared out, tidied and I've had a good clean today as well!

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Well having decided to put off house buying and save up, I've put my next few paycheques into YNAB and done a bit of advance budgeting.

I should be able to get clear of my last CC and pay my next college fees before my birthday early next year. If I scrimp, I might also be able to pay off the car loan from my parents - but anyway I will be able to get rid of that before I finish college and look at what next.

I'm finding it rather harder to set goals at this stage of my journey. I no longer want a steep challenge - partly because I'm tired of that, partly because I no longer have to do it, and partly because I now want to be doing FUN things (enjoying the benefits of all my hard work). Somehow deciding what debt needs to be killed when doesn't give me quite the same buzz as it used to - and I've ended up deciding not to worry about it. I will try and clear the remaining CC before I need to pay my college fees, which shouldn't be too hard. The car loan can wait til after that, as it's totally flexible - my only real motivation for paying this off sooner is because I'd like to clear that before I may borrow a deposit from my parents, as I'd like to keep the two separate. I've also though of something I think I want to celebrate finishing college - so am looking out for it on Ebay and will buy it if it turns up, it's a bit expensive for just treating myself but I think worth it for a marker of celebration :) . And I will have a party of some sort too :D

I am very tempted to go away again this month, only for a few days - it would be expensive but would mean a lot to me. It's a lovely feeling to realise that I can do that without worrying, and that seems now more of a motivation to keep watching my money than debt busting. Like things are swinging from a negative to a positive motivation :T . This is goooood. :D I kind of hadn't expected that, probably because I hadn't thought about getting this far :o . So it's a nice surprise. I'm also loving being able to do things for friends without any thought of the money - no need to watch the restaurant bill, ask for petrol contributions, etc. So hopefully the good habits will stay and help bring more good stuff to come :)

Rosa xx
  • moneyonmymindsam
    Options
    Advance Budgeting and decluttering - Well done you :) Am very, very impressed :)

RE: steep challenge - partly because I'm tired of that - I hear you ..lol

How are you feeling better I hope? Love to you and the moggie footwarmers :)
    🌟
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Helo Rosa,

I completely understand the feeling of just being tired of hitting debts, especially because you're in a good place.

To keep that motivation and focus, is there anything you want to save up for? For me it's a Gold Pot of Freedom, but for you may be something else. That's really done a lot to keep me from royally falling off the financial wagon. That is just what works for me though, as I need to have a goal to aim for or I'm all over the place.

Where would your getaway be this month? Will you see the lovely man? I've planned a weekend away again, and although I do worry about how many times I seem to be going away and how much gets spent when I do, these are things that help me enjoy my life and isn't that why we work so hard?

I hope you're feeling better now and not put off at all by this rubbish weather.

MTx
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Well all is still on track for now...

I've decided not to go away again - which is a shame but still probably the right decision. If I had gone there would have been a chance of seeing the lovely man again but I think I'd probably better let that idea go, we haven't really been in contact much and are a long way apart so perhaps better to focus on finding another lovely man :D

I'm settling into the new job and feel much happier about that. I'm also still really pleased that I decided not to buy a house yet, and that I've narrowed down my priorities. I only really have three things I need to do over the next six months - pass college, settle into new job, and enjoy myself. I am not worrying about anything else or how I do it (which is why I haven't fussed about spending money on prepped food while I'm studying in the evenings, or given myself any time limits for decluttering). I think this is the closest I've even been to doing one thing at once :rotfl:

I'm away this weekend which is partly for training but also involves spending time with some of my friends from college, including some of my very favourite people in the whole world :j so I am very excited and now off to try on options for the evening do :T

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    MT that's a very good point about a next goal - and I'm not quite sure what my answer is at this point. I think that's partly why I decided against buying a house just yet. I will have some new options after I finish college, as well as more time, so I think probably more will come to mind as that gets closer.

Rosa xx
  • moneyonmymindsam
    Options
    Hope your Weekend was good :) Keep up the good work :)
    🌟
  • RosaBernicia
    edited 3 January 2016 at 11:35PM
    Options
    I had a mostly lovely weekend, thank you :) . I saw some friends who I haven't caught up with in person for ages, including skiving some of the workshops to have breakfast with one of my very favourite people. I also ran into a contact from college and there is some potential good news there, and met some new lovely people in the field so am very glad I went.

There is a slight downside to the weekend in that the friend I shared a room with has p'd me off a bit... but as a much wiser friend has said, you sometimes don't get the full story til you go away with people and it's far better to find out now than after making any other plans with her.

I will catch up on YNAB shortly... I think there is a possibility that if I'm not going away, I could get everything but the car loan from my parents paid off by the end of the year. I'd then have the final college bill to pay off in Jan or Feb, and the remainder of the car loan which could either go by end of Feb if I want to push it, or later if I decide that I want some more flexibility.

:money: wise, I haven't been spending much as the weekend was mostly paid for in advance - though I am not managing to cook at the minute and think I had better give up buying fresh veg in favour of frozen where possible.

I am also trying to think of something nice I could do for a friend who is skint at the moment - it's her birthday and also her partner's soon. I can find her something clothes or jewellery wise, but am wondering if there's anything I can get them that would help with a celebration - might just ask her I suppose.

Rosa xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family